Avis 1/72nd La-200 'Korshun' radar.....'Toriy' Radar version now available

general melchett

Good news for us Soviet 'weird and wonderful' modellers, Avis are to release a 1/72nd Lavochkin La-200. https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BX72014

I would expect Amodel/Modelsvit quality with its short run nature and going by their previous releases. Hopefully they'll follow it up with the later and weirder La-200B some time down the line.

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

Jason, totally agree. It has the distinction of being (unofficially) the ugliest jet built. Unicraft do the La-200B but not a kit I'd relish attempting....and I'll try almost anything !

Steve...that's what's so endearing about these early Russian jets....just look at the first Su-15 !

• Like 3

Hopefully they'll do all three versions of the La-200; I mean one's prettier than another - how can you choose? With the resin Lavochkin jets that Prop & Jet are doing (beautiful resin kits by all appearances, and in the one true scale) it looks like soon it might be possible to build all the weird and wonderful (and unfortunately unsuccessful) Lavochkin jets. Does anyone do an La-15? I can't think of any kits offhand but as that was the only Lavochkin jet to go into production, it seems someone would have kitted it. If it seems that I know a bit about the Lavochkin jets it's because WARNING: SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION! I've just written a book on Lavochkin fighters and sent the manuscript off to the publisher (Fonthill Media - publisher of fine books, and mine also). It's mainly about the GPW Lavochkins (LaGG-3, La-5, and the La-7), but it does include some information about both the piston-engined post-war fighters (La-9 and La-11) and the post-war jets (La-15, La-150, etc.).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 3

Does anyone do an La-15? I can't think of any kits offhand but as that was the only Lavochkin jet to go into production, it seems someone would have kitted it.

VES tooled a 1/72 kit. It was reboxed by Cooperativa.

• Like 1

Thank you, Laurent! I'd forgotten about that one. I might have to pick that up, although that's a little too normal-looking for my tastes so I might have to pick up the La-200 first.

Regards,

Jason

Geoff, I had a feeling you might think it right up my alley ! :winkgrin:

Ken, you too..just got to be done !

Laurent and Jason, totally agree, all three would be nice......funny old thing this Soviet design business at one end you have the sleek looking Sukhoi Su-17R, (LF Models do a resin one and so I believe did Legato, not sure if it isn't the same model though, I know Ken's done one).

http://q-zon-fighterplanes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Sukhoi-Su-17-R.jpg

And at the other this wonderful monstrosity !

http://q-zon-fighterplanes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Lavochkin-La-200-B1.jpg

Thanks goodness for the USSR bringing us these wonderful designs...

Re the Unicraft La-200B...I think, erm 'basic' is the kindest word I can apply to it in polite company around here !

http://www.unicraft.biz/on/la200b/la200b.htm

Jason, great stuff, I'll keep an eye out for it.....and there's nothing wrong with a bit of self-promotion...if you 'don't blow yer own trumpet who else will '? is how I look at it (and the Memsahib agrees wholeheartedly, a little too readily for my taste, I think she's got the wrong end of the stick again but there you are :doh: )...

• Like 1

Legato did the Su-17 (Type R)........

su-17r_01.jpg

It's not the best model I've ever made - but then it wasn't the best kit.....

su-17r_03.jpg

The whole forward fuselage and cockpit could be jettisoned in an emergency as an escape capsule - something that pre-dates the F-111 by a decade or so.

Built in 1949, it never flew.

Ken

• Like 4

General, I wasn't familiar with that Su-17; quite nice-looking aircraft in fact. The Soviets did indeed run the gamut from the sublime to the ridiculous when it came to aircraft. Who else would think of a retractable-winged biplane/monoplane (IS-1 and IS-2)? I know the Soviets have a reputation for producing rather staid and sturdy aeroplanes, but their experimental types were something to behold. I had actually intended to have that photograph of the lovely and talented La-200B in my book, but unfortunately it didn't make the cut. To be honest though, I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or a good thing; I can imagine someone opening my book to that particular page, fainting dead away and not only foreswearing off my books forever, but perhaps all books. I don't think I could have that on my conscience. However, that is an aeroplane that it's no use describing - you just have to see (if you dare!) a photograph of it. However, when or if Avis produce it, I will buy it.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. Ken, thank you for posting that Su-17 model! That is a rather attractive-looking aeroplane. Pity the kit wasn't better but your model looks quite nice.

