compressor correct setup

S5 modeller

Hi.

I run an antique hydrovane compressor.

CAM00250.jpg

It was gifted to me a while back, and still works perfectly. I love it as it is virtually silent.

It still makes good pressure, and puts out a constant 40 psi.

The problem is, there is no output control on it.

I've fitted a water trap on the outlet, then use poly pipe and push fittings to run to a home made valve block. I have a pressure gauge fitted in the block, a flow control valve and an outlet. I then connect the airbrush to the outlet.

Question is, have I got it in the right order?

When I start the compressor the gauge hits 40 psi as it is before the pressure adjustment, then when I depress the airbrush trigger the pressure gauge drops, to what I presume is the air pressure at the tip.

Would it be better to have the pressure control before or after the gauge?

Any help would be appreciated, as setting the pressure is rather hit and miss.

Thanks for looking.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

May I ask what brush/s you use with it, and have you got a pic of the various bits of the set up?

I only ask because I thought this was a bleed-type compressor and it doesn't have a tank with it - happy to be corrected if I am wrong!

cheers

Jinxman.

Don't know what you mean by bleed type.

I use cheap knock off airbrushes at the moment.

Jason, will swap my valve block around.

CAM00126.jpg

This is my valve block, made from large hexagonal steel, to withstand any pressure, a lever valve to adjust the pressure, and a threaded outlet on the end of the block to connect the airbrush.

I have a clarke dual action suction feed airbrush with a side siphon cup.

A no brand trigger style gravity fed single action spray gun.

A spraycraft external mix siphon feed starter airbrush system.

Hope that helps.

hi,

A bleed-type compressor is one that pumps out compressed air direct to the airbrush/gun/whatever as long as it is switched on. I used to have a Morris & Ingram/Badger one back in the day which was a diaphragm compressor, and I think the one you have works using rotors to compress the air - both types are pretty much bullet proof.

When I used mine the screw adapter to connect the airline had a small hole in it so that any excess pressure was automatically bled off, e.g if I was not spraying with it, or spraying at a low pressure through the regulator I used.

Once the price of compressors came down I got rid of it because there was almost no way of controlling the output accurately, and it also pulsed because of the diaphragm.

I might be wrong about the type of compressor you have but it looks like a Binks Bullows one a mate of mine used for car touch up stuff a while back. He used to run it for hours on end without any problems, but did have to change the oil filter regularly as it pumped out oil into the air line - this was part of the design process so not a fault.

cheers

Just found this on ebay - looks the same as yours..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Binks-bullows-hydrovane-compressor-/271928195495?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f502ef9a7&nma=true&si=jV8r673%252Bj1qVOV2O%252FCIJyYaswZs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by Jinxman
  • Like 1

Cheers jinxmam for the info.

It is a vane compressor, and due to this,the air supply doesn't pulse like the piston type. Makes it a reliable supply,although it has to be on constantly as it has no tank.

I've thought about adding a tank and pressure switch, but it would work out fairly expensive, unless I could rig up a heath Robinson affair. I have seen people use the air receivers from truck brake systems. Might work if I could get a cheap second hand one.

I acquired a propane cylinder to try and convert, but it only has 1 inlet. Don't know if I could get round that with a multi inlet manifold though.

The pressure switch I looked at had multi connections, but wasn't sure how to go about connecting it.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/pressure-switch-4-port-20-amp-1-phase

This is the one I was looking at. Not sure if it would work or not. Theoretically with 4 ports, one could connect to the tank, one to a regulator, one to vent and the fourth to the compressor .

Don't know if that arrangement would work, because looking at the manifold on the bottom all the ports seem to be connected. That might mean that whatever was connected might bypass the tank, and just feed straight off the compressor, making the tank obsolete.

Any insights?

Edited by S5 modeller

No insights from me about DIY on compressors - one of those areas where I dare not venture!

I am still interested as to where you are bleeding off the excess pressure though when the compressor is running?

cheers

• Like 1

I am still interested as to where you are bleeding off the excess pressure though when the compressor is running?

cheers

The air doesn't bleed at all whilst it's running, just a constant pressure to the airbrush. Perhapse that's why the compressor gets hot pretty quick.

Mind you, I never have it running for long periods, maybe 10 mins at a time.

I've got a clarke tiger 2hp compressor with a tank, it's sitting in the box,awaiting the day I get it installed in my shed.