Arado Ar 234 P5 Nightfighter update ### Finished 30-10-2015 ###

Arniec

Hi Guys,

After some decicions about the Dornier Do-17D(utch). I am now starting a new build.
This will be Revell/Hasegawa Arado 234 C3 converted into a P5 Nightfighter.
Thanxs to Rich I am now have a nose conversion for the P5. And I will be using it on this build.

I will put later on some pictures of the box content.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Here are the pictures of the box content.

IMG_2459_zps65daezhn.jpg

IMG_2460_zpsar6iitsx.jpg

IMG_2461_zpswbpfqadj.jpg

And this is a sprue with the extra radar operator station on it. This is from the Hasegawa Arado Ar 234 B2/N kit.

IMG_2462_zpsgixiv8go.jpg

And here are some extra goodies. I don't know it there will be much used from the CMK detail kit. Maybee some parts for one of the fuel tanks.

IMG_2464_zpsxatdmfdv.jpg

IMG_2463_zpsvm38eedq.jpg

and some aftermarket decals.

IMG_2465_zps1onuipl4.jpg

And Finaly the resin nose conversion that my Aussie friend Rich sended me. :thumbsup:

IMG_2467_zpsfek8zksc.jpg

O, and these BMW engines with rocketboosters are in the box as well. I am still not sure if I will use them for this build.

IMG_2466_zpsswn7ajd6.jpg

That's all for now.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Gosh I think I have most of those same bits floating in my unbuilt Arado boxes as well!

Didn't yon mention that the Revell model is basically a re-boxed Hasegawa version?? If so I might have to get a couple as they'll be cheaper than what the Hasegawa ones are at the moment!

Of cause I will be following this one with special interest! :popcorn:

• Like 1

Gosh I think I have most of those same bits floating in my unbuilt Arado boxes as well!

Didn't yon mention that the Revell model is basically a re-boxed Hasegawa version?? If so I might have to get a couple as they'll be cheaper than what the Hasegawa ones are at the moment!

Of cause I will be following this one with special interest! :popcorn:

Thanxs Rich.

If I am not mistaken than there was a partnership with Hasegawa for this model.

Revell have brought out the C3 version and the B2/N nightfighter.

Here are the two kits I am talking about.

http://www.kitreview.com/kitreviews/ar234creviewbg_1.htm

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/102280-revell-04505-ar-234-b-2-n-nachtigall

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

I actually found out the same thing after I posted, though they arn't much cheaper!

I think that depends on where you live. I live near Germany so very close to Revell.

The Arado's I bought were for about 15 to 20 euro (23 to 30 AUD) a piece and are still available for this price at some shows.

Hasegawa kits are very expensive here 50 to 60 euro.

Cheers,

I have made a start on the build. The first thing done were the wheelbays. Because these have to be placed before everything is closed up (much later in the build). Also they need to be glued very tight so they can't come lose later on in the build.

I also have made a start on the cockpit. I think I was a little bit to eager to put my saw in the model and might have taken a little bit to much off. But that is of a concern later. I also gave the resin nose job (Again Thanxs Rich) a good coat of Mr surfacer 500. This will later be sanded back to fill the tigny wholes in the cast.

I have made a few pictures on the way, but still need to put them online. I hope I can do that tomorrow.

Cheers,

Here are some pictures of what has been done lately.

The cockpit with some sidewall already removed.

IMG_2474_zpsiyeih4x4.jpg

Here is the nose with a good coat of mr surfacer 500.

IMG_2473_zpszzfqsr0q.jpg

and after sanding it down. Now you can see some small dots left. these were small airbubbles. but everything sorted now.

IMG_2476_zpscz31qm2h.jpg

It looks worse than it is.

Here is the progress of removing a part of the resin to get a better look. as you can see I needed to remove quite a bit with my trusted Dremel tool, but it looks great now. Always use a mask when you are sanding and drilling Resin like I did.

IMG_2477_zps0notyozm.jpg

IMG_2478_zpsbtggv0vp.jpg

And this is the result with the dry-fitting.

IMG_2479_zpsfdx5nrpn.jpg

It isn't properly lined up jet, but the fit is close.

Here is a picture of one of the wheelbays. I have placed a extra piece of round plastic on the underside of the leg to give it more strength and to hold the leg in place.I just noticed that this was a picture before putting the strenghtners in.

IMG_2475_zpssrkkmgle.jpg

That is it for now.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 2

Hi guys,

Some more work done the last few days.

I have started with glueing the nose to the cockpit. The seam still needs to be cleaned up a bit, but it was a very good fit. so not much work there.

IMG_2482_zpsjwjarzyk.jpg

This needed to have a good drying time so I worked on the wings and engines.

Here there is a picture of some dry fitting. The wings and engine nacelles are glued ( not together). The engines have a modification so I can later place the exhausts after painting. That will make it a little bit easier.

IMG_2483_zps15syshov.jpg

IMG_2484_zps1in7brxf.jpg

As you can see in the second picture there are the exhaust (partialy) placed.

