RAF F-4 Phantom - Alcock and Brown [Update 13/04 - Decal Disaster]

Breaker

Next Project!

This one is for my old man, he worked on this very jet during his service and is one of two as I'll be doing another Phantom for him in 228 OCU colours.

Throwing the boat out for it, I want this damn near perfect. Aftermarket is going to include...

Aries Cockpit and Ejector Seats

Master Model Pitots

Hypersonic Canopy Set

True Details Wheels (Which need some work, the sidewall tyre bulges are silly, looks like they're flat!)

CAM Decals - The kit decals are all multipart and yellowed so I'm replacing them.

Eduard PE

Kit PE & White metal.

Flightpath PE Ladder

Normally, I like my models all buttoned up and sealed but Dad wants all the options open so that's the plan!

The actual airframe was spotless so that's the way the model is going to be. I'll have a little bit of freedom on the metal surfaces as they wouldn't be so easy to clean.

Photos to Follow.

• Like 4

Fresh decals and silly bulged wheels

IMG_20150831_102000_zps0rcam2ly.jpg

Mock up after fitting the resin cockpit. This fought me the whole way putting it in, but it does look good!

IMG_20150831_101804_zpsdphkagyu.jpg

IMG_20150905_135526_zpsm70oo7yv.jpg

I couldn't get it to go right so I cheated! :P. The resin sidewalls were sticking up proud of the cockpit and it was stalling the project by killing my motivation. My solution was to just cut and flush them into the kit level sidewalls and then use the kit provided PE panels to replace the detail that was lost!

IMG_20150905_135547_zpslmufb24x.jpg

• Like 4

IMG_20150905_215148_zpsborzicnk.jpg

Started the painting with Alclad black primer then masked over the black sections to save me some detail painting later on!

Used a coat of Light Ghost Grey for the cockpit. Its the closest match I could find to the photos I took of XV 424 at RAF Hendon where it's on display.

IMG_20150905_220601_zpsiblseong.jpg

I've attempted something I saw on LSP for the PE panel, not sure it's worked as well in 48th!

IMG_20150906_095719_zpslti8fxr1.jpg

PE Panel was painted in LACQUER based black and then oversprayed in ACRYLIC grey. I then used acrylic cleaner to lightly wipe over the panel, removing the grey paint, revealing the black paint on the high surfaces. Emphasis added on purpose.

• Like 2

I've nearly sorted the sidewalls. Just needs a coat of gloss, a wash and a little bit more detail, picking parts out.

IMG_20150907_155438_zps7plpofpm.jpg

IMG_20150907_165145_zpsxbn3z24k.jpg

IMG_20150907_155321_zpszq3dhxqm.jpg

That's where I'm up to today. After this I'll be working on the instrument panels and coaming then the EJ seats.

I'm trying to build this with each separate section being it's own little model to add as much to it as possible.

• Like 13

Just ordered the popcorn and am pulling up a chair for this one!

I will be watching this one with interest as I have the same kit in my stash, along with the Aires 'pit and the master pitot's

I also plan on adding loads of AM to mine when I get around to it.

Really like what you've done with the cockpit so far.

Al

• Like 1

Got the IP's completed today and the rest of the main cockpit accordingly!

I repainted the PE as I wasn't happy with the previous method. Much happer with how these have turned out.

IMG_20150909_171846_zpsq5kwvcjh.jpg

Once dry, I fitted the backdrop acetate and put everything together.

IMG_20150909_175853_zpsgzgsmas0.jpg

The cockpit tub got a wash of black and dirt to pop the detail out along with the side walls.

IMG_20150909_204729_zps7ydqc9ju.jpg

IMG_20150909_210254_zps412igaqf.jpg

Overall, I'm rather pleased with how it's all come out! I can't decide what to take on next, if to get the seats built up and painted or if to get the fuselage together and smoothed out.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Fuselage is starting to get buttoned up now. As normal with there kits it seems, the intakes don't fit that well but it's nothing that some supergule and sanding can't deal with. I've also made u some blanking plates for the inside of the intakes as it leaves some horrendous openings otherwise.

IMG_20151102_120205_zpsc6aywz4f.jpg

IMG_20151030_152625_zpsqopvmblu.jpg

• Like 4

Hello,Breaker - A man after my own heart!I've just received my set of these decals and look forward to building this beauty in 1/48 scale.I previously built her in 1/72 scale (RFI - 'TRANSATLANTIC PHANTOM'). Of all the varied and attractive schemes the Phantom has carried over the years,this one does it for me.Sheer Class! Good luck with your build.All the best,Paul.

image.jpg1_zpspqexzsq9.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Breaker,

Fantastic work fella, that cockpit looks stunning already. I was going to point you towards our fellow BMer McDonnell as he did a lovely Alcock and Brown Phantom recently but it looks like he has beaten me too it.

Fab, or even phab, work,

Cheers

Viv

• Like 1

Hi Breaker,

Fantastic work fella, that cockpit looks stunning already. I was going to point you towards our fellow BMer McDonnell as he did a lovely Alcock and Brown Phantom recently but it looks like he has beaten me too it.

Fab, or even phab, work,

Cheers

Viv

Hello,Viv - Many thanks for your kind comment.It's much appreciated and respected.You know me and Phantoms!? All the very best,Paul.
  • Like 1

Wish I'd seen this sooner: I'd have pointed you in the direction of the Alley Cat intakes which I'm using on my blue 19 Squadron example. They really are so much better than the kit efforts; seamless ntakes all the way back to and ncluding the engine faces and (I may have been lucky here, and/or done something right for once) better fitting than the kit parts. Yours is coming on brilliantly, looking forward to watching your progress and pinching a few ideas.

Very nice start.

I keep saying to myself, 'Do a phantom one day...'.

Sorry if I missed it, but what kit are you using?

It's the Hase Alcock and Brown boxing.

The cockpit looks fantastic!!!!

Keep up the good work!!

Cheers

Shalako

Thanks Shalako!

Wish I'd seen this sooner: I'd have pointed you in the direction of the Alley Cat intakes which I'm using on my blue 19 Squadron example. They really are so much better than the kit efforts; seamless ntakes all the way back to and ncluding the engine faces and (I may have been lucky here, and/or done something right for once) better fitting than the kit parts. Yours is coming on brilliantly, looking forward to watching your progress and pinching a few ideas.

No need on this, my old man has asked for it to be modelled as it would of been on the ground, so air intake blanks will be fitted on this one!

• 1 month later...

Been struggling to find bench time recently, got a heck of a lot on with work, my HNC and general life stuff! Had a PE and resin day today, got the seats ready for paint and started using the Hypersonic set for canopy detailing which is awesome. PE fits precisely and the casting blocks are a breeze to remove!

IMG_20151221_180526_zpsv8ysytvd.jpg

I've remade the ejection pull handles with lead wire instead of PE as it's too flat. Ignored the Aries instructions and just built the belts to look good!

IMG_20151221_183458_zpsverjf9gc.jpg

Beginnings of the canopies started. Can see where I accidently got superclear on the clear section and had to use some debonder to get it off which means they'll all have to be polished now!

• Like 4