1/35 Tamiya M51 Super Sherman.

plasmahal

Diorama - Part One

I haven't decided yet on where to go with the weathering on the M51. So in the meantime I made a start on the diorama I had in the back of my mind. The setting is just a basic workshop. I used foam board to make the base and sidewalls after measuring up again a picture frame that will make the base. Then a raid on the bits box for some 1/35 bits and some other random parts.

DSCF2042.JPG

• Like 1

Tracks- Part One

I'm sticking with the kits rubber tracks as there's no discernible sag with the HVSS suspension. I primed using XF-20 50/50 with mr color thinner. Then base coated with XF-84, dark iron 50/50 with mr color thinner. This was then dry brushed with Mr color iron metalizer. Then all sealed with alclad aqua gloss.

DSCF2045.JPG

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 1

Diorama - Part Two

Diorama was primed with halfords grey primer from a rattle can. I then picked out the metal parts with AK's rust primer and sponged on some maskol.
I used XF-22 RLM grey as the base colour for a concrete look. Then I liberally (I mean too much) sponged on more maskol. Then an all over
colour of XF-20 medium grey. Then a lower colour of XF-60 dark yellow and a top band of XF-57 buff. Then the maskol was rubbed off. I had the
right effect but over done and not random enough. So I went back with the top coiurs to fill in and also make it look the workshop has had a
rough paint job. I will then weather the paint further.

DSCF2052.JPG

DSCF2053.JPG

DSCF2055.JPG

DSCF2063.JPG

• Like 2

Weathering - Part Two and finishing off

The diorama was finished off with a matt coat then a clay wash of grime. A bit of clean up and I have a dirty workshop. Was going to weather some more but the wash was more intense than I expected so I left it alone.

As for the M51, the lower half was dusted with a dark sand pigment and heavy coating on the tracks was fixed with IPA. Then an all over dusting of light sand with some areas having a clean up. I was happy
with the look so stopped there. Everything then a had a coat of dullcote.

I used IPA and some rust pigments to give colour and texture to main exhaust then used a tamiya weathering set to add some soot deposits.

DSCF2074.JPG

I finished off with some stretched sprue to make a whip aeriel dry brushed and the anchored with some ezline.

I think that's pretty much it.

Thanks for watching.

DSCF2081.JPG

• Like 6

I've never thought of a workshop as a diorama setting before. Cool. I really like the tracks and exhaust in the close-up you have posted and would love to see more of the rest of the tank!

• 2 months later...

Fantastic!!!! Loved this thread! Thanks for sharing! Keep up the good work! :)

You said enamel thinners on the decals then a stiff brush to chip. Had these decals been sealed or just as after micro set/sol? Great effect which I wish to use on my current Merkava :)

Fantastic!!!! Loved this thread! Thanks for sharing! Keep up the good work! :)

You said enamel thinners on the decals then a stiff brush to chip. Had these decals been sealed or just as after micro set/sol? Great effect which I wish to use on my current Merkava :)

Hi,

Decals were not sealed. I used set and sol and left them to dry for several hours.

Then it's a careful rub with enamel thinners with a finger to remove the carrier film.

Doesn't work with all decals and carries some risk.

I took the risk as i could always paint the white stripes if I needed too.