UPDATED - Airfield 1:48 diorama collections

Great stuff. And it's nice to see aircraft feature in dioramas. I'm not an aircraft modeller myself, but I have seen 'blurred props' .... I don't know what they are called, but they are transparent discs with the propeller tips blurred to simulate a spinning propeller for models in flight. I think they look pretty realistic and better in photos than static ones. Maybe you've heard of them, I don't know, but maybe something worth thinking about?

Lovely compositions, great paint-jobs and a great display cabinet for multi-level drooling!

Thanks guys - all your comments have been gratefully received. :)

Badder, I've seen those blurred props and agree they look pretty neat.

I've been tempted in the past but when I'm feeling brave enough to try, I'd love to install a tiny motor spinning the prop. Might incorporate lighting too on my next model.

Have a few ideas in the pipeline. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These are really magnificent and engrossing to look at. Bravo! I particularly like the way you have a wing or other detail sticking out over the edge of the base, like a smaller world spilling out into our own. If that makes sense? :)

Glad to have seen these.

Tony

Hi Baron. Its lovely how people seem to notice and appreciate these little touches. Yes, this is very intentional. But its quite challenging too as I have to consider how these models fit in a display cabinet, All the aircraft point in the same direction and positioning the aircraft really determines the scenery around it.

DSC0002_zpsdqujcl3q.jpg

Thanks for all your nice comments. Working hard on a new Mosquito diorama thats quite time consuming.

Edited by Suprastar3000
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ed, may I add my congratulations on your wonderful dioramas, they are fascinating. I have had a go at one or two dioramas and ended up scrapping them as I found it hard to get any where near a realistic finish.

The layering and level of detail you achieve is exceptional but I was wondering about the dimensions of your bases? You have partly answered my question in your last post. Do you impose restrictions on your self so they fit into your display case? I think this is a good idea as you can reproduce little slices of reality that are comparable - and limitations and restrictions increase creativity in many cases.

Have you ever entered any into a model show? It would be good to see them in real life, Hinckley is a good show and local to you? (and me, you see what I did there?).

I think the Grumman Duck idea sounds very interesting by the way

Andrew.

Hello Andrew,

Really appreciate your kind words. - Thanks

Pretty much all my diorama evolve slowly in time. I think thats what appeals to me.

A model gets to a stage when its completed and the airbrush gets put down. But with the dioramas I quite often play around and add to them. Sometimes start from scratch to include something I want to try.

I feel far more comfortable building scenery than I do with the actual model themselves.

To answer your question,... Yes I do impose restrictions.

A4 base (210 x 297mm) and the aircraft have to sit on the base facing toward the front right corner.

Entering a model show. Thanks for the encouragement mate but I'm way off the mark regarding ability.

But I would like to see other peoples creations. Hinckley is local too. Have you anymore info as I would be very interested in coming along to the next one.

At the moment I'm working on another De Havilland Mosquito 1/48 diorama.

Still working on the model for this,...

latestBuild1_zpshzjc6btb.jpg

latestBuild5_zpsdjvosocr.jpg

latestBuild2_zpsdipainpd.jpg

latestBuild3_zpselp80gss.jpg

latestBuild4_zpsrftsd3ts.jpg

Thanks,

Ed

• Like 3

UPDATE: Just finished another diorama in the same style and also updated the aircraft on the german diorama.

I've posted these in the aircraft section too, so apologies if you seen already.

Just wanted to keep them together.

HURR-1_zpsaxqxtw2h.jpg

HURR-2_zpsvap22oqu.jpg

HURR-4_zpsbltnnlxt.jpg

HURR-6_zps4m0wozhk.jpg

HURR-5_zpsigav1os2.jpg

FW190-1_zps9iyiwzr4.jpg

FW190-2_zpso3ykqmkj.jpg

FW190-3_zpsh0dsmnxy.jpg

FW190-4_zpsc5ispjgh.jpg

Hi,

I've posted these before, but never noticed the forum had its own section for dioramas,... so for any who havn't seen them, here they are again in the correct topic.

All comments appreciated.

DSC00043_zpsb7dvz3ui.jpg

DSC00048_zpsgo1wbut6.jpg

DSC00044_zpsc9ne7gmd.jpg

DSC00046_zpsu9utnzf7.jpg

DSC00049_zps0mwhjdb6.jpg

DSC00047_zpspl8pl5pw.jpg

some amazing work there may i ask how you did the planes flying?

• Like 3

Thanks Jim.

Originally (like the Spitfire and p51 diorama) I used some acrylic sheet I found in a skip. Was part of a literature dispenser :D

I then cut the arch with a Dremel and polished the edges. I had to be sympathetic to the model and consider where the acrylic attached to be less visible.

So on the p-51 the acrylic shape fits inside the tail wheel bay. Makes it easy to remove the model from the stand during repairs etc.

Since posting these pictures all the models and dioramas have been rebuilt as I've started using airbrushing more and more.

During this rebuild process I've made all these new scenes (must get some new pics up) with a different way of suspending the models.

I now use 3mm acrylic rod thats very strong and less visible than the sheets I cut.

The rods are much better and are much easier to work with. I definitely recommend 3mm acrylic rod if your planning and flying models.

Edited by Suprastar3000
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Been a bit quiet on here lately, but still working on a few ideas for some new dioramas.

Had a bit of a successful weekend though as I entered my first competition at the Shuttleworth Scale Model Exhibition 2017.

The other entries were in a different league to my models so didn't give myself much of a chance.

Imagine my utter amazement when I won 'Best in Show'.

So now I'm well and truly reinvigorated to build more,...

One very happy chappie.

16807200_10211439497166169_2663135034273

Edited by Suprastar3000
  • Like 4