New T-33 Kit? Duxford machine being measured up using Lasers!

tonyot

Hiya Folks,

I was at Duxford on Thursday and noticed that a bunch of engineers from elsewhere were measuring up the museums T-33 using lasers. There were no company logos on their clothing but I got the impression that they were foreign, ie not from Airfix and definitely from a model company,.....hope this snippet helps,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 6

I doubt that Airfix, or Hornby, invested in those Lidar things themselves, and just hire a company to do the scanning for them.

If they were from another modelling company, why would they come to Duxford for a T-33? They are not exactly rare, just about every NATO country, and more, flew them and have one or two in a museum.

Then again, the company that does it for a certain UK based modelling brand, might als be doing it for a certain Italy based brand, or German, or Korean...

Whatever comes out of it, I won't mind a new T-33 kit in 1/48 :bounce:

Edited by Creepy Pete
  • Like 2

Hiya Folks,

I was at Duxford on Thursday and noticed that a bunch of engineers from elsewhere were measuring up the museums T-33 using lasers. There were no company logos on their clothing but I got the impression that they were foreign, ie not from Airfix and definitely from a model company,.....hope this snippet helps,

Cheers

Tony

Tony you tease!

Whatever comes out of it, I won't mind a new T-33 kit in 1/48 :bounce:

Whilst we need an accurate one in 1/48th we really need one in 1/72nd first!

Here's hoping for an accurate, readily available and affordable mainstream T-33 - just think of all those gorgeous colour schemes!

Fingers crossed

Wez

Whilst we need an accurate one in 1/48th we really need one in 1/72nd first!

Here's hoping for an accurate, readily available and affordable mainstream T-33 - just think of all those gorgeous colour schemes!

Fingers crossed

Wez

I am with you a mainstream T-33 in 1/72 is sorely needed

Cheers

Paolo

Well spotted Tony. Always good to hear of something going on in the industry. Now can someone push them in the direction of the Sycamre????

Colin

Edited by heloman1
  • Like 2

I am with you a mainstream T-33 in 1/72 is sorely needed

???

1/72nd - Platz - 2012 | Initial release - new tool !

http://www.platz-hobby.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=T-33

Reviews in your favourite forum:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961575-t-33-jasdf-hamamatsu-ab-172-platz

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234922311-t-33-usaf-spirit-of-76

And here

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/kits/platzac6reviewmd_1.htm

http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/reviews/kits/platzac8reviewmd_1.htm

ac-14.jpg PLATZ 1/72 JASDF T-33 w/engine
【NEW】 Plastic model kit CODE:4545782024814
2,808JPY

AC-11.jpg PLATZ 1/72 JASDF T-33 HAMAMATSU

【NEW】 Plastic model kit CODE:4545782018349
2,376JPY

AC-8.jpg PLATZ 1/72 T-33 USAF

【NEW】 Plastic model kit
2,376JPY

AC-6.jpg platz 1/72 T-33 Shooting star

【NEW】 Plastic model kit
2,376JPY

M72-23.jpg PLATZ1/72 T-33 Etching

【NEW】
1,512JPY

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

Beat me to it. It will take some serious doing to better the Platz kit.

The 1/72 Sword kits from a few years before are also well regarded. The multi media aspect may not be to everyone's taste and there are a couple of construction quirks to be watchful of, but they still build into solid replicas of the subject.

1/72 is taken care of as far as the T-33 goes. It's in 1/48 where it needs help.

Beat me to it. It will take some serious doing to better the Platz kit.

The 1/72 Sword kits from a few years before are also well regarded. The multi media aspect may not be to everyone's taste and there are a couple of construction quirks to be watchful of, but they still build into solid replicas of the subject.

1/72 is taken care of as far as the T-33 goes. It's in 1/48 where it needs help.

To counter the argument, 1/72nd scale modellers would say you have the Academy kit in 1/48th, but 1/48th modellers point out it has errors.

I've in the past made the Hasegawa, Heller and gave up on the Sword kit. The Platz kit is out of my price range.

1/72nd modellers still need an accurate and affordable and readily available T-33, as do 1/48th modellers.

I build in both scales. Can we just agree that a mainstream and easily obtainable T-33 is required in both scales?

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

I would say that P-80 in 1/72 would be even more tempting since Sword is the only game in town, while for T-33 there is also a really perfect Platz kit.

Is it perfect? Is it readily available (which it would be if it came from a player like Airfix or Revell)? Is it affordable (which it would be if it came from a player like Airfix or Revell)?

That said, we could also do with a modern tooled F-80 from a mainstream player in 1/72nd.

Wez

Is it perfect? Is it readily available (which it would be if it came from a player like Airfix or Revell)? Is it affordable (which it would be if it came from a player like Airfix or Revell)?

That said, we could also do with a modern tooled F-80 from a mainstream player in 1/72nd.

Wez

Yes, yes and yes. OK it's not perfect but it's very good and a damn sight better than anything you'll see from Revell or Airfix. It's freely available to anyone with a browser and can currently be had from Japan for £20 including shipping which puts in the same ball park as the Airfix Swift and Beaufighter.

Do remember die-cast companies also use scanning... May be a ready made one!

All sorts of companies are using it now. Revell used it on their new C-54 and Tan Model have been scanning all sorts of things apparently.

But what gave you the impression they were foreign? - Language? Was it a Lockheed T-Bird or a Canadair - there are differences.....

and could they do more than one aircraft in the day. What else may have been ready to tow into the scanning spot?

PM

...and can currently be had from Japan for £20 including shipping which puts in the same ball park as the Airfix Swift and Beaufighter.

Over £15 therefore add VAT and £8 charge. That makes it a bit more than a Swift or Beaufighter. If it is Platz, then I'm sure it's excellent, and will fit beautifully. But certainly expensive.

Wez

Oh but Platz make gorgeous kits! I've built a small stash of T-33s, all ordered from HLJ for around 1760 yen/ 13 euros each, about as expensive as an Airfix kit of the same class would be, possibly even slightly less, but better (harder) plastic, nice detail and supplied with the best decal sheet you could wish for in a kit. I love 'em!

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

The name Tan- Model rings a bell now, so it might have been them I saw? Sort of thought that it was a foreign sounding name but I`d never heard of it before,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Really the only problem I see with Platz's T-33 kits is their limited availability in Europe, something that is easily sorted by any modeller not afraid of ordering directly from Japan.

It would make sense if Tanmodel were scanning such a type, the T-33 was heavily used in Turkey (although I'd have expected them to find one in their country). Didn't Tanmodel also announced a new Buccaneer ? Wonder if they took advantage of their trip to Britain to scan one of these too...

I had a closer look at Platz T-33 kits and comparison to the Sword offering. It does look as a gorgeous kit.

One vivid drawback is simplified undercarriage and air brake bays. In P-80/T-33/F-94 series there is a web of piping and wiring in the niches. Sword gives us resin parts for it. Although their resin is also quite far from original.

It would be interesting to see this area in a new 1/72 T-33.

Edited by Dennis_C