Revell Mercedes-Benz Unimog U1300 Fire Truck 1/24

activexp

I fancied a change from bikes and cars so this Unimog from Revell caught my eye as something different.

Unimog%20box1_zpsxzxeumjq.jpg

sprue2_zpsnrdjjyjr.jpg

sprue3_zps2ptgz897.jpg

sprue4_zpsg4n1numj.jpg

sprue5_zpspc9lkgqm.jpg

sprue6_zpss9jse4fa.jpg

sprue7_zpsojvs1zxs.jpg

It's a rebox of an 80's kit and it shows in the amount of soft detail.

• Like 1

Made a start on the engine, only 4 parts and a lot of soft detail which I've tried to pick out. Finished off with a black wash to give it a used look.

Engine cooling appears to be absent from the kit.

engine1_zpsmee0aaxf.jpg

engine2_zpsl98z7gvg.jpg

A little progress on the chassis. Engine, gearbox, exhaust, front springs and axle fitted. Only issue here was that I'd cemented the springs slightly too close to the sides of the chassis which resulted in the locating pins on the axle not engaging with the corresponding holes on the springs. Solved by removing the pins :rolleyes:

chassis1_zpsvcr4lec2.jpg

• Like 1

More work on the chassis.

chassis2_zpsh5d1atew.jpg

Back axle fitted. Learning from the experience with the front, took extra care with test fits. Went together with no problems.

chassis4_zps7gnizadj.jpg

chassis3_zps5bcvchd2.jpg

chassis5_zpsrkca4qvr.jpg

• Like 1

Made a start on the cab interior. I'm not sticking rigidly to the colour callouts in the instructions - too much black!

The mounting of the accelerator pedal was rather odd as there's no visible locating point so I had to drill a small hole for it.

cab%20floor3_zpsbeiyr539.jpg

Progress will be a little slow as I'm waiting for paint to cure.

Edited by activexp

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my break and on with the build.

The paint on the panels has cured sufficiently to prepare for assembly of the body.

body%20panels%20prep1_zpsisyotiiu.jpg

The cab shell is almost complete, wing mirrors and spotlight to fit later. The fit of the opening doors isn't great and lack interior handles and winders. It's also a little disappointing that the locating tabs on the windscreen are clearly visible.

cab%20doors2_zpsve8nhy1g.jpg

Unfortunately I'm missing a part, one headlight lens. I hoped it might be loose in the bag but no sign of it anywhere so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Revell can supply a replacement.

clear%20sprue1_zpsptzrzwca.jpg

I've used a black surround but the tabs are so wide that to hide them entirely, the lines would be quite thick and look rather 'heavy' and wrong :(

Better news about the doors. After fitting the cab to the floor pan it's all got pulled together improving the general fit, not perfect but no large gaps. :)

Revell have confirmed my missing part request, no notification that it's unavailable, yet. Still keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1