And the ultimate Hurricane book?

Potato Pete

No. There are a number of quite good works, of which the best is probably still Mason's despite some flaws, but no single volume. You could try the Haynes manual, or Tony O'Toole's recent work, or the Datafile (if you must), but they are no match for Spitfire the History. Other good sources are Marek Rys' MMP Special and for the early days "Sydney Camm and the Hurricane" from Airlife.

Edited by Graham Boak

I`d recommend the Mason book and the Haynes manual too but there is also a good book entitled `Hurricane- The Illustrated History' by Phillip Birtles which has some very nice photos and does have good coverage of the type.

I did hear that Morgan & Shacklady had been working on a Hurricane book but that they never completed it!

Cheers

Tony

for early service history two new monographs from Lela Presse - "The RAF in France 1939-40 - Hawker Hurricane " ... each are 13 Euros for 96 pages (French text) but you get 200 images and 20 artworks in each booklet. The Battle and Blenheim have also appeared in this series..

http://www.avions-bateaux.com/produit/batailles-aeriennes/2266

1HurriAirfix3.jpg

The Birtles book is OK but only one of several similar offerings that cover the main matter but don't go deeply into things. There's another one from Crowood - I forget the author for now but may edit this later. The Hurricane is obviously a subject that requires a new book every few years, so they keep coming out but are largely recycling of the main story with hopefully some new pictures; generally nice enough and good introductions but not the kind of in-depth work asked for. There's a set of four volumes from AJ Press if you like 1/48 plans, colour side views and large nicely-produced pictures.

There was word around that someone was working up a history of every individual Hurricane, but this went quiet. I've since heard that he died and his work is lost. Whether this was one story or a blend of two I don't know, so perhaps we may be surprised yet.