1/72 B-17G Airfix, Released. New boxing Fortress MK.III also released. New B-17G boxing for 2021

sofiane1718

Here it is:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/5889

I think it's good news!

Fortress2Alteredw.jpg

ImageA3.jpg

Fortress4.jpg

Arguably the most visible manifestation of American military might in the Second World War was the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress four engine bomber. Operating in massed formations, these distinctive aircraft were designed to conduct daylight precision bombing missions, against strategic enemy targets, with the ultimate aim of literally pounding them into submission. As its name suggests, the Flying Fortress was bristling with defensive armament and it was intended that formations of B-17s could throw so much lead into the air that any attacking enemy aircraft would either be shot down, or simply fly away from their certain demise – although this thinking did not actually materialise in combat, it did help to give the B-17 a fearsome reputation.

Without doubt, the definitive version of the Flying Fortress was the B-17G and this last mass-produced version of the aircraft was manufactured in more numbers than all previous versions combined – the B-17G was a magnificent fighting aeroplane. Addressing all the shortcomings of the previous combat variants, the B-17G incorporated a number of significant improvements, specifically around the placement and upgrading of defensive armament. The combat experiences of crews flying the earlier versions of the B-17 were crucial in producing this definitive US heavy bomber.

If you have read previous editions of Workbench, you already know how important the research aspect of any new model project actually is and we will not be going over the same ground in each new blog, but as you would expect, an aircraft as iconic as the B-17G Flying Fortress needed significant research preparation. Once the decision to produce the B-17G had been taken, a research trip to the Imperial War Museum Duxford was arranged, where a restored Flying Fortress is available for detailed inspection.

Boeing B-17G 23-1983 ‘Mary Alice’ is displayed in the magnificent American Air Museum at Duxford and is an excellent example of the B-17 Flying Fortress. At the current time, the American Air Museum is undergoing significant renovation work and there is the opportunity to see some of the aircraft usually housed here, in unique locations around the airfield. Of great interest to the Airfix team, ‘Mary Alice’ can currently be seen with the turret cover of the Bendix nose gun removed, allowing a really interesting detailed view of the gun unit itself. The opportunity to view this aircraft at Duxford allowed the Airfix team to obtain detailed photographic references for inclusion in the research files.

As an American aviation classic and one of the most famous aircraft of WWII, it was critical that the right information should be obtained for a late model Boeing B-17G, which incorporated all the armament improvements associated with this late war version of the aircraft. The Airfix research team approached the Smithsonian Institute in the hope of gaining access to technical drawings and official Boeing information, which thankfully they kindly provided. All this information was incorporated into the research files, which by this time contained a huge amount of highly detailed information on the subject aircraft for the Airfix design team to access.

All this data was then converted into a series of digital files, to form the basis of this new model project. Information from technical drawings was used directly as trace sketches, from which a base model file could be created. Co-ordinates from the B-17’s fuselage and wings were plotted on this base model, which was then be used as a template from which each individual part was developed. This was where the expertise of the Airfix designers came to the fore, as they now prepared these individual parts for manufacture, incorporating all the tolerances and manufacturing peculiarities specific to the plastic injection moulding industry.

During this stage of the process, much of the work done on the computer is absolutely fascinating and if you were lucky enough to be looking over the shoulders of the design engineers you would see a Boeing B-17G in various stages of deconstruction. Each and every part of the scaled down aircraft is worked on in extreme detail, with a view to producing the most accurate model possible. Some of the files will show what appears to be a ‘sliced open’ aircraft fuselage, which allows all the internal details to be viewed – again, the amount of detail incorporated here is extremely impressive and fascinating for the modeller, or aviation enthusiast to see.

This series of 3D renders illustrates some of the impressive detail that will be incorporated into this fantastic new model.

Even though we are announcing the future release of this magnificent model today, it is still quite early in the production process and we will not be seeing the new model released for sale until the final quarter of 2016. Look out for further news on the development of the B-17G in future editions of Workbench

The new model will be completed as a late model B-17G and will include the significant modifications associated with this version of the aircraft. The kit will feature the Bendix chin turret, staggered nose and waist gunner’s positions, with the waist guns also benefitting from enclosed windows. During combat in earlier versions of the B-17, the waist gunners could often obstruct each other, as the gun positions were on opposite sides of the fuselage and they were fighting back-to-back, so staggering the gun positions certainly made operational sense.

The addition of the waist-gun windows would certainly have made the endeavours of the waist gunners a little less arduous and the general comfort of the crew a little more bearable. The final improvement was the addition of the ‘Cheyenne tail’, which was a much more capable defensive tail turret unit – this also had a very different profile from the previous ‘Stinger’ unit of the earlier B-17 versions and is extremely distinctive.

There is no doubting that this new B-17G tooling will be one of the most popular models in the entire Airfix range and many people will be very much looking forward to its arrival next year.

Edited by sofiane1718
  • Like 2

Wonder if they can do a full 1 1/2 ton truck version from the M-6 base tooling?

Paul Harrison

This should be good. Where is the mention of two version, I can only see the "late war" version? Of course it would be a waste not to do an early G and some F's :)

Anyway want to buy a Revell B-17? :ninja:

Edited by Tbolt

Ooh, I bet Tom will be pleased! Wonder how they will do the skin with this new technology they are using...

I'm sure the skin will be simplified and the standard recessed lines, though obviously I'd rather it wasn't but it would be difficult to get a good, to scale lap joint in 1/72.

Edited by Tbolt

Here it is:

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/5889/

Two versions of the G announced.