Edited by Learstang

Thanks Ken, lovely model...one I must get hold of to add to the ever growing collection of Soviet 'weirdos' though the LF one isn't exactly cheap !

Jason it's unforgivable that you omitted the La-200........I shall now not read your book ! :wicked:

There was me thinking the X-32 was ugly

You were not alone Julien...truly hideous, like the deranged love child of the original Su-15 if you squint hard enough.

http://www.aer.ita.br/~bmattos/mundo/images_jul06/Sukhoi_Su-15P.jpg

(Apologies for the thread drift but it's such a fascinating subject).

• Like 1

Wow, great job on the Unicraft kit, Ken! General, I understand your anger - to not include in my book a photograph of that beauteous creature is beyond unforgivable. Perhaps as penance I'll write a book solely on the La-200 called something like 'Fleeting Beauty: The Story of the La-200', or some such rubbish as that. Certain to sell dozens of copies. People will buy them just to burn them in the town square.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

Jason, totally agree. It has the distinction of being (unofficially) the ugliest jet built.

Well, I dunno... Even in the Soviet Union alone, the competition is fierce.

la-174tk.jpg

%D0%A1%D0%A3-15_%D0%9F%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B2

t3-3.jpg

Sukhoi-PT-7.jpg

Sukhoi-T-49.jpg

Sukhoi-L02-10.jpg

ye152a_03.jpg?w=450

il40-7.jpg

...and for me, the Sokol nose takes the cake:

Lavochkin-La-200-B1.jpg

Now excuse me while I go drown myself in pictures of kittens...

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 2

Nice collection of piccies, BH! I don't know, though, the Mikoyan Ye-150 (third from the bottom) has a certain brutish charm, almost as if the twin engines on the E.E. Lightning just kept getting bigger until they finally merged into one huge turbojet. The fourth one from the top though looks like it's about to vomit, perhaps mimicking the faces of most people when they saw it for the first time.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

How could you include the wonderful Mikoyan Ye-152A in that lot Bonehammer...a thing of brutal beauty as Jason points out. Though you're quite right about the rest...the T-7 in particular, looks like it's sticking it's tounge out at the aviation industry, but I'm a huge fan of the aesthetically challenged...just ask the Mem !

Ken I was sorely tempted to get hold of the Su-15 when it first appeared but never got around to it, hopefully someone else will come to the rescue in the near future with something a little more refined...great model btw.

Jason, I would buy every copy of any book you wrote about the La-200, if only to prevent them falling into the hands of those heathens who'd demand the satanic images be burned at the stake. I think it should be titled...' The La-200... Semyons Revenge', or 'Why I should stick to designing missiles'

Back to the La-200 and I shudder to think what kind of forward vision, if any the pilot would have had at any point of a flight let alone at night, in high winds, rain or snow, glaring sun, frozen runway, etc....tough breed those Soviet aircrew types.....(also the undercarriage doesn't quite look up to the job of keeping that lot off the runway for very long...). One can only wonder what the NATO designation might have been had it gone into operational service.....'frightful', 'faceache', 'flop'..........'forgawdsake' even.

• Like 2

Nice collection of piccies, BH! I don't know, though, the Mikoyan Ye-150 (third from the bottom) has a certain brutish charm, almost as if the twin engines on the E.E. Lightning just kept getting bigger until they finally merged into one huge turbojet. The fourth one from the top though looks like it's about to vomit, perhaps mimicking the faces of most people when they saw it for the first time.

Regards,

Jason

You mean the PT-7? In truth it's one I had never heard of (not surprisingly) and stumbled upon it while looking for a picture of the T-49 (fifth from the top). Indeed it does look like the engineers at Sukhoi were listening to black market records at the time...

rolling-stones-logo.jpg

How could you include the wonderful Mikoyan Ye-152A in that lot Bonehammer...a thing of brutal beauty as Jason points out.

When considering its performance, yes, but going by looks alone it's like someone attached a pair of wings and a cockpit to an engine test tunnel...

EDIT: IMHO no discussion of the ugliness of the Su-15 can be complete unless one is aware of the twistedness of its innards. And oh, dear. I just found the Su-10. Who designed this thing? Hayao Miyazaki in a fever-induced dream? Anyway I want one in 1/72.

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 1