Tamiya I-400 sub - 1/350 scale

Impressive job Ken. Started building this, but at the moment confused whether or not the hull should have a red lower as yours has, as per Tamiya's instructions. Or as I have seen elsewhere,(I-400 by Sakaida,Nila and Takaki) a completely grey hull.

BillyD

Impressive job Ken. Started building this, but at the moment confused whether or not the hull should have a red lower as yours has, as per Tamiya's instructions. Or as I have seen elsewhere,(I-400 by Sakaida,Nila and Takaki) a completely grey hull.

BillyD

I went for a grey hull as per the Sakaida book. When the I-400 surrendered, it was towed back to Pearl Harbor and examined before being sunk. The lower hull was encrusted with barnacles but it was painted overall grey not red. The Seiran's had been repainted silver with US style stars and bars prior to departing Japan on her final mission. Once the order to surrender was given, the Japanese crew jettisoned the planes before they were intercepted attempting to return to Japan.

With apologies to Ken (it is his thread, and he has made a very nice job of the build btw :)) here are a few pics of how mine turned out,

side.jpg

F-5028.jpg

F-5034.jpg

I posted my build on here a while ago but I can't seem to find it now otherwise I would have just posted links,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

Excellent build and finish Pappy :thumbsup: - especially the Seirans.

Yours is probably more accurate - and certainly a better build than mine - but mine is straight out of the builders yard (at least that's my excuse :whistle: )

Where did you source the crew figures ???

Ken

PS - Can you spot the deliberate mistake ??...........

(the Seiran can't launch 'cos the crane is in the way - and the crane can't fold down - 'cos the Seiran wing is in the way - Ho-hum!)

I went for a grey hull as per the Sakaida book. When the I-400 surrendered, it was towed back to Pearl Harbor and examined before being sunk. The lower hull was encrusted with barnacles but it was painted overall grey not red. The Seiran's had been repainted silver with US style stars and bars prior to departing Japan on her final mission. Once the order to surrender was given, the Japanese crew jettisoned the planes before they were intercepted attempting to return to Japan.

With apologies to Ken (it is his thread, and he has made a very nice job of the build btw :)) here are a few pics of how mine turned out,

side.jpg

F-5028.jpg

F-5034.jpg

I posted my build on here a while ago but I can't seem to find it now otherwise I would have just posted links,

cheers,

Pappy

Great build where are the floats for the Seiran? was it meant to be a one way trip? I think I remember hearing they were going to attack the Panama canal

Two gorgeous builds they must be quite a size. Did they ever find a Seiran in American markings or was it just accounts from the crew?

G'day again.

In the Sakaida book, there is a chapter dedicated to the planes. One of the pilots was interviewed and he distinctly recalled his shock when he saw the silver planes being loaded withe the enemy markings painted on them. He stated that he was prepared to die for his emperor and japan, but considered that it was shameful to do so in the enemy's colours. The Serians were to be launched without floats for the actual mission, the reduced drag would increase range and maneuverability and a return flight was not considered. The floats were contained in separate tubes (where the tracks disappear into the hull) on either side of the main hangar. Normally, the Serian would be pushed out on its launch dolly and the floats would have been attached then.

The Seirans were jettisoned into the ocean before the sub was captured. The paint scheme was a closely guarded state secret for about 20 years afterward until some of the aircrew came forward and provided the information,

cheers,

Pappy

Excellent build and finish Pappy :thumbsup: - especially the Seirans.

Yours is probably more accurate - and certainly a better build than mine - but mine is straight out of the builders yard (at least that's my excuse :whistle: )

Where did you source the crew figures ???

Ken

PS - Can you spot the deliberate mistake ??...........

(the Seiran can't launch 'cos the crane is in the way - and the crane can't fold down - 'cos the Seiran wing is in the way - Ho-hum!)

G'day Ken,

Ta muchly. The crew are Tamiya plastic items. they look nice painted but are too flat when veiwed side on. I mostly positioned them against the hull or superstructure for this reason. The Fujimi crew figures you are using are are much better. I think that the crane adds interest though,

cheers,

Pappy

A lovely presented model - could I ask if this was theJapanesetype sub that was discovered after the war by the Americans and then sank? I'm no expert on Subs or Japanese war machines but having seen your built model, I seem to remember seeing something about a similar aircraft carrying type years ago that had some American Intelligence linked to it ??

Aside from that - what a superb display, thank you for sharing another masterpiece

Not quite - all three I-400 Class subs (400, 401 and 402) surrendered to the US Navy at the end of the war - after inspection they were scuttled and torpedoed off Hawaii - supposedly to prevent the Soviets gaining access to them.

The wreckage of I-401 was 'discovered' by a diving team in 2005 - maybe that's what you are thinking of ??

It's all in Wiki

Ken