Airbus A340-300

Here is one that has been cluttering my version of Victorville for a while.

A Revell A340-300. I saw a nice build over at ARC where the inboard pylons were corrected. The engines hung too low so I had to do it with mine.

Pylons removed from the nacelles

144_Luft_A340_01_zpshdzac3c1.jpg

Pylons attached, of course some putty is involved and has to be cleaned up when set

144_Luft_A340_02_zpsklvcmtfg.jpg

I did not take many early progress shots.

144_Luft_A340_02a_zpsywbib8jf.jpg

144_Luft_A340_06_zpsevwg2k53.jpg

Here is is how is stands now

144_Luft_A340_03_zpsdum3ldwi.jpg

I have filled some cabin windows

144_Luft_A340_04_zpsmjqca2j0.jpg

and added some antennas, lumps and bumps

144_Luft_A340_05_zpscfxxtnsz.jpg

and finally test fitted the engines to check sit and ground clearance

144_Luft_A340_08_zpsk1gfqlzf.jpg

144_Luft_A340_07_zpsj8cvxulb.jpg

• Like 5

I have one in the stash to re do my SAA aircraft, so am paying rapt attention here.. (Trying, in vain so far, to get the decals for the 2012 London Olympics )

Did not know about the engines - I am learning already.

Cheers,

Mike

Very interesting Ray, thanks for sharing. I don't usually fit the undercarriage and engines until much later in the build so I'll be interested to see how you go about masking when you get to that stage.

Any chance of link to the ARC article? I had a look but couldn't find it.

I am trying something different this time with this build. So I am sticking as much as I can on before paint. With the scheme being overall white there should be minimal masking. :pray::D

Here is the link to the ARC thread

I am trying something different this time with this build. So I am sticking as much as I can on before paint. With the scheme being overall white there should be minimal masking. :pray::D

Here is the link to the ARC thread

Thanks Ray. What a great link! Jelle has done an excellent job of the Air Tahiti Nui scheme. I have the Brazil Decals Royal Jordanian sheet and the two of you are definitely giving me ideas.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Definitely looking the part now Ray. It's particularly interesting to see a non-airline livery on an airliner if you see what I mean! I saw the sister aircraft 16+01 ("Angie 1") at MUC a few years ago and thought it looked simple and stylish. Your model is well on the way to capturing that impression.

Thanks for the comments every one. :D

I have a bit of a theme of airliners in military service running through the collection and have a few more to do.

Jessica, this build was a bit of a rush initially and there were a few things I for got to do. I usually fill the windows but as the decal sheet for the scheme had only window frames I had to fill them with clear cement forgetting that I need to paint the interior.

Currently adding the last decals and gear doors, almost done.

I note that the inside is still white. May I suggest that you paint the next one black or dark grey inside to prevent it from seeming too bright when you look in the windows?

They've left the lights on Jessica. :winkgrin:

Very nice Ray - and look at the ground clearance on those engines!

That theme you referred to - Presidential jets?

Cheers,

Mike

Yes Mike, Presidential/Head of State types. I have a Dragon AF1 to do. There are some really nice schemes becoming available in decal form now.

Very impressive indeed. She'll soon be ready for RFI !

Yep, just need to gloss coat (again) and take some better pictures in daylight.