Airfix 1:72 Bristol Beaufighter TF.X

FZ6

Great work the PE looks really nice in those wheel wells.

Thanks it really does make a difference.

Here is a pic of the difference the Eduard etch makes to the undercarriage bay doors. Unfortunately there is a large ejector pin mark to fill on each door.

21128595459_6df39eb830_b.jpg

Airfix 1:72 Bristol Beaufighter by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

I notice that you've attached the cockpit's side consoles to the cockpit floor. The instructions would have you attach them to the fuselage sides. Your way looks like it might be easier for painting their top sides (called out as black rather than interior green in the instructions). Does it look like everything will come together without hitches when they're assembled in this order? It looks like there may be some locating tabs on the fuselage sides that might interfere if they're not removed, depending on how everything comes together.

Yes I deviated from the instructions. I ended up doing this after filling in the wing roots inside the fuselage before I reailised that the consoles fitted over them. I thought it would be more difficult to get the consoles square after I'd done this so I decided to glue them to the cockpit floor instead and with plenty of test fitting to line them up it works fine.

21020049846_522814d517_b.jpg

If the wing root is filled you do have to modify the console as can be see in the pic below when compared to the original kit part.

21128595009_27822643bc_b.jpg

Once dry fitted it looks fine.

21323683531_e54be53423_b.jpg

Nice job so far, I especially like the opened crew doors! Keep up the great work,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony I'm pleased with how it worked out but the ladder was frustrating.

Mine arrived yesterday, so I'll be following this closely. I'll do it as an Aussie one, but whether UK-based (i.e. straight from the box) or SWPA (modified to a Mk 21) I haven't yet decided.

I fancy doing an Aussie Mk.21 at some point maybe I have a Frog Beaufighter I can copy for the Sperry Autopilot bulge on the nose. However my next Beaufighter is either going to be backdated to a MK.I or even a MK.II if I can rob a Lancaster of it's nacelles......

This morning I tried out the dry fitted Beaufighter on one of the corner shelves I got from B&Q I think they are a nice shape for displaying Aircraft however i may get the next shelf size up for this model.

21323683161_569a9dc8a1_b.jpg

The Figure is the remaining crewman from my Gunthwaite Miniatures Swordfish crew set. He certainly looks the part.

20692791404_6d9cdf76b0_b.jpg

Here is the corner shelf and other two figures as used on my Defiant. I still need to post some pics in RFI for this model.

16345762989_a4d9b4a43a_b.jpg

Defiant Completed 01 by Mark Maclean, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and I hope to get some more cockpit detailing done over the weekend.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 4

Nice work on what looks to be an excellent kit .. make me a little sad to think that this 72nd kit is SIGNIFICANTLY more detailed than 32nd Revell model I have gathering dust on my shelf.. ah well I live in hope!

Thanks, I'm enjoying it so far. By the way I have the Revell 1:32 Beaufighter and this kit is more detailed. In fact some of the detail will inspire my 1:32 kit when I build it.