1/72 Heller Gazelle

Hi Folks,

Having finally completed my Osprey I have decided to tackle a much smaller hovering machine. I purchased this kit from the Telford kit swap area three years ago, it is a reboxing of the Airfix kit first released way back in 1973 but with the addition of some new parts in 1989 - this boxing is from 1996:

P1110150_zpsrcxbz6wr.jpg

Here are the main sprues and the decals, most of which I won't be using:

P1110151_zpselzraavn.jpg

This is the additional sprue with the Heller tooled parts:

P1110152_zpsbwsgrfvg.jpg

I also have the Extratech PE set to stir into the mix:

P1110153_zpsr4e1yznf.jpg

The instructions are colorful and it all looks pretty straightforward:

P1110154_zpsyxbr0kvk.jpg

As well as the PE I also have these Carpena decals for an Iraqi machine:

P1110156_zpseqpjauhz.jpg

P1110157_zpsrohrc6sl.jpg

I also have the original Airfix kit and can do a little comparison of parts, here you can see that they have modified the roof glazing with some sort of sensor / gun sight thingy:

P1110158_zpsthy6xqge.jpg

Here the Heller nose glazing is on the right:

P1110159_zpskrjc99x6.jpg

Optically, none of the transparencies are that brilliant TBH.

The clear parts come from the same tooling but it has been modified for the Heller kit, if anything there has been a loss in fidelity over the years:

P1110160_zpsfzatdfgc.jpg

My thinking at the moment is that perhaps they should all be sanded flat, including the glazing bars and repolished from scratch. I'm not sure what to do about the nose.

There is a sink mark in the front floor but that will be hidden by the console. Part three is the PE detailing for it:

P1110161_zpsm2pkopjx.jpg

While scouting out my new project I found a mistake on the Extratech instructions where parts six and eleven have been transposed:

P1110162_zpsryodmih2.jpg

I was very inspired by milktrip's Gazelle build, and have been studying it intently. From my other researches I found there are several styles of seat, the kit seats don't match any so I reprofiled the back like this:

P1110163_zpsqwwuvdog.jpg

This is the style of seat I am trying to reproduce:

sa345_gazelle_hot_03_of_12.jpg

Like milktrip, I think the next thing to do to improve them is to add some Milliput seat cushions.

Next I removed the seat location pins as these seem to have them too far rearwards:

P1110164_zpsazwlbkbn.jpg

Well that's about as far as I've got so far, still very much conducting research and thinking really.

The first aircraft I ever flew in was this gazelle back in the late 1970s:

P1110155_zpskwpy24ux.jpg

Great fun.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 22

That's a classic reminds me of my childhood 1996 ! Man I am starting to fee old that's nearly 20 years ago how scary.

I really enjoyed these Heller Kits they where some of the more memorable builds I remember a late mark spitfire and Me163 Komet where some builds I loved back then both bought from the Cosford Model shop that is no more sadly near where the engines are situated and the DH Comet are today. I think it's an art Gallery now but back then it was full of kits and paints Books and Made up models hanging from the ceiling. The stuff of dreams. happy memories.

I will be watching this love the instructions they are very cool and the Gazelle is such a classic I think I did one as a kid matchbox I think and it ended up in the bin and I've never attempted a chopper since !

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 1

Looking forward to this - the rotary bug has well and truly bitten at the mo for some reason. Our local store in 1996 only sold Airfix so far as I can remember. I think I was probably building HMS Leander around this time.

• Like 1

I sense another Nigel masterclass in the offing.

My only suggestion to this build would involve the glazing. Perhaps you can use the nose glazing for a crash moulding. As for the other bits of glazing, even if you micro meshed them to crystal clear clarity would they still look a bit too thick and out of scale? Maybe they could be used as templates for thinner replacements.

Looking forward to this one :)

Trevor

• Like 2

Perhaps you can use the nose glazing for a crash moulding.

That is a very good idea, I can't see any way to polish it up to scratch. I think milktrip scratch built his doors in the end, I will have to ask him about how he did them. I think the kit windows would be fine though if they could be made a bit more transparent. I was going to have closed doors on this to better show off the camouflage scheme but I am now thinking that would be a bit dull and miss an opportunity to show off an interesting interior, especially as the glazing is a bit suspect.

