f-16 Non-MCID mouth question

yeehah1

29 08 2015

Hi guys

A quick F-16 question.

I'm going to build the F-16 featured on Two-bobs F-16C 'Cripes-A-Mighty' sheet (48-129).

The sheet states that this particular F16 has a non-MCID mouth (big mouth) but has a GE engine.

I am planning on using the Academy F-16A/C kit for this and with that in mind, I have also bought the Aires 4431 engine set for the GE engine required and also an F-16C resin cockpit. What I am not sure of is does the Academy kit have the non-MCID mouth in it or do I need to source it from somewhere else? If I need to get it from somewhere else, where might I find it?

Thanks in advance

Liam

ps, I'll be using a Hasegawa 1/48 Mustang to make the p51d version of Cripes-A-Mighty III :) and will then display the two as a pair :)

I've buildt the Academy Viper, and it's a dog but in the right hands can be made into a Nice model. The inlet you are looking for is the correct one though once you Source the GE engine which you have :)

I've buildt the Academy Viper, and it's a dog but in the right hands can be made into a Nice model. The inlet you are looking for is the correct one though once you Source the GE engine which you have :)

30 08 2015

Hi Boman

Are you saying that the large non-MCID mouth is the one included in the Academy box?

Liam

The Academy kit has the NSI intake, that's the one you need.

31 08 2015

Excellent. The way it was worded on the sheet seemed to imply the larger intake but I was kind of thinking why would they remark on the MCID inlet coupled with the GE engine when that would typically be the arrangement anyway?

Five years of University brought to bear! Hah. So, I have what I need then: small NSI intake and GE engine (resin). Mind you, might have been much clearer if Two-Bobs had said that in the first place :)

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Liam

F-16C 86-0262 was the first of the Blk30 GE engined a/c to have the MCID intake fitted.

31 08 2015

Hey scotthldr

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it. I don't remember where I got the info from but I have written on the sheet 'Bu 86-0244'

Heh.

Cheers

Liam

31 08 2015

Hey scotthldr

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it. I don't remember where I got the info from but I have written on the sheet 'Bu 86-0244'

Heh.

Cheers

Liam

Seems like you're on your way then! Just a heads up - US Navy uses Bureau Numbers (BuNo) and the USAF uses serial numbers. I understand the first two numbers stand for the financial year of the aircraft, so yours would be a 1986 Falcon.

Apparently the Tamiya 1/48 F-16C/N has the best cross section of small and big mouth intakes, engines etc.

"Cripes a Mighty" is an NSI (small) mouth intake and GE Engine mix which is very odd. It's an F-16C Block 30c.

MCID = Modular common inlet duct (big mouth)

NSI = Normal shock inlet (small mouth)

The Block 30 had two new chaff/flare boxes added from 1987 BUT yours is a 1986 block 30 (denoted by the 86 prefix, so the a/c you're doing only had the original 2 in total at the bottom of the airframe.

It also had lightweight MLG so it had the landing lights on the gear legs themselves not on the NLG door.

Depending on whether you want to place fuel / pods on the wing pylons, you should try and source a PIDS pylon.

Also, please check your references for this a/c as it may have had RAM panels added to the nose section just aft of the Radar but forward of the RHAW gear.

It certainly had RAM panels just aft of the wing roots and forward of the horizontal stabs on the "vertical" surfaces of the fuselage. "" because the sides were not quite vertical but at an anhedral angle.

Last technical note from me, the first set of fulcrum "fingers" on the inboard slat hinges should be 2 not 3 as frequently modelled. This was changed with the block 40 to 3.

The top of the wings should have two strengthening plates near the wing root and there should also be two strengthening plates at the rear of the uppermost fuselage by the front of the tail fin.

Hope this helps. At least you can Google some of the stuff I have written. :)

Edited by Freedom Models Martin