Thinning Halfords paint?

vontrips

Sorry to my friends outside of the UK, but I've wanted to know the answer to this question for ages.

I phoned the Halford paint manufacturers a few years ago asking for an appropriate thinner, telling them I was spraying on to acrylic primed polystyrene surfaces! They suggested using acetone!!!

I can only imagine acetone would bite into the acrylic primer and eat the plastic!

Has anyone tried it? Been toying with using toluene, but I imagine the results would be worse and quite unpleasant to spray to boot!

Are you trying to thin the Halford rattle can paints or some other product?

The Only thing I use for thinning Halfords paint is cellulose thinners, however I usually just spray them from the can. On rare occasions I decant them into my airbrush however they are so thin from the rattle can I still just use them straight.

Karl

• Like 1

It's mainly the rattlecan primers Karl. I use them mainly from the can, but like to airbrush smaller pieces and corners without dry overspray. The primers tend to go 'gloopy' by the time I get them in the airbrush after decanting.

I wouldn't thin a Halford's rattle can after I've decanted it - you risk ruining the balance of the primer, and could well end up just spraying grey thinners onto your kit rather than primer. I use Zero Paints primer from Hiroboy if I just want to prime smaller parts.

• Like 2

i follow this procedure when using halfords cans for airbrushing. i spray paint into a small pot/jar, i find the small cholesterol drinks bottles are just right. pierce the top to let the propellant gas off for a few days. they are then ready to use, thin with cellulose thinners. they go on o.k. steady as you go, build it up slowly. finish is nice.

as with any airbrushing, practice helps.

however, have you tried zero paints ? they are dead easy to apply, difficult to get runs, then just clear coat after.

I wouldn't thin a Halford's rattle can after I've decanted it - you risk ruining the balance of the primer, and could well end up just spraying grey thinners onto your kit rather than primer. I use Zero Paints primer from Hiroboy if I just want to prime smaller parts.

Good advice. +1

It's mainly the rattlecan primers Karl. I use them mainly from the can, but like to airbrush smaller pieces and corners without dry overspray. The primers tend to go 'gloopy' by the time I get them in the airbrush after decanting.

The best way to use decanted Halfords rattlecan paints is straight away as soon as you decant them. You might get away with, literally, a drop of thinners but they are so thin I would just use them as soon as possible.

As others have said you might end up spraying grey thinners if you thin too much.

Karl.

• 2 years later...