Revell 1:72 Hawker Hunter F.Mk.6

The Hunter is my favourite British fighter jet. For me it’s our Cold War equivalent of the Spitfire (please folk that’s a personal opinion, no offence intended). As one of the posters on the WIP thread remarked: “a real racing car of a plane”. And it certainly is.

I made a few mistakes and the finished result aint without its flaws(just noticed a few more :whistle:) , but I am chuffed with the outcome. The kit is very nice, and a casual surf on tinternet will bear this out. A crying shame it is not currently in production. That said they can be picked up on evilbay for a reasonable offering. I understand it is reasonably accurate, although I didn’t reference any plans or undertake any significant mods. Anyroad build thread is here: Build Thread

It fits together well, and is nicely detailed. There are numerous nuances on the real aircraft such as various ducts and cockpit details that Revell captures quite well, and in my opinion does a good job at representing in 1/72 at the cost of a mainstream kit. That said it does have its short comings, but in no way do they undermine the kit.

The wing to fuselage join is a good fit but it does leave a noticeable seam. Not a big issue really, but the real aircraft is virtually seamless (it is a fine raised seam/flange), so this was filled. Not a major job, but a little tricky around the panel line and rivet detail which I had to reinstate. The wing tips and dog tooth leading edges are moulded separately and are a little wide. They really need to be filed flush with the wing and care is needed not too obliterate the panel line details – or just do what I did and sand away and reinstate the details later, less faff.

There is no trunking or such for the intakes – they are left open. You can either just paint the inside of the wings, or do what I and other modellers have done and make your own trunking. In addition, I cut out an aperture for an engine turbine which I cast from the Airfix Lightning. Of course all this took yonks and is barely visible, but hey I know it’s there!

I used the full Eduard etch aftermarket. This includes a few bits and bobs on the aircraft, but more significantly the cockpit and flaps. The latter are well worth it. A bit fiddly but nice ‘n authentic looking (the kit offerings aint too bad to be honest). As for the cockpit accessories, again nice and authentic looking – the IP is quite exquisite, even if it’s barely visible! It does include replacements for the side consoles. If I knew then what I knew now I wouldn’t bother using them as I feel the kit offering is better – raised detail, and a little TLC hairy brush work will render a nice 3d effect. There is the obligatory etch belt fiddly mayhem, but they look nice.

In addition to the etch I added some scratch and a few minor mods. The biggest was the airbrake. If you want to have it closed then there is no problem. If you want it open, and accurate, then you have to cut off the hinge and glue that in place separately. Plus make an aperture for the retraction arm. Or you can get an aftermarket correction, but you still have to do the equivalent work, or you can not bother as it isn’t really that noticeable.

I cut out and realigned the tail rudder at an angle for interest; added navigation lights from polished clear sprue (but too far inboard!), and a tail light; drilled out and added a gunsight from clear sprue in the nose (can’t be seen); replaced the kit fuel duct and Sabrina cartridge ejection ducts with Albion Alloy tubing; ditto various undercarriage struts. Added some details to the undercarriage bays, flaps and nose wheel and bay. Pitot replaced with modified needle, a few bits and bobs to the drop tanks, and added various antennae and sensors. These probably aren’t consistent with the true avionics of the aircraft in its day, but are a best guestimate! Finally I added various bits and bobs in the cockpit and bulkhead, which again are barely discernible, but hey I know they’re there! There is the gunsight which I scratch built, not perfect but I feel better than the kit offering.

With the exception of the cockpit and tyres (Tamiya NATO Black), and the exhaust ring (Alclad Polished Aluminium) all the paints are Humbrol enamels – HU163 and HU164 for the camo, and Metalcote Polished Aluminium for the underside. The gun troughs are Metalcote Polished Steel.

I used a home-made wash for the panel lines using ground pastels (a little dark for my liking), and the weathering was done using pastels. A few paint chips here and there, and finished off with a coat of Alclad Klear Kote semi-matt.

In conclusion, a really nice kit, great fit and enjoyable build. What I like about it is that you could just build this OOB on a rainy Saturday afternoon, not worry about its niggles cos they are minor really, and you’d have a cracking Hunter. Or you could go the other extreme and use it as a baseplate to super detail it to bits. Whatever you decide you will have fun and a nice Hunter. A crying shame there are few if any decent 1/72 Hunters around – Aifix take note!

