Airportable Landrover

MikeB1

New to the forum and hoping to pick up some tips and learn from all you talented modellers out there. I have owned all variants of landrover, except one, over the years. I always fancied a airportable but never got round to it, so I thought I'd model one instead! Couldnt find a kit that took my fancy(is there a decent one?) so I started a scratch build. Had plenty of experience in workshops over the years but havent done a huge amount of model making. Couldnt find a really good set of coachbuilders plans for a lightweight but did find a reasonable though not great 88 inch chassis drawing and very poor quality side elevation and plan view of bodywork. Matched these two up,searched online for a suitable pair of wheels and matched those in and it works out that the scale is 1:7.7 odd but fine by me. My eyesight is not what it was so big is good!!! Many things on this, are guestimates from 100's of phots of lightweights so I am judging best I can from those. Not in the strictest sense for the purist, a fine scale model!!

Well under way now with the landy, built the chassis(plywood) Made up vac form patterns for the bulkhead, the front and rear floors and the front valence, these are now complete apart from a little fettling. Started on the front wings and I decided that for the majority of the bodywork I'd go aluminium. One front wing complete. Leaf springs done, 2 attached so far. Like to share it get some feedback and advice if only I could figure out how to post images?

Looking forward to this!

Posting images requires a host (Photobucket, or your Hotmail account's OneDrive or similar) and then just embedding the link to the image (Photobucket give you a handy button to click) using the strange icon in the Britmodeller forums that looks a bit like a polaroid photo of a cabbage just below and to the left of the "smiley" icon.

Since you sound like an expert in all things Land Rover, can you tell me if the airportable was ever used for towing Harriers around or was that an occasional job left to LWBs and the like?

Kirk

Edit: Photobucket etc all "free" to register. Don't pay to store (plastic) model photos.

Edited by Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I am part way there, got them on photobucket cant find the photogenic sprout though! is this what it wants

http://s613.photobucket.com/user/mikeb3/library/

Not an expert in any sense at all and definitely not in a military way so cant answer that question/ I have just owned quite a few of them, best vehicles I ever had, no electronics!!

Thanks for that offer Simmerit, I will probably take you up on that, I cant find enough detailed info on the web. For me, it was the Landy that got away!

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

interesting build you have there, it kind of reminds me of my 1:10 RC Landrover that i'm building (though mine is a kit but i'm adding a load of extra detail). I can see you've already been exploring the RC accessories angle, those wheels look fairly similar to what i'm putting on my Landy. I like your vacforming, it looks very smart, far better than what you get inside most of the stuff at around that scale.

To get your pictures from photobucket to here all you need to do is go to the top left corner of the photo you want to use in your photobucket library. There's a set of three lines that appear along with a drop down menu. Click 'share' on this menu, then you want to click on the bottom box under the title IMG. It will flash up yellow and say 'copied'. Then all you need to do is paste it into here and it's done!

Also you can preview your post so you can actually see what's going to appear on your thread by clicking 'more reply options', it will then come up for you to check and you can still edit it before you press post.

Anyway I hope this helps, I look forward to seeing your build progress, it might give me some ideas on how to get my interior done, as at the moment i'm at a bit of a loss.

Edited by bangle

• 2 weeks later...

Actually for some strange reasons, its about 1/8th scale, 1.77:1 from best I can work out. Will post more pics soon.

Sorry right answer, wrong question!!