1/72 Heller Gazelle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/MikePix/Waddington/Airshow2009/GazelleWaddingtonXZ939-2.jpg

Can't be much doubt that the nose glazing needs sorting

And there is no possible doubt that you are "the man" to watch do it Nigel

I have one of the Airfix starter kit Gazzles to build one day

Lets take in as much as I can from here first, huh

;)

popcorn on order

fresh tinny of amber necktie open already

yummy

• Like 2

One final thing, did I espy a fire extinguisher in there somewhere?

I have been looking for a fire extinguisher but haven't found one yet so if there is one it must be really tiny :hypnotised: . Do you think they will have Cavorite at Scale Scotland? If not, Hannants probably do it. I also built this kit as a kid, I have kept the unfinished item as I thought it might be handy for spares. I have vac formed the odd canopy with one of my Heath Robinson set ups and I don't see such a big issue with making a new nose glazing. I was kind of thinking that the kit part could be polished up though. Making a new part might be the better solution though. :hmmm:

• Like 1

"Do you think they will have Cavorite at Scale Scotland? If not, Hannants probably do it."

I can check out the Birmingham Bullring market. Reckon I may be able to pick up a "non-branded budget alternative", but it won't be as good as the proper stuff.

One way to compensate (and all credit for Perdu's discovery) is to make the fire extinguisher out of lead ;)

• Like 2

Hmm there is that little guy down near the bottom on the left

You could be right, he does have some 'under the counter esoterica' at times

I'm hoping to carpet the underfloor area on mine with Liquid Gravity, it has done amazing balancing on my Catalina which I thought was dooooomed to being glued to the base for ever

From what I remember of Aaron's build the floor could be replaced with a thinner substitute to make room for more

(ah no, just looked and its as small as a little thing from Lilliput)

maybe make a new floor from lead sheet to copy the Airfix one

thinks...........

• Like 1

Thanks Perdu, Lou also just tipped me off about the fire extinguisher:

0414156.jpg

And yes it is tiny, about 2.5mm long at most I reckon. Thanks for the picture link, I also like the blue mats.

Nigel do use a compass cutter ? tape cut out

Yes Rick, I do. Its no use for anything smaller than 10mm diameter but very handy for larger curves. This is mine:

P1000635_zpsf47d352a.jpg

• Like 4

Nice to see the next build come out so soon, I did enjoy following your Osprey build, very entertaining so looking forward to this saga!

Nice upholstery but check out the mobile phone;

SE-HUN2010-06-03_11:43:07_display_4343.j

Have they not just coated the inside with marzipan? looks quite hideous but would probably taste nice, especially if they used raspberry jam as an adhesive! :Tasty:

• Like 1

You have got to love the Gazelle - elegant, fun to fly, pretty sprightly for a single engine helo... and the simplest starting sequence imaginable. Unlike trivia from Bulldog days, I can't recall the detail, but I do remember that it had a simple switch that you put to "RUN", you pressed a button, and it all just happened. Just as well for must studes, mind you.

• Like 3

I have a list of most of what that needs amended on the Gazelle to make it representative of a production version (and also many of the updates that have been applied) somewhere, if you are interested I could post it, if not I'll just shut up and enjoy the show! :-)

One point on the roof site, later Airfix releases had the glazing with the roof site, but then it reverted back to the flat screen (in the same boxing, so it's sometimes a lottery!) so it's either a drop in on the mould or they made a second galzing mould for the roof site version. The site isn't the same as the one on AAC gazelles, but close enough for me! :-)

• Like 2

Might see you tomorrow then!

Corrections to basic kit as follows - as you are doing an HT2, they didn't change too much in service, just smoke flares on the skids when used by the Sharks, and occasionally ground wheels. They also could be seen with a strange'conical' pod which might have been a fancy smoke pod or something else on the forward skid support

1) Pitot tube needs adding to under the nose
2) Rotor head/blade attachments - these are very crude - at a minimum, remove and re-attach the blades at a centre point on the rotor hinge, not on top.
3) Engine air intake filter - on the kit, it's a straight cone shape. It should be a tube with a mesh cone on the rear half
4) The rear of the fin beneath the nav light needs modifying with a cut out and a loop added
5) Fenestron hub - all UK Gazelles had 'open' starboard hubs, the kit is solid
6) Antennae - the antenna fit is a very early one (e.g. the two blade antennae under the nose) - this is probably accurate for the HT2 but they are very thick!
7) Cockpit - you need to add control columns as a minimum, probablly collective as well but lots can be added
8) Rear side windows are a poor fit, and you need to scribe rear doors and add hinges

9) Circular mesh in intake (?) on starboard fuselage side

If you were doing an AH1, I have another list of 14 possible configuratuion changes that could be carried (and it's a bit out of date!)

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 2

That second list sounds enticing Dave, any chance you could post it too?

Sorry Nigel but any chance to get a comprehensive Gazelle list is too much to ignore

Even on a NIgel posting :(

Prompted me to take a look at the kit in my cupboard... and waver

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

Ok, this may be a little out of date as I've not updated it for a while, but also there's not been that many external mods to Gazelles in recent years:

Mods over time (Cumulative for modern AH1s – aircraft can have some or all of these fits)

1) Fin tip anti-collision light - current fit is higher and a different shape
2)'H' aerial on nose (Heller release had this)
3) Ferranti sight on port roof - the ability to carry this appears to be on all current AH1s, but not all have it. Heller kit (Or Airfix kit with wrong roof) provides a start, but UK sight is different
4) Sand filter - for a Gulf aircraft,
5) IR reduction exhaust (Sugar scoop) - not always fitted, came in the Airwaves set
6) - IR exhaust cowling - first seen on OP Telic aircraft, usually only seen on operational aircraft

7) Nose and tail now have vertical blade antenna fitted
8) Doppler box under rear of fuselage pod (there are also various small boxes under the main fuselage)
9) - skid wheels if fitted
10) Flotation bags if fitted (& associated gas tubes)
11) Antenna - the forward blade aerial was replaced by an 'L' shaped one
12) Stores boom sometimes fitted; Hele-tele and Nightsun on NI and other theatres (e.g. Iraq); Rockets on Falklands aircraft

13) There is an alternative antennae fit on the port side for communications fit

14) Some AH1s have an ECM fit that involves RWR receivers on ‘pins’ on the fuselage and on the outside of the ‘H’ antenna

Many (all?) AH1s were also fitted a more powerful engine, and apparently a slightly larger fenestron (in 1/72 it would be negligible?). I have also heard a comment that the Airfix fenestron has the wrong number of blades, but I can't see that?

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 3

That is great thanks Dave

I'm going to copy those posts to my Gazzle vault

I saw much of that in photos off the link in Cold War Aircraft that I think was posted for Selwyn

The links help clarify "who, what, where and when"

ta

b