This part is removed and will be placed back after everything is painted and in place. I placed two tabs for better placement later on.

IMG_2485_zpsmct1fgcx.jpg

I removed it with a Tiger misro saw.

I also made two gun tubes for the schräge Muzik armament of two MK108 30 MM guns. Here are two pictures.

IMG_2480_zpsf89yi0d4.jpg

IMG_2481_zps4ikoic1q.jpg

And this is a picture of the dry fitting of the model how she will look like.

IMG_2486_zpsmigp9ra9.jpg

Sorry about the crappy pictures. I made them in a hurry.

The first thing to do next is to paint the rear cockpit and the wheelbays so I can close the fuselage and add the nose section. After that it will be quite easy.

That is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 3

looking good Arnold, its nice to see how she looks with just the normal wings on. You nearly have as much resin dust on your bench as I have!

The hardest thing I found with these models is painting between the engines or clearing up the joins for that matter. The fuselage/wing or wing/engine joins are not the best so you can't really fit them after painting...which would be the ideal way to do it.

I'm interested to see what colour scheme you choose.

Oh and I have a Ta154 on the way, so I think you can guess what my next project maybe?

• Like 1

Thanxs Rich. With the dryfitting all seems well.

I will see how it will work out with the painting.

I have build one 14 years ago and found no big problems.

And next time I will use a vacuum cleaner right besides the dremel.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Finally some more pictures of what has been done lately. I have painted the radar operator pit and also the wheelbays. These were given a wash and also sme dry brushing. And finally also done some detail painting.

Here are the pictures.

Wheelbays after a coat of RLM02 (Tamiya).

IMG_2496_zpsxw454xfb.jpg

and here after the wash and some dry brushing.

IMG_2501_zps1s1fodwc.jpg

and putted into the fuselage half with some clamping.

IMG_2500_zpssuwmutca.jpg

Here is the radar operator pit after a coat of RLM66 (Tamiya)

IMG_2498_zps9rkq4ssm.jpg

and the radio/radar boxes.

IMG_2499_zpsjyd5gnbb.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the backseat pit before closing the fuselage. sorry for that.

But here are some after the fuselage was closed.

IMG_2503_zpsxwdeyvqy.jpg

IMG_2504_zpsojwzu4oo.jpg

And a picture after I also painted the nose section to look if the seams were properly done.

IMG_2497_zpsjcurwvid.jpg

And a picture of how the fuselage looks now.(The glasing is still just a lose fit. Nose is attached)

IMG_2502_zps1ygdw3eh.jpg

Today I have also been doing some painting of the engine inlets and the exhaust area.First I painted them black and the inlet with the inlet cone were painted with some Gunze chrome paint. It isn't to shiny, but good enough ( I think.)

Again here are some pictures.

exhausts.

IMG_2507_zps7hhgssej.jpg

IMG_2505_zpsanm9conm.jpg

And the inlets.

IMG_2508_zpsto6rj93s.jpg

IMG_2506_zpskj8ym67f.jpg

It is a little difficult to see, but they are looking good.

Tomorrow I have a model day and will take the model with me so I can clean up all the seams. Hopefully some more pictures Sunday.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Thanks Mottlemaster and Rich.

I have also decidded what I will do with the camouflage. This will be in the late style of RLM76 with RLM75 mottle and the underside in black.

From what NJG it will be is still a thought, but probably from NJG 3 stab. Still have to take a closer look in my decalstash.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Here are some pictures of what has been done this weekend and today.

The weekend was mostly used to get rid of all the seams on the wings and fuselage.

Today I have done the engine pods and put them on the wing and when dry I put the wing on the fuselage with no fuss.

Here are a few pictures when the wing is clamped and glued to the fuselage.

IMG_2509_zpsxuenfzlh.jpg

The seam of the engine pod to the wings is flawless.

IMG_2510_zpsadraxpln.jpg

And on the underside it is as good as the topside. You can also see the modification I have done that I explained earlier in this build.

This was done to put the exhausts in later for ease of painting.

IMG_2511_zpsmcjhaf0z.jpg

You can also see the use of the half of a 900 Liter from a Eduard Bf-110D.

That is it for now. Hopefully I can do another update this week.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's looking really nice Arnold.

I like the idea of using the 110 drop tank........may have to steal that one for one of my up coming builds! :hmmm::whistle:

Thanxs Rich.

If you use the tank, than you need to sand a little bit from both sides. It is also possible to use it as a gun tray.with a possible armament of 2 or even 3 Mk103 Cannons or..... 2 Mk108's or .... 3 Mk151/20. etc.

I am still working on it, but not as much as I wanted . I have painted the cockpit in RLM66 and that now needs some detailpainting etc.

My P-51 Mustang project is now top priority for the Telford show. This one is painted and needs some decals. After that it will be easy.

I have made that one in a green/brown camo with the underside in yellow.

This scheme will be one from Boscomb Down test facilities.

When I finish it I will place a picture here.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1