RN Corsair options

NAVY870

A loverly 1/32nd scale Tamiya F4U-1A followed me home today and being somewhat fond

of Royal Naval aviation I'd like to convert it into something resembling a BPF bird. Preferably one that

paid a visit to NAS Nabbington (or as we call it NAS Nowra)

I have a couple of photo's of BPF Corsairs and Avengers parked in the same place as we operated A-4's from

many years later. I'm guessing they were Corsair IV's

Is it doable with this kit? Besides wing tips and some mods in the office is there any other majors changes?

TIA

The major differences are that the MkIV has plumbing for 2 fuel tanks to be fitted underneath either side of where the MkII has its external fuel tank. These look like 2 pylons and can also be fitted with bombs. The propeller is slightly shorter and should be the equivalent of 13'1". The canopy that comes with the F4u-1a can be suitable for some MkIV's but you need to check the references otherwise they have the slightly different bubble canopy without overhead framing. Most will also have a slightly longer tailwheel.

I don't know if the kit contains those parts?

• Like 1

Techmod do a 1/32nd RN Corsair sheet which includes BPF markings if you need some,......although the options are all camouflaged and not the later all blue Mk.IV. Eagle Cal have also done some RN Corsairs but I`m not sure about the options on that sheet.

Fundecal also do a sheet of RN Corsairs but they are for camouflaged aircraft wearing th earlier Eastern Fleet roundels.

Good luck,....I`m currently building a Corsair Mk.I and intend to build a Corsair Mk.II/III at a later date.

Tony,

• Like 1

If the Corsairs are in Sea Blue Gloss, they're Mk IVs. Otherwise they're Mk.IIs (if deployed to Australia).

Operationally deployed Corsairs (can't speak for the Mark Is that stayed Stateside or the Mark IIIs used for training) had a small intake either side of the lower fuselage about midway between the wings and tailplane and a larger outlet on the fuselage underside. Believe I have seen some stunningly clear photos of these somewhere on this site in the last week or so (but may be mistaken).

At least one Corsair Mk.III sneaked through to serve with the Eastern Fleet/BPF and it appears on the Fundecal sheet. As they were delivered in US Navy camouflage most Mk.III`s were re painted in British Temperate Sea Scheme colours as opposed to the ones painted in US equivalents in the States.

Cheers and good luck with your model,

Tony

Nick,

The serial of JS706 is readable in one of the captured images in the Fundekals PDF instructions. 1836 service in autumn of 1944 is consistent with Sturtivant's entry, which only starts in April 1945. Ray did a fantastic job on FAA Aircraft 1939-45, but the entries are only as complete as the data he was working with and inevitably, like the rest of us, he also made mistakes. Lee and Mick are producing a revised edition of 1939-45, as you probably already know.

IG

Edited by iang

Nick,

The serial of JS706 is readable in one of the captured images in the Fundekals PDF instructions. 1836 service in autumn of 1944 is consistent with Sturtivant's entry, which only starts in April 1945. Ray did a fantastic job on FAA Aircraft 1939-45, but the entries are only as complete as the data he was working with and inevitably, like the rest of us, he also made mistakes. Lee and Mick are producing a revised edition of 1939-45, as you probably already know.

IG

Glad to be corrected and thanks for your take on this airframe. I couldn't make out the serial on the print I took of the Fundekal instructions but I can just see it on the on-screen version.

Possibly of greater interest to OP is that the Fundekal instructions are the source of those stunningly clear photos of the FAA-specific fuselage intakes and outlets I referred to in Post 4:

http://www.fundekals.com/corsair_48_72.html

• 1 year later...

Steve, in Norman Hanson's autobiography (CO of a BPF Corsair Squadron), he mentions ditching a Corsair astern of Illustrious and being saved by the "Q Type" harness that was fitted and how it was superior to the old Sutton Harness. The fitting of newer quick release harnesses is I think supported by archival research but a lot of my references are in storage ironically not far from Nowra but about 6000km from me.

Cheers,

Ken

On 9/15/2015 at 5:47 AM, 85sqn said:

The major differences are that the MkIV has plumbing for 2 fuel tanks to be fitted underneath either side of where the MkII has its external fuel tank. These look like 2 pylons and can also be fitted with bombs. The propeller is slightly shorter and should be the equivalent of 13'1". The canopy that comes with the F4u-1a can be suitable for some MkIV's but you need to check the references otherwise they have the slightly different bubble canopy without overhead framing. Most will also have a slightly longer tailwheel.

I don't know if the kit contains those parts?

Hi!

This is not quite true. The Corsair IV was a Goodyear built F4U-1A or F4U-1D Corsair. You need the serial number to determine which version the a/c is. One of the distinguishing features of the -1D from the -1A is the removal of the wing fuel tanks, and the addition of the plumbed pylons under the stub wings. The -1A does not have these features.

Bruce

• Like 1

Hi All!

In reading through this thread, several things caught my eye, so again  here is my take on the FAA's Corsairs.