Furnished in the markings of 65th Squadron – thanks to Col for the decals – famous for its fifteen swords emblem, made famous in the WWI dogfight when the squadron shot down that number of enemy aircraft. You can see the restored aircraft at Duxford, although a little more scrubbed up than mine. Anyway enough waffle, please enjoy.

Hunter%20RFI15_zpsj2gigkyv.jpg

Hunter%20RFI20_zpspmcqx0az.jpg

Hunter%20RFI18_zpsbp4olzkz.jpg

Hunter%20RFI16_zpsvvxk2ad5.jpg

Hunter%20RFI21_zpssbioikej.jpg

Hunter%20RFI17_zpsqu4okhsm.jpg

Hunter%20RFI4_zpsi8kmdumr.jpg

Hunter%20RFI2_zpsjeustioi.jpg

Hunter%20RFI_zpslups0rax.jpg

Hunter%20RFI3_zps9hmp77wy.jpg

Hunter%20RFI13_zpsby6clnlt.jpg

Hunter%20RFI235_zpsy6fif3m2.jpg

Hunter%20RFI2367_zpszyo1zmz3.jpg

Hunter%20RFI236_zpsfmdv9srx.jpg

Hunter%20RFI9_zpsg28oqfum.jpg

Hunter%20RFI234_zpsnl7qqron.jpg

Hunter%20RFI23_zpscr0e2a1u.jpg

Hunter%20RFI7_zpswykeqf5k.jpg

What-if Face Off:

Hunter%20Face%20off1_zpshzrn1tbm.jpg

• Like 46

A stunning work! My congratulations! I especially like the look of NMF underside. :thumbsup:

I built Revell's F.6 some time ago - and I can confirm your comments about the fit - all is very nice except for tricky wing joint. I assembled mine OOB - and I can confirm that it's absolutely fine looking model even without intakes.

Just a thought - for any future releases of the Hunter (Airfix?) - is it a good idea to split the fuselage horizontally? This may allow for easier intake installment and no nasty seam as wing joint may be shifted further to the place where flat part of the wing starts (hope it's clear what I mean).

• Like 1

The Hunter is my favourite British fighter jet...........

......please enjoy..........

One of my favourites too (the FGA 9 if were being really-really picky). To be a Hunter pilot in its heyday was to be a blessed man.

As to enjoyment. Sad to see the end of one of my favourite build threads. But glad to get the RFI and see her in all her beauty......

Bravissimo Tom :)

• Like 1

Hello,Tomoshenko - Congratulations on a superb build of your Hunter.The level of detail,quality of finish and effort put in are a true reflection of your love of the subject.One Halcyon Hunter!All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind compliments one and all.

A stunning work! My congratulations! I especially like the look of NMF underside. :thumbsup:

I built Revell's F.6 some time ago - and I can confirm your comments about the fit - all is very nice except for tricky wing joint. I assembled mine OOB - and I can confirm that it's absolutely fine looking model even without intakes.

Just a thought - for any future releases of the Hunter (Airfix?) - is it a good idea to split the fuselage horizontally? This may allow for easier intake installment and no nasty seam as wing joint may be shifted further to the place where flat part of the wing starts (hope it's clear what I mean).

That would be a solution. They could perhaps downscale the 1/32 or 1/48 assemblies if possible, which seem to be better for the intakes. I do have the Hobby Boss 1/72 Seahawk in my stash and that has a horizontal split fuselage (front section), and that looks to be the way round the problem.

One of my favourites too (the FGA 9 if were being really-really picky). To be a Hunter pilot in its heyday was to be a blessed man.

As to enjoyment. Sad to see the end of one of my favourite build threads. But glad to get the RFI and see her in all her beauty......

Bravissimo Tom :)

Glad you enjoyed it. I will be back in the near future with another WIP when I can figure out what to build next. I can understand your preference for the FGA 9 given its ground attack role. I intend to build an one (in flight with a menacing payload) at some point, but welcome a change for the time being :thumbsup2: