1/48 Tamiya VNAF Skyraider *Completed*

Brad

I've had this kit in the stash for nearly 10 years and I've been saying I'd build more of my nice models, so here goes.

The only addition will be the Eagle Strike decals for VNAF aircraft. I'll be building the third one down in the green and brown camo. It was from the 83rd Special Operations Squadron, commanded by General Nguyen Cao Ky, flown out of Tan Son Nhut during 1965.

P1010020_zpspgkqnxnj.jpg

P1010021_zpsjgmpj0ls.jpg

Edited by Brad
  • Like 2

A little more work tonight. I haven't put any paint on things yet, there's still several models on the painting table that aren't mine which I really have to finish! Thus far, it's typical Tamiya quality which is just what I was after as I've been building less than great kits, including resin ones of late, so it's nice to park the brain in neutral for a while while building.

P1010018_zpscta9bidn.jpg

Edited by Brad
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Brad,

I am contemplating the exact same aircraft at the moment. What paint colours will you be using? I have found the following if of any assistance:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10048289

In the instructions it gives some colours. Are you going with these combos or something else? They say field green and propellor colour for the fuse.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the last week have turned up some interesting revelations. I was looking for more information on the 83rd SOG and turned up a picture of the aircraft I intend on building, only to notice that the characters on the nose are incorrect and the dragon in the fuselage markings is a poor representation in the decal sheet. There also seems to be two variations of the nose markings and the above pictures seem to be a slightly different working of one of the two characters. However, the good news is I got a message today from a BM member mention exactly these things and offering some assistance, so my enthusiasm is renewed. I decided to glue together the bomb load tonight.

I'm still kinda ticked off about the inaccuracy of the decal sheet.

83rd_photos_zpszumwraho.jpg

P1010008_zpseiwrw5ba.jpg

• Like 2

So the last week have turned up some interesting revelations. I was looking for more information on the 83rd SOG and turned up a picture of the aircraft I intend on building, only to notice that the characters on the nose are incorrect and the dragon in the fuselage markings is a poor representation in the decal sheet. There also seems to be two variations of the nose markings and the above pictures seem to be a slightly different working of one of the two characters. However, the good news is I got a message today from a BM member mention exactly these things and offering some assistance, so my enthusiasm is renewed. I decided to glue together the bomb load tonight.

I'm still kinda ticked off about the inaccuracy of the decal sheet.

[url="http://s200.photobucket.com/user/_Exocet_/media/83rd_photos_zpszumwraho.jpg.h%5Bimg%5Dhttp://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa242/_Exocet_/83rd_photos_zpszumwraho.j

%5Burl="http://s200.photobucket.com/user/_Exocet_/media/Models%20In%20Progress/P1010008_zpseiwrw5ba.jpghttp://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa242/_Exocet_/Models%20In%20Progress/P101000url]

The different markings could be because they are two entirely different aircraft... check the numbers on the tails!

The different markings could be because they are two entirely different aircraft... check the numbers on the tails!

You can see I have the decals for 35223 and the picture at the bottom is of this aircraft.

A little more work on the interior and the engine. Just have to wait for the paint to dry now so I can dry brush and decal the instrument panel and I'll use the kit supplied decals for seat belts.. So far, it's been the usual Tamiya kinda build; hassle free.

P1010009_zpsryuce4vb.jpg

• Like 2

All closed up and the wings are on. Fit is very nice. As you can see I've been cleaning up the joins and working on some more bombs. I've been informed that the early VNAF Skyraiders weren't equipped with the Mk 80 series weapons, so those have gone to the spares box and the older demolition bombs will be used. I've also been told the seat is wrong as they probably used the bucket seat, but that doesn't worry me too much as you're not going to notice unless you really know what you're looking at and you look close. I might just close up the canopy in the end anyway.

I also must publicly thank BM member Flyingdragons75 for his help with this build.

P1010014_zpsqicmj8ub.jpg

P1010016_zpsypk2vurp.jpg

P1010017_zpsyxrblyu8.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

A little more work tonight as it's been way too humid to do much painting on some other kits awaiting paint. I cut off some of the antenna and the formation light on top of the tail which this aircraft didn't have. Horizontal stabilizers are glued on and I've cleaned up the wing leading and trailing edges. I do need to build another antenna that was located closer to the tail on the fuselage, but that can wait.

P1010003_zpsqqyurlsx.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, 20 days left. I can do it so long as it isn't as humid as it was today! Knocked up something that looks like the antenna tonight, before that I sanded down all the joins with 2000 grit paper and put the power plant together.

P1010022_zpszbyioaja.jpg

P1010023_zps7n4yw7jv.jpg

• Like 3