Corsair I: Vought built F4U-1. Some had wingtips clipped, but most did not. Many also had the bulge on the canopy for the rear view mirror. Check an image to see which were equipped. Cockpit was probably in either dull dark green or bronze green. All in (delivered in) temperate sea scheme using US equivalent colors of Olive Drab and US Sea Grey uppers and a light grey undersides. Wheel wells underside color

Corsair II: Vought built F4U-1A or F4U-1D (Need serial to determine which is which). All in (delivered in) temperate sea scheme using US equivalent colors of Olive Drab and US Sea Grey uppers and a light grey undersides. USN Non-specular Light grey used initially and other grey(s) later. Early IIs had dull or Bronze green interiors, and later interior green to console then black above. Wheel Wells underside color. Most if not all had the CO extraction system installed.

Corsair III: Brewster built F3A (F4U-1A). NO F4U-1D equivalents were built. Initial deliveries in USN's tri-color scheme. Later in ?. The question is all of Brewster's records were discarded when the USN took command of the factory and shut it down. It is known that the last deliveries were in the temperate sea scheme using colors which were close to the MAP shades. Interior in interior green to the consoles, then b lack above. Wheel wells the underside color.

Corsair IV: Goodyear built FG-1 (F4U-1A) and FG-1D (F4U-1D). Need serial to tell the difference between marks. ALL delivered in Glossy Sea Blue.with the cockpit in interior green to the consoles with black above. Wheel wells in the underside color. Most if not all had the CO extraction system installed.

I do hope this helps.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce Archer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Archer said:

Hi!

This is not quite true. The Corsair IV was a Goodyear built F4U-1A or F4U-1D Corsair. You need the serial number to determine which version the a/c is. One of the distinguishing features of the -1D from the -1A is the removal of the wing fuel tanks, and the addition of the plumbed pylons under the stub wings. The -1A does not have these features.

Bruce

You are correct but there aren't many photos of BPF aircraft that are FG-1A/Corsair IV aside from the FAAM KD431and I gave that advice as a generalisation. As ever references and photos are key. In a similar vain you can also have Corsair MkII's which are F4U-1D standard and are plumbed in to accept the two fuel tanks (which I have never seen carried on a British corsair) or bombs (something that was used plenty by BPF a/c). There are several photos kicking around of 1830/1833 Sqn a/c upturned after going into the barrier and exposing the stubs.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

On 19/01/2017 at 18:12, Bruce Archer said:

Corsair II: Vought built F4U-1A or F4U-1D (Need serial to determine which is which). All in (delivered in) temperate sea scheme using US equivalent colors of Olive Drab and US Sea Grey uppers and a light grey undersides. USN Non-specular Light grey used initially and other grey(s) later. Early IIs had dull or Bronze green interiors, and later interior green to console then black above. Wheel Wells underside color. Most if not all had the CO extraction system installed.

I don't think that all Corsair ll had the CO extraction system fitted. There are photographs of Corsair ll that clearly do not have the larger scoop fitted to the underside of the fuselage.  I've attached a photo of JT244 and I can't see the smaller scoops to the sides of the fuselage in this photo either, but they may be present. So either the CO extraction scheme was modified to include the larger scoop, or "Most, but not all, had the CO extraction system".

I've not seen a photo of a Corsair IV that does not have the larger scoop. If the CO extraction system was modified during the JTxxx serial block, I wonder at which point? 

5 hours ago, iang said:

I don't think that all Corsair ll had the CO extraction system fitted. There are photographs of Corsair ll that clearly do not have the larger scoop fitted to the underside of the fuselage.  I've attached a photo of JT244 and I can't see the smaller scoops to the sides of the fuselage in this photo either, but they may be present. So either the CO extraction scheme was modified to include the larger scoop, or "Most, but not all, had the CO extraction system".

large%202_zpshrfjxuxq.jpg

I've not seen a photo of a Corsair IV that does not have the larger scoop. If the CO extraction system was modified during the JTxxx serial block, I wonder at which point? 

JT244 was a Corsair II, ex-BuNo 1776, the last of a batch serialed JT-220 to JT-244. BTW, I have attached a link to an  excellent photo collection that shows, among other things, No. 1830 Sq. Corsair I's at New Brunswick, Maine as well as on HMS Illustrious. I thought the photos were significant because they showed F4U-1 birdcage Corsair I's with both standard and clipped wingtips- I had always believed no Corsair I's had clipped wings! Enjoy!

Mike

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/402/An-Illustrious-Hero.aspx

Edited by 72modeler
BuNo corrected
  • Like 1

Using the Xtradecal sheet X32057 on my bird

JT,634 13-7/P of 1834 Squadron HMS Victorious

No idea what serial batch that makes it so I'll take a few W.A.G's as to what colour interiors etcs it'll get.

9 hours ago, iang said:

JT634 had the side scoops, but not the larger lower fuselage scoop, as far as I can see:

img560_zpsinagophi.jpg

Ian, the lower extraction vent is there, just looks hard to see where the wheel well is.