Beaufighter Comparison Build

This is going to be an interesting comparison as I haven't seen a Hasegawa Beaufighter before. I have the Frog one though and it's Dimensionally close but there are differences. Mainly on the engine cowls. Thanks for pointing out the AML Flat Tail Planes. I missed them on Hannnants and want to do either a MK.I or graft some Lancaster Nacelles on to make a MK.II for my next Beaufighter.....

• Like 1

The way Airfix have moulded the lower wings/nacelles mean that some surgery is required but crucially, this does not affect the u/c placement, nor does it leave big holes underneath that would otherwise need filling. Spare couple of Lancaster outer engine nacelles and you're laughing, although the upper wing will need cutting and the upper cowling fairing reduced down.

I've dug out my old Magna/Airfix mk II and it does look... somewhat below current standards. I just need to either find the u/c or rob it from the old Matchbox kit because I want to finish it as a Battle of Britain aircraft for a Whif SIG group build.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! The Airfix wingspan is a lot bigger. I'm surprised at that.

I am also building the Airfix kit and, although I don't have my Hasegawa Beau to compare (with Tom W on the Coastal Command SIG table, I think), I have been comparing the Airfix kit to my FROG Beau. The Airfix - although very similar in major dimensions to the FROG - looks noticeably more petite about the cockpit / nose and the cowlings / nacelles. I was surprised about that, too.

Will post some pictures on my build thread comparing the two.

regards,

Martin

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

What is the correct link ejection chute layout for the wing guns? They're linear according to Airfix and staggered in pairs according to Hasegawa!

Cheers

Michael

What is the correct link ejection chute layout for the wing guns? They're linear according to Airfix and staggered in pairs according to Hasegawa!

The Airfix one is correct, but only for early Mk.Xs. Later aircraft should have two sets of ejection chutes, one for links and one for cases.

But when you cover these chutes with RP panels Hasegawa wins hands down...

At least it's correct dimensionally at 1:72.3 and not 1:70 as the new (LIDAR-scanned!) Airfix beauty seems to be :(

Cheers

Michael

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, Seahawk said:

Admirable thread from long ago but can someone please provide the punchline?

I really should complete these models.  Maybe in the KUTA GB which starts shortly.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/4/2016 at 1:13 PM, KRK4m said:

But when you cover these chutes with RP panels Hasegawa wins hands down...

At least it's correct dimensionally at 1:72.3 and not 1:70 as the new (LIDAR-scanned!) Airfix beauty seems to be :(

Cheers

Michael

Hi KRK4m, did you actually measure the kits?

I tend to agree with you on principle as it would be unusual for Hasegawa to mess up dimensionally by that much in my opinion.

Be aware that the much mentioned "bulkhead" behind the pilot was actually a removable armour plate panel with two doors in it. Most in-service RAAF Beaus had it removed apparently for access reasons. It also makes me smile when I see a Beaufighter model builder replace the seat with a fixed bucket style seat, as the back of the pilots seat hinged flat so that he could reach up, grab the overhead trapeze bars and drop straight down through the escape hatch between the wing spars. Thus the seat was a very distinctive design with a pivot in the centre. If memory serves the seat back release happened at the same time the escape hatch swung down so that escape became one fluid motion after the internal release handle was pulled.

I only know this because I did it a few times in Moorabbin Mk 21 back in the days it was still parked outdoors on sand so the subsequent fall 10 feet to the ground was a little softened! Ah the silly things we do when young! (and pre-nanny state OHS laws....)

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

The overall wingspan of the Beaufighter is quoted as 17.65 meters from several sources online. That is 17650mm. The quoted wingspan of the Airfix Beaufighter off the instructions is 246mm. 17650 divided by 72 equals 245.1mm.

Close enough for me if the Airfix quoted wingspan is correct.

Hasegawa does not always equal ultimate accuracy. Their Spitfire fuselages are a case in point.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spellbinder99 said:

The overall wingspan of the Beaufighter is quoted as 17.65 meters from several sources online. That is 17650mm. The quoted wingspan of the Airfix Beaufighter off the instructions is 246mm. 17650 divided by 72 equals 245.1mm.

Close enough for me if the Airfix quoted wingspan is correct.

Hasegawa does not always equal ultimate accuracy. Their Spitfire fuselages are a case in point.

Cheers

Tony

What's that in real money?  Beaufighters were built in proper feet n inches, not this Mickey Mouse metric nonsense.

30 minutes ago, stever219 said:

What's that in real money?  Beaufighters were built in proper feet n inches, not this Mickey Mouse metric nonsense.

Perhaps just Google 'convert 17.65m to feet and inches' ?

Answer is 57' 11"

A valid point stever219, but Airfix themselves quote the wingspan in mm on the kit instructions so converting the real wingspan to that in mm was just easier. Be aware I did the conversion in feet and inches and it still showed the Airfix kit as accurate and the Hasegawa wrong.

Cheers

Tony