• Like 4

That is a very good idea, I can't see any way to polish it up to scratch. I think milktrip scratch built his doors in the end, I will have to ask him about how he did them. I think the kit windows would be fine though if they could be made a bit more transparent. I was going to have closed doors on this to better show off the camouflage scheme but I am now thinking that would be a bit dull and miss an opportunity to show off an interesting interior, especially as the glazing is a bit suspect.

Shame with stuff like this there is no sourcery to manipulate soap bubble to stay in place instead of windows. That said the kit parts look ok to me but ive seen worse. It's an old kit but Crash molding is cool I'd like to see it done more so I can learn to do it. I think Perdu has done it recently on one of his builds. IIRC

• Like 1

Glad to see this on the bench. I would advise opening the doors. The the kit glazings are far too thick and IIRC the rear doors are not the correct size; by opening them up you correct this. I've used other extra tech sets and they are okay but to be honest the gazelle set is pretty rubbish. I only used a couple of bits: most parts where either undersized (cyclic) or over sized (swash plate). Whilst on the latter, the main rotor needs some extra work. Also, thinning the fenestron blades improves the overall look. You can try sanding them but I think it's easier to replace the blades with strips of plastic card.

Another failing is the engine air intake. However, yours is a different style so could make things easier or more difficult.

Can't wait and good luck. The airfix gazelle (same as heller) is one of my favourite model kits. Great memories of childhood builds along side the scout. Can't wait to see it get the Nigel treatment

• Like 2

I built one of the Airfix version back in the day, I was really pleased that I didn't get any glue on the tail-rotor whilst assembling it and with a good strong puff it could be made to whizz round like a fan.

My amusements are far more sophisticated these days, of course :D

I look forward to seeing how yours turns out Nigel...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

the gazelle set is pretty rubbish. I only used a couple of bits: most parts where either undersized (cyclic) or over sized (swash plate).

I had similar experience with the Extratech PE on my Flying Banana, where quite a few parts were oversized. The cyclics I am going to make out of brass rod and tube anyway and I thought the swash plate was too big but haven't checked it out yet - thanks for the heads up. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Here we go folks, another Nigel masterpiece at the gate, ready for take off. It's going to be a fun ride and, as usual, a great tutorial in the offing.

As for the glazing, especially the nosepiece, vacuforming would be the best, but crash molding would probably be simpler. Now that pristine workbench of yours isn't going to remain that way for long.

Edited by louiex2
  • Like 1

Blimey. The list of fixes lengthens - not that I doubt Nigel's abilities in any way at all.

However, it reminds me of the old saying ,"detach and lift control column. Throw away aircraft. Insert new aircraft. Lower and re attach control column".

Trevor

• Like 1

A Nigazelle! What's not to like? I have a 90% complete supposedly 1/48 (actually 1/50) Heller Gazelle that sits reproaching me on a shelf overlooking my bench. The canopy / bubble was the area that defeated me (so far...) on that, and those sprue shots look very familiar. Even if you use it (and I too vote for a crash mould), check the lateral fit very carefuliy; mine was a lot too wide.

The other more obvious area, apart from the lack of space to fit nose weight, is getting enough strength in the skid attachment points.

I look forward to seeing where you take thus; it might even shame me into finally sorting out my 705NAS "Sharks" example!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Don't forget to add weight!! Lots of it :) tungsten putty worked for me as there isn't much space to put it

I picked up the need for weight from your build (and others) , I plan to scour Scale Scotland for some high density putty. :winkgrin:

• Like 2

Another inspiring build to look forward to. Nice subject too. I built the Airfix blister pack kit as a lad. I always liked the fantail, which amazed me as a curious boy. I can't offer any tips from that build though ... oh yes I can - don't use sellotape for your masking, and don't paint the canopy frames with an other size paint brush freehand :)

On a serious note, I agree with the guys above that crash moulding the canopy is probably the best solution. I must confess to never having made a serious attempt at the process myself though, so it is easy for me to say. However, I do have a couple of projects in mind that may require said technique, so I admit to holding an ulterior motive by egging you on :devil:

Looking at the skids and other bits, methinks you will be busy with your soldering iron.

As for the nose weight, I recommend a small dab of cavorite on the tail.

One final thing, did I espy a fire extinguisher in there somewhere?

• Like 3