Early F-105D Thunderchief and the rest of the family

Howdy all,

Just finished my attempt at making an Early Vietnam era F-105D from the old 1/48 Monogram kit

CshPSQJ.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of the 334th TFS/355th TFW, Takhli RTAFB, Thailand, circa 1964/65

q8aPIrS.jpg

Had to make a few mod`s to the base kit, including: deletion of the gun compartment vents, deletion of the afterburner cooling air scoops,

BaHns2u.jpg

deletion of the fuselage spine, enlarge the tail air intake, removed various scab plates from the air frame, gun camera and nose antennas.

To5Sph8.jpg

Noticed in photo`s that the Aluminium Silver Paint they were finished in didn`t show too many panel lines, so kept them to a minimum

hCRfX5P.jpg

Decals came from the stash.

Here`s some pic`s of the rest of the family so far........Later model F-105D, `Polish Glider`

MyvEEn8.jpg

EF-105F, Early Wild Weasel, `Sinister Vampire`

IdMZFWA.jpg

And finally; F-105G, Wild Weasel, `Hanoi Hustler`

T755v9e.jpg

Hope I haven`t bored you too much with my Thud obsession

Thanks for looking, Cheers Russ

• Like 68

Love brush painted(?) polka dots. AFAIK no silver polka dots decals available but you made it by your ways and nicely done. How did you paint those realistic looking exhaust petals and how do you get neat and subtle weathered on the rest of the airframe? Truly enjoy to see as well as your camo ones.

• Like 1

Hello,RussC - Congratulations on your superb looking builds of your Thunderchiefs.Like all your builds,they're an absolute credit to you.and look resplendent.You needn't apologise for being over-enthusiastic or obsessive towards a certain type of aircraft at all.I might be a little(?) guilty of that myself!?Often this passion of subject is reflected in the finished article and that I certainly shows in your results.Inspirational.All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Love brush painted(?) polka dots. AFAIK no silver polka dots decals available but you made it by your ways and nicely done. How did you paint those realistic looking exhaust petals and how do you get neat and subtle weathered on the rest of the airframe? Truly enjoy to see as well as your camo ones.

Thanks 777, Glad you like it, re panel lines and petals; I drew the panel lines in with a thin mechanical pencil, then depending where they were; dry brushed over them with Olive Drab ( both light and dark), or dark grey. The petals, I painted black and then dry brushed gun metal, silver, aluminium and olive drab in various places until I was happy.

Hope that makes sense :)

I'm a big Thud fan; this is all I could wish for! The Revell/Monogram kits are also a 'thing' of mine...suddenly I need a few more. That early D is a real treat -and just as I was pondering the rather seductive B ('Xanadu' at Tinker AFB) that appeared on the front page of Cybermodeler the other day. Oh well!

F105F_Last%20ANG%20Thud%20600.jpg

• Like 5

You can never have too many Thuds!

I love the aircraft but have only ever built one example which was a WIF in RAF Raspberry Ripple scheme.

• Like 2

Lovely looking collection of Thunderchiefs!

Had the good fortune to visit Spangdahlem AFB a few years back where they have one on display inside the fence, until I was stood next to the thing I'd no idea it was such and absolute monster of an aircraft!

Great work!

Nik

• Like 1

In passing, whilst doing a little idle 'net research into the T-Stick II Thuds, I found an extract from Peter Davies' monograph on the F-105 under Google Books:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mqp2Nh2ydxcC&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=an/arn-92+loran&source=bl&ots=YQ1kDFGm2f&sig=ZwqPhPmQm6LUbcWY2G3upRu2AJY&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=an%2Farn-92%20loran&f=false

Not that I'm too cheap to get the paper version, you understand...ahem. But may be of interest to the afficionados here.

Edited by AngstROM
  • Like 1