1/72 B-17G Airfix, Released. New boxing Fortress MK.III also released. New B-17G boxing for 2021

sofiane1718

Thank Airfix really we need good and accurately 1/72 B17G

Revell may withdraw its strange proxy Whoever put to put.

I hope to come onto the market decals for the area 15Af. Italy.

I will not buy just one

The latest Airfix kits have one thing in common, they just look so convincingly accurate proportion and shapewise.

That's why I will buy every new tool kit in all boxing versions they are releasing and with the smaller kits even multiples..

That's just me ...

• Like 1

. One question not beign an expert, surely given airfixs form they won't just release a G versions, surely like the lanc we'll see an F boxing? are is there some differences that would make duality a problem, is the chin turret the issue?

As they state, the staggered side gun positions are distinctive. As for other detail differences, that rather depends how precise they are (or want to be) with different production blocks and the kit breakdown. Is it coming with a Cheyenne tail or an earlier one? or both?

Oh didn't someone predict the B-17 because Airfix had done the Lancaster and the HE111? Oh yes it was me wasn't it!! On a small footnote before you all stomp on my ego I never saw the vehicles coming but that is a genius move and will most likely sell all over the planet

• Like 1

good choice, masses can moan (why I don't know) about the fact academy already have good one and the revell is decent enough, makes airfix no money and I bet this will sell in the bucket load like the lancaster has. One question not beign an expert, surely given airfixs form they won't just release a G versions, surely like the lanc we'll see an F boxing? are is there some differences that would make duality a problem, is the chin turret the issue?

Just because it makes Airfix money doesn't mean 'the masses' need to like it ;) I already have some decent Fortress kits on the shelf so this 'mass' won't be shelling out the cash for another one.

I do agree with you though that it will probably sell very well, so I'll call it a safe but uninspired choice. I forgive them because of the Whitley.

• Like 1

As they state, the staggered side gun positions are distinctive. As for other detail differences, that rather depends how precise they are (or want to be) with different production blocks and the kit breakdown. Is it coming with a Cheyenne tail or an earlier one? or both?

Cheyenne: no mention was made of any other at the Hendon presentation

Just because it makes Airfix money doesn't mean 'the masses' need to like it ;) I already have some decent Fortress kits on the shelf so this 'mass' won't be shelling out the cash for another one.

I do agree with you though that it will probably sell very well, so I'll call it a safe but uninspired choice. I forgive them because of the Whitley.

Agree with you on this. B-17s are not exactly thin on the ground and I am not personally convinced we need another one - unless maybe it was an early B/C/D version. No, I am not moaning.Just not really interested in this one. Having said that however, I believe it is a safe if underwhelming choice and, I hope it sells well. I know a lot of modellers will welcome this and, I am pleased for them.It looks like Airfix may be working through their range of WWII heavies so, perhaps we can finally look forward to a new B-24, B-29, Halifax B-III & Stirling (And Vulcan and