Cessna 152

robvulcan

Decals are usually the main issue with older kits. The plus side is that the kits often fit together better than the same kit might today. A model produced when the moulds were pretty much brand new will be crisper and cleaner than a newer model produced from the same moulds 50 years later.

If Airfix do re-release the basset, we might see people like Xtradecal produce a sheet featuring Bassets.

• Like 2

Gremlin did a range of 1/72 Piper & Cessna twins. Hannants used to stock them, but none are listed now, so I guess they're out of production. I've got a Cessna 411, it's basically a full resin kit, but with the whole cabin top as a vacformed clear piece - unfortunately there's only one! It's that bit that has stopped me starting it so far, I need to give attaching the thing some more thought! The kit comes with decals for two aircraft from the French Flight Test Centre & one civvie Aussie machine - how well they work remains to be seen!

The instruction sheet gives a list of the other Cessna's they did, but there's no mention of the Pipers. The Cessna's done (at the time) were - 208,335,340,401,402,404,406,421,425,441

If anyone wants a Bassett, you need to pre-order one with Airfix or they won't produce it - & if they do, they'll only fulfill the pre-orders, so it'll be back to e-bay prices...!!

And Rob, they were used as V-bomber crew transports!

HTH

Keith

That's another choice in the Airfix kitstarter list!

Hi Keith,

yeah, I've already placed a multiple order with Airfix, should they come up to the minimum numbers required for the Beaver to be brought back!

• Like 1

If Airfix do re-release the basset, we might see people like Xtradecal produce a sheet featuring Bassets.

If Airfix are true to their word this time (unlike the Nimrod) & do only produce those kits that were preordered, I doubt xtradecal would be interested. Hopefully some of the smaller producers might be, you never know!

• Like 1

What happened with the Nimrod?

When they announced it, they said it was going to be available pre-order only so that they could gauge whether it would be worthwhile going ahead with it, & after retailers orders were in, that would be it, no more would be available. Muggins here ordered two (it was one of my favourite ever aircraft) at full retail price (can't recall if it was £39.99 or £49.99) only for the market to get flooded with the things a few years later, when piles of them could be found on traders stands at shows. Cheapest I saw them at was £12...!!

I then said once bitten etc., but I've still gone & pre-ordered a kit starter Bassett & Beaver! Some mugs never learn...!!

• Like 1

Another aircraft I would love to buy as a kit is one that will never see the light of day. The Gippsland Airvan. I doubt if a model of one of these ever sees the light of day.

Airvan006copy.jpg

Here it is.. 1/72nd scale scratch built. Gippsland Airvan

FGH

Edited by fharris
  • Like 3

When they announced it, they said it was going to be available pre-order only so that they could gauge whether it would be worthwhile going ahead with it, & after retailers orders were in, that would be it, no more would be available. Muggins here ordered two (it was one of my favourite ever aircraft) at full retail price (can't recall if it was £39.99 or £49.99) only for the market to get flooded with the things a few years later, when piles of them could be found on traders stands at shows. Cheapest I saw them at was £12...!!

I then said once bitten etc., but I've still gone & pre-ordered a kit starter Bassett & Beaver! Some mugs never learn...!!

Thanks!

Hi Rob

Just found this... me too! I have the AZ models 150/2 on my Hannants watch list and can't wait :)

I will have a look at that mate. Oh no... here I go again to the Hannant's website my wallet is running away now down the garden to hide behind a rock..

Every time I visit their website I get this that and the other before you know it your doomed.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

:D The 'coming soon' entry is here.

Do you have a secret method of browsing the Hannants website? Every time I go there for something I have to use their search engine and think hmmm, never mind, if I could browse this site it would probably cost me a fortune... I find it really hard to buy from them unless I know exactly what I'm looking for... for example I wanted some Tamiya X20-A thinners - search engine says 'No'. Do they sell it or not? Is it just me?

:D The 'coming soon' entry is here.

Do you have a secret method of browsing the Hannants website? Every time I go there for something I have to use their search engine and think hmmm, never mind, if I could browse this site it would probably cost me a fortune... I find it really hard to buy from them unless I know exactly what I'm looking for... for example I wanted some Tamiya X20-A thinners - search engine says 'No'. Do they sell it or not? Is it just me?

Easy that one Ced;

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TA81040

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TAMX020A :winkgrin:

Seriously, I agree it's awkward to search on there particularly as they seem to use a variation of their own for the manufacturers part numbers and they have so many products! What i did to find those was - on the home page, in the manufacturer drop down field chose Tamiya, & than just typed 'thinners' in the keyword box. Choosing manufacturer, relevent scale & item type (if applicable) & using a keytword in the product name works 99 times out of 100. Often just the manufacturer & keyword will do though.

HTH & doesn't bankrupt you!

Keith

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...