1/48 Tamiya Corsair MkII, 1833 Sqn, HMS Illustrious

85sqn

Hifolks,

I have another Tamiya corsair to make so I thought I would use it to do my first wip. The aircraft will be finished as JT371 of 1833 Sqn based on HMS Illustrious. The aircraft was flown by Lt N.Hanson on several occasions, notably during the attack on Sabang and Port Blair.

The kit is well known but I will use the MDC conversion kit which comes with several resin parts for the cockpit, air scoops, prop and fuel tank. I aim to display it with wings folded and flaps up.

IMG_20150908_093833.jpg

I have added a few ignition wires to the engine.

IMG_20150908_0938592.jpg

The flaps have had their attachment points cut off and require new ones to go through the existing holes but are shown here glued in.IMG_20150908_094455.jpg

Here the flaps are up on the outer wings and the necessary cut has been made on both wingtips. I'll use some clear sprue to create the wingtip lights.

IMG_20150908_094443.jpg

IMG_20150908_094423.jpg

Hifolks,

I have another Tamiya corsair to make so I thought I would use it to do my first wip. The aircraft will be finished as JT371 of 1833 Sqn based on HMS Illustrious. The aircraft was flown by Lt N.Hanson on several occasions, notably during the attack on Sabang and Port Blair.

This "N Hanson" perchance? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carrier-Pilot-Unforgettable-Wartime-Flying/dp/0850593492/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441777155&sr=1-1&keywords=carrier+pilot

Hi folks, little update today. I've undercoated the fuselage and cockpit area with an approximation of zinc chromate followed by interior green. Cockpit items have been picked out, drybrushed and then a dark brown enamel wash run into the crevasses. The engine has been painted black, drybrushed and the front portion painted dark gull grey. Again, a wash run over to accentuate some of the detail.

The landing gear has had some sink holes filled and then some fuse wire to simulate brake wires and some springs on the real thing.

IMG_20150914_153601_edit_1442241806026.jIMG_20150914_153722.jpghttp://s776.photobucket.com/user/Typhoon_album/media/IMG_20150914_153722.jpg.html?filters[user]=100805196&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=3

http://s776.photobucket.com/user/Typhoon_album/media/IMG_20150914_153601_edit_1442241806026.jpg.html?filters[user]=100805196&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

IMG_20150914_154127.jpg

IMG_20150914_153925_edit_1442241846497.j

• Like 2

One of my favourite aircraft thanks for posting your WIP nice choice of markings.

Good work so far.

Guy

• Like 1

Some more progress today. I have buttoned up the fuselage and eradicated any seam lines.

IMG_5443.jpg

I have created the underside vent for the carbon monoxide scoops out of some thin acetate. Maybe a little wide but I think it looks okay. I drilled out some holes for the MDC scoops to fit into and also some holes for the radio aerials which will be added after the aircraft is painted. On the starboard wing I used the clear cropped wingtip of Airfix's new Mk1 Spit to create a light.

IMG_5442.jpg

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5439.jpg

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

prior to the mask, the canopy parts were dipped in slightly watered Future and came out nice and shiney!

For now all the ancillary parts are just sitting in place for effect. I hope to start the colour scheme next week.

• Like 5

This is looking good the small details make all the difference look forward to see it with some paint on.

:goodjob:

Guy

Very impressive progress so far. I especially like your execution of the carbon monoxide extraction vents.

Not sure if you want to make the effort, but Tamiya depicted the fuel filler caps for the 63-Gallon wing tanks too far outboard. The caps should be located further inboard at approximately the same location but at the next chord-wise panel line inboard. When i build my 72nd and 48th scale Corsairs, i bore the hole out the same diameter of the fuel filler cap, and make a new one from plastruct rod, painted red. It gets installed after camouflage painting, but before glosscoating, decalling and weathering. Building it up as a separate part eliminates some tricky masking and gets a nice clean result.

F4U2120.jpg

F4U2122.jpg

F4U2126.jpg

DHF4U-2Stbd006.jpg

Just a suggestion.

david

Edited by David H
  • Like 1

David,

Thanks very much for that info. What you've done looks really effective. The MDC instructions were incorrect so I'm glad you've mentioned it!

Best regards

Nick

Hi folks, quick update. I am aiming to spray the roundels rather than use decals so am waiting on a 4mm punch. I am also using an olfa circle cutter which is not very good at making small circles. The wings have had the incorrect filler cap deleted and new ones drilled out with a 2mm bit. I'm just waiting on some 2mm rod to fill it with. With regards to the scheme, there are several photos showing 1830 & 1833 Sqns back on deck after striking Port Blair on June 21st 1944. What is clear to me is that some of the corsairs have definitely got quite new paint on as it is notably darker, especially when compared to '7R' on the left. A couple of aircraft have no wear showing on the wing walkways.6A the one I am modelling is at the front of the deck.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/Portals/0/Vintage_Stories/News%20Stories%20J/Sheppard%20Caption%20Gallery/Episode2_3_08.jpg

This is not the best photo, I have a better image showing 6A but only in photocopy. There are some more from this sequence in Royal Navy aces of WW2 by Osprey. With the above in mind, I am going to go for TSS in British paint. 6A 'JT371' had a couple of prangs before this photo was taken so it adds to the chance of repaint.

Will put up some photos later.

• Like 1

IMG_5445.jpgIMG_5447.jpg

Here's just a couple of photos. It started the day with the primer coat rubbed down and ended with just a bit of pre-shading and the white for the roundels. I've also gone for intermediate blue inside the wing joins like this:

15128.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good, I like your choice of subject and I don`t blame you for painting the wing fold interior blue,.....I did toy with that for mine and after re viewing the folm of my subject again I may just repaint mine.

Looking forward to seeing your progress,.....I`m on the Olive Drab or Dark Slate Grey stage of mine,...argh,...cannot put it off any more!

Keep up the great work,

Tony

• Like 1