Westland Wessex HU.5, Italeri 1/48

Bjorn

Straight out of the box, apart from a few additions.

21083046342_3d9c3845de_c.jpg

Apart from the no-fit-at-all nose, this is a rather simple build. However, checking references, it is obvious that Italeri seems to have made all the research in about twenty minutes or so. There are so many details that are wrong, so finally I deciced not to bother. It looks like a Wessex, and that is enough for me. But all of you rivet-counters have to wait for another brand to release a Wessex.

20472033393_bb750d3a7c_c.jpg

I used Tamiya and Gunze colours and dry-brushing and dry pastels for weathering.

21100543371_31a8727044_c.jpg

The decals were acceptable, although a number of them were too large, for instance, I had to cut the "Danger" decal about 3-4 mm! Of course, aftermarket decals are far better, but i deciced to use them anyway, Apart from one decal, XV719, with a rather strange 9:

20914710162_e236e6cfe1_c.jpg

Apart from looking weird, the decal is wrong. XV719 was a Wessex but not a HU.5 in this colour scheme. So I used decals from my decal spares box instead and made it into XS517. I also replaced the fin joker decal with diamonds - and here the accuracy problems started. So please do not check too many references when judging this one... :)

21100801441_ef01e121dd_c.jpg

20470482774_1919670da0_c.jpg

21082796152_a72ef8374f_c.jpg

20905023700_7973c8a0b4_c.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 40

Regardless of the accuracy issues (I'd never spot the errors!) that is a great looking Wessex. Lovely shading, finishing and representation of materials. Well done!

Looks really good to me. Should be proud of it, not defensive about it.

Thanks! I am not defensive about the build itself, just about the details and not-fixed Italeri errors. But I know there is so much knowledge about British subjects here, and suffering from the rivet-counter illness regarding Swedish subjects, I know that wrong details sometimes can be a bit disturbing. But as I wrote, it looks like a Wessex and that is enough for me! :) So once again, thanks!

• Like 1

Hello,Bjorn - Well done indeed on a splendid looking build of your 'Wessex'.I love the quality of finish and level of detail incorporated.She really looks the part.I hope I can make a Helo look so good.All the best,Paul.

A very nice build there! As for Italeri's research, just tell Hendie about it, lights blue touch paper and retires to a safe distance! :boom:

Martin