I think it's good news!

Where do you see reference to two different versions?

All I can see is:

"The new model will be completed as a late model B-17G and will include the significant modifications associated with this version of the aircraft."

Thanks in advance.

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

Noooo....another B-17 in BAD scale. We have Academy and Revell in 1/72 - and 1/32 from HK and in 1/48 still 30years old Monogram.... Why ?!!! Quarter scale was better choice as 1/72 :/ I like Fortress but i desperate need a new 1/48 kit :( :/

Unfortunatelly, i hope still in new tool US heavies (B-52 and B-2, maybe B-1) - Monogram B - 52 is too old, B-52G/H from AMT have many errors and B-1 (from "Fix" and Revell) are prototype/early config. models...) Especially B-2 was been nice :( (Testors is too old and have complicated construction...)

• Like 1

Noooo....another B-17 in BAD scale. We have Academy and Revell in 1/72 - and 1/32 from HK and in 1/48 still 30years old Monogram.... Why ?!!! Quarter scale was better choice as 1/72 :/ I like Fortress but i desperate need a new 1/48 kit :( :/

Unfortunatelly, i hope still in new tool US heavies (B-52 and B-2, maybe B-1) - Monogram B - 52 is too old, B-52G/H from AMT have many errors and B-1 (from "Fix" and Revell) are prototype/early config. models...) Especially B-2 was been nice :( (Testors is too old and have complicated construction...)

Why? because Tamiya are still working on it! You want it to be good and have lap joints, don't you? ;)

Edited by Tbolt

All I can see is:

"The new model will be completed as a late model B-17G and will include the significant modifications associated with this version of the aircraft."

Yes, I also see only one version:

1:72 Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (A08017)

Phew... Fortunately my wallet is secure in this case. I've got an Academy B-17F assembled on the shelf. Actually that was the last model I assembled straight from the box and brush painted :suicide: Maybe I'll give it a new life up to higher standards someday. But no more Flying Fortresses for now :bleh:

BTW I agree that's quite a strange selection for Airfix, as there are quite good options from Academy (pretty simplistic though) and from Revell.

I think it's worth Airfix taking the risk. The B-17 is kinda a "nostalgic" model for Airfix, I can remember the dramatic box art of the original "horrible" kit. A Bit o' Lace with that nose art, one engine out and turret guns blazing trying to keep the 190's at bay ;) I would agree the Revell version is excellent but there may still be a market for Airfix. As for Academy, it does suffer from a noticeable excessive angle of dihedral. Admittedly I have one in the stash won at a cheap bid on ebay.

Tbolt, on 28 Aug 2015 - 3:52 PM, said:

This should be good. Where is the mention of two version, I can only see the "late war" version? Of course it would be a waste not to do an early G and some F's :)

Anyway want to buy a Revell B-17? :ninja:

Where do you see reference to two different versions?

All I can see is:

Thanks in advance.

Jorge.

Yes, I also see only one version:

1:72 Boeing B-17G Flying Fortress (A08017)

Sorry :banghead:

I don't think it'll be much of a risk. The B-17 is one of those subjects that's always gonna sell. If their other recent releases are anything to go by, then it's more than likely that the new Fort from Airfix will turn out to be the best kit of the subject in this scale.

I had both the F & the G kits from Revell. I ended up selling them both on. The surface detail is just way over the top and the clear parts are total pants.

Hopefully, it looks like Airfix are going to update all their old stuff, so maybe a Halifax, liberator is on the cards and the Stirling, etc. I think we have to understand although the B17 is produced by other companies such as Revell, it doesn't help Airfix's coffers. so well done Airfix

I think a better was focusing to "home" airplanes - Hawker Hart/Fury (especially in quarter scale), Hampden (both scale - 1/48 and 1/72), Skua, Roc etc. etc...and modern aircraft and helicopters (Hind).... I think very possible is B-29 ("Fix" have old mould - too with iconic boxart, and later flying in UK as Washington) and very interested are(IMHO) soviet aircrafts.... (Many kits on market are short run...)... MIG 19 "Farmer" was good choice, Yak-1 and 9, Pe-2, Il-4 (This is really beautiful aircraft, and only kit on market was ancient and ugly Zvezda kit. Revell make in history a Il-4 from VEB Plasticard, but he never re-released in last two decades....) Oh, and Lysander or U-2 (US Spyplane, not Kukuruznik) was too welcomed choice.... And natural Victor and Vulcan - both new tool.... Yes, B-17 is very popular but in small scale we have enough B-17 and B-24. (My little dream was B-32 "Dominator" - this was a four Musketeer, used in combat and was big and bad and beauty....) But Fortress was a potential hit.... for long time. Every know B-17...

Shouldn't we have a dedicated tread about the 1/72 USAAF resupply set from Airfix?

After all, unlike the B-17 Flying Fortress, the Autocar U-7144 truck with fuel trailer and the M6 bomb service truck have never been kitted in 1/72, as far as I know...

Shouldn't we have a dedicated tread about the 1/72 USAAF resupply set from Airfix?...

Sounds like a great idea - so what's stopping you?

I'm not a vehicle nut, however do like the look of this set..

Cheers.. Dave.

good choice, masses can moan (why I don't know) about the fact academy already have good one and the revell is decent enough, makes airfix no money and I bet this will sell in the bucket load like the lancaster has. One question not beign an expert, surely given airfixs form they won't just release a G versions, surely like the lanc we'll see an F boxing? are is there some differences that would make duality a problem, is the chin turret the issue?