Car for a WW1 German Pilot?

HansReggelsen

A quick question:

What type of car would be used by a german WW1 pilot?

in 1/32 - would it be german - like a Mercedes or could it be any sort of car? :shrug:

I'm contemplating doing a vignette in 1/32 and would like to include a car, but which one? Can I use any of Airfix' classic carkits?

Can you help?

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

I suspect the "1904 Mercedes" would be your best bet. The de Dietrich might be another option. The Darracq is apparently actually 1/24 scale, so no good standing next to a 1/32 aircraft! You really need something more modern... Ten years was a long time in the evolution of cars in Edwardian times. There's quite a difference between the 1911 Vauxhall Prince Henry and Lanchester and the 1905 Silver Ghost, even allowing for the latter being years ahead of its time...

Bestest,

M.

I'd say a German marque with a French car as a secondary choice, no doubt a few were commandeered for the duration. I'm not sure what current kits are available, but there tends to be a good few for sale on evil bay.

I like you're idea for the vignette, it'll add a nice side interest.

Regards Adrian

No problem ;-P

If you can find them, Pyro also did some nice 1/32 vintage cars, and there are a couple of 1906 Renaults that would fit the bill:

scan202.jpg

hpmkpict192.jpg

I can certainly see the Renault Town Car being pressed into service as a squadron tender -- I'm pretty sure that it's more or less identical to the Renault Taxis that were central to the "Miracle on the Marne"...

bestest,

M.

Depends on how accurate you want to be.

The Ford T as a car did not reach mainland Europe until post WW1. There were very few in the UK until the Ford plants in Cork and Manchester started assembly and then manufacture in 1917. Ford production of the T started in Paris in 1919 and later in Germany, but not the T there.

There was a myriad of small car makers in Germany prior to WW1, as there were throughout Europe.

Most of the German car makers turned to engine and aeroplane building from 1914.

The Mercedes the Airfix 1904 Mercedes represents was built up to 1913, but with differing bodywork. It could be used as it is but the firewall needs heightened and a windscreen frame added. The car the kit represents was the '03 Gordon-Bennet Race winner type.

These were still the days when a car was very expensive and could be ordered with bespoke coach built bodies.

For this I would take the Airfix 1904 Mercedes and use the radiator, bonnet, chassis and running gear, get the Airfix de Deitrich or 1905 Rolls Royce [NB its not a Silver Ghost] and use parts of their bodywork and plastic card and their seats to make a bespoke body.

Depending on how many friends the pilot has the car could have 2, 3, or 4 seats

HTH

Fred

[owner of several vintage cars, vintage car club member and former writer about veteran & vintage cars]

• Like 3

Thanks for the input Sgt. Squarehead and Black Knight! :)

I have been thinking about the T-model as well, but have reached the conclusion based on kit availability that I will go with a De Dietrich from Airfix.

De Dietrich apparently had two plants - one in Alsace and one in Lorraine, thereby giving the idea, that some of these cars fell into german hands some credibillity. :hmmm:

I have also come to the conclusion that we need more WW1 cars! :please:

Hans J

• Like 1

Hi Adrian! :)

I have googled a bit around, but there isn't that many photos of cars from that period.

I think I'll just have to wing it! :winkgrin:

I have ordered a Wingnut Fokker D.VII, but the main reason for all this is, that I have some Modelkasten WWI figures on the way and I just needed something for them! :D

Yes I know - it's total backwards :mental: , but am I the only one to order some figures or decals or resin and only then have to find out what to use them for? :winkgrin:

The figures are these:

http://www.hlj.com/product/MDKF-07/Air

&

http://www.hlj.com/product/MDKF-06/Air

I really liked them so ordered them without knowing what to do with them. So now I have to get something to use them with.

I think a small vignette with the Officer and wife (?) and the nurse with the car - something like: "Sister Hannelore, I'm married and this is my wife!" (Ohh..the tension! :winkgrin: )

The other figures I'll use with the Fokker and perhaps another plane in two other vignettes/dioramas (when is vignette a diorama? :hmmm: )

Hans J

Edited by HansReggelsen

If I only put it alongside figures, then I'm not that worried about scale.

I'm only 174 cm tall and have friends that are almost 190 cm, som maybe this pilot is tall? :coolio:

Together with a plane, well that's another case! :winkgrin:

Hans J

Never mind the scale... it's a Mach 2 kit!!! Run away screaming now! Mind you, if you attempt it alongside a Wingnut Wings kit, you will pretty much have both ends of the plastic model spectrum from the sublime to the ridiculous in the same diorama...

Those Modelkasten figures look fantastic, by the way... it's a shame they only do those two sets in 1/32, because I'd love to see others done that well. I thought that kind of imagination in subject matter was pretty much limited to Master Box, but it seems not!

All the best,

M.

• Like 1

Yes the Modelkasten figures looks great.

I think they do others as well, but haven't been able to finde any other WW1 figures. :weep:

As for the Mach2 kit - I've never been shy of a challenge (actually I have - but I just couldn't drink that! Ratzeputz was water compared to that! :winkgrin: )

Cheers

Hans J :bye:

Just found this: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MACHAR08 1/35 Taxi de la Marne! :yahoo: Ok it's 1/35, but for my purposes it'll do just fine! Cheers :bye:Hans J

I agree it looks fine and certainly the right age of car,despite the scale difference. Put the car in the background with the figure and aircraft in front and I believe it will add depth to vignette, particularly when looked at from a horizontal perspective.

As for being a Mach 2 kit, it might be a challenge, but hey, every kit is a blank canvas.

I'm looking forward to see any photos when you have finished.

Regards, Adrian

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire