Should we be expecting a new Airfix release announcement today?

Rabbit Leader

In addition to Mels (S&M) forthcoming Piston Provost and the Sword Mk.5 we will have the set one way or another!

Yeah - starting thinking about a self group build - Provost, JP3, JP5 + a Gnat from the stash!

BTW - there is an interesting correlation between Sword and Airfix:

Sword's Harrier T2/4 was followed by Airfix Gr1/3

Sword's T-Lightnings followed by Airfix single seaters

Sword's JP5 followed by JP3

What's next? Gannet from Airfix? And I hope Sword brings us NF Meteor and Venom NF.3 to be followed by Airfix Meteor F4/8 and Venom FB4!!!

Edited by Dennis_C
  • Like 2

To be honest, I was looking for some comment here and couldn't see it. As it's not a rumour, I would never have thought to look in the Rumourmonger section. I thought it wopld be one of the aircraft sections - or News - or Chat.

I think it'll be a 1/48 Blenheim.

Not big enough.

VC10..... You all had your Beaufighter last year, it's MY turn... (and the others that want one).

Blenheim in 1:24 would perhaps be a touch too big?

• Like 2

"BIG new tooling" almost certainly means a new large kit or large scale kit. Last year''s announcement about LIDAR was written very differently, i.e. "where some VERY exciting news will be shared about the forthcoming 2015 Airfix range."

If it's a 1/72 kit of a large aircraft then the most likely subjects are the Vulcan and Victor. The Vulcan would be timely considering all the publicity that has surrounded the last flying season of XH558.

If it's a new 1/24 kit, I think it's most likely to be a retool of the Spitfire Mk.I/V. That was the first Airfix Superkit in 1970 and, while it is still in the catalogue, the tooling is long past its prime. Another possibility is the Mosquito B.Mk.IV, but if it's a completely new subject, then Gladiator is as good a guess as any I suppose. Could it be 1/24 a Defiant? P-40B? Gnat perhaps?

The nice man from airfix said at Yeovilton that a 1/24 scale aircraft took 5 years and there were none in pipeline. The typhoon had been announced and he had one there so nothing for a few years yet

Rodders

The nice man from airfix said at Yeovilton that a 1/24 scale aircraft took 5 years and there were none in pipeline. The typhoon had been announced and he had one there so nothing for a few years yet

Rodders

Yes, that is consistent with what they said at Telford last year. I don't think it rules out minor mods on existing tools where those are obviously pre-planned when the original kit was tooled, e.g car door Typhoon or a variation on the Mosquito, but it does rule out a wholly new 1/24 type for announcement this year.

Edited by Work In Progress

As long as its 1/72 scale and starts with letter V, with the letter C somewhere in it, I'm happy.

There's 3 to pick from Airfix, any one will do!

Vulcanair Canguro? Bit unusual..............................

• Like 3

Just done likewise, I too would like to see some decals for foreign users although there are very many RAF schemes I'd want to do too

Hi Wez, thats at least 2 sold for Airfix allready!! Re: Foreign users decals can come up with: Burma, Ecuador, Oman, Singapore and South Yemen.?? Kind regards Colin.

A clockwork mouse! How brilliant!

You can make a T.3/T.3a/T.4 out of that which will give a bucket load of colour schemes - this is most excellent. Bravo Airfix!!

So there's silver with yellow trainer bands, silver with dayglo, LAG and dayglo, Red/White/Grey, DSG/DG/LAG, overall grey...

Plenty of sales here!

Red Pelican T4 to go with a Yellowjack and Red Arrow Gnat

Page 7, post 138.

Cheers,

Bill

The exact moment police reported a rash of animal sacrices, bishops ordered more candles, Turbans got tugged, beards got stroked...and half of UK modellers nearly had a heart attack

Many, many prayers to the gods were said over that tantalising glimpse of future endeavours.

I tend to get rather excited about most Airfix new releases these days, however to me this JP is a master stroke if ever there was one.

It is now hard not to imagine new tools of other famous British trainer aircraft being released and after the success of the Gnat probably in both popular scales.

So it's only time until a Chipmunk, Meteor T.7 and new tooled Tucano will hopefully become plastic realities as well.

Stock up chaps, because sales success = more modelling gems like this.

Cheers... Dave

• Like 3

Ha I see my V request wasn't as specific as I thought, perhaps I should've added that it needs to have multiple jet engines.

I'd still settle for 1/72 Buccaneer instead but does that really class as a "big tooling announcement" its not that bigger kit!;

Oh no!! Not yet another boring grey aircraft..... :winkgrin:

Two tone gray at least - and 79 Squadron..... :-)

A clockwork mouse! How brilliant!

You can make a T.3/T.3a/T.4 out of that which will give a bucket load of colour schemes - this is most excellent. Bravo Airfix!!

So there's silver with yellow trainer bands, silver with dayglo, LAG and dayglo, Red/White/Grey, DSG/DG/LAG, overall grey...

Plenty of sales here!

Silver with dayglo blocks and silver with dayglo stripes, overall red, red/white/grey/blue, add the CFS stripe and you have a conrucopia of schemes