95mm Centaur conversion for Tamiya 1/48 Cromwell

85sqn

Hi folks, does anybody know if anyone makes said parts to turn my 1/48 Cromwell into a Royal Marine 95mm equipped Centaur? I know peddinghaus make the decals.

Cheers

Nick

If you don't mind that the armament is wrapped up in canvas, Accurate Armour does make a 1/48 conversion:

http://www.accurate-armour.com/ShowProduct.cfm?manufacturer=0&category=82&subcategory=257&product=1913

The only other detail I'm not sure of, some Centaurs had perforations on the sides of the rubber road wheels - something you can investigate with the proper period photos.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Ahh - putting a 95mm gun into the 1/48 Tamiya Cromwell would leave you with... a Cromwell Close Support (CS) tank, not a Centaur. Cromwell CS tanks were issued at two per Sqn HQ Troop in a Cromwell Regt.

To do a Centaur you'd need the perforated wheels, simplified front fenders and either a 6pdr or a 95mm gun (the 75mm would be rare, if it was fitted at all). They also had internal track tensioning adjusters rather than the simpler external adjusters fitted to Cromwells (not sure that would be a massive issue in 1/48?)

As an aside - A lot of 'Centaurs' (mostly from English Electric) were manufactured with the Meteor engine (note 'manufactured' rather than re-engined) and were therefore redesignated as Cromwells when they came off the production line (I'm sure it was done to confuse modellers!). The vehicles were issued as Cromwells but were a hybrid and retained the internal tensioning adjusters and slightly weaker suspension springs fitted to the Centaur (a non-issue for modellers as the springs are hidden anyway).

Cheers,

Centaur

Edited by Centaur95
  • Like 2

Thanks for the response, the wheels shouldn't be too tricky but a lot of drilling is required! I'm just suprised that no-one has got round to making said gun barrel.

Does anything related to the meteor engine differ externally?

Yeah - Crusader wheels would work, but they are subtly different so it wouldn't be entirely accurate (whether most people would notice the difference is doubtful).

External differences - depends on the specific manufacturer. Centaurs are normally assumed to have flat engine decks but both English Electric and Harland & Wolf built their Centaurs with the same (or a very similar) raised engine vent on the deck.

All the RMASG Centaur CS photos I've seen suggest that they had the raised vents so if you are aiming to do a D-Day Centaur, you should be OK without any structural changes.

Cheers,

Centaur

• Like 1

The Tamiya 48th kit actually has the Centaur internal adjusters OOB. Thats the two 'pimples' near each headlight that covered the screw adjuster.

The external adjusters are identified by the tensioner stowed on the angled side of the engine deck on the RHS, it looks like a large hockey stick. On the rear lower hull the Cromwell has an extra rectangular plate covering the gear change adjustment, fortunately Tamiya omitted this.

Then there is the artillery dial sight on the turret roof covered by a metal box when not in use. Finally they may have had three aerials two as the kit and a third on the redundant Lakeman mount between the hatches (the small square plate) for infantry communications. The Cromwell 95mms certainly did.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this post was a year ago, but in the vain hope that Nick Adlam reads this and you're still looking for Centaur wheels in 1/48th, I can point you in the right direction. I built this model a couple of years ago and I made a master for the perforated wheels. Jason Miller of Arms Corps Models of Australia cast hem for me and made a lovely job of them. He said that he would keep the moulds for anyone wanting a set. The cost was very reasonable. Same with the decals. I sent Ernst Peddinghaus a load of photos and he did the decals which he now does as a set. If you read this and would like to see the finished article, post a reply.

BTW. I made the 95mm from two different diameters of sprue.

John.

• 2 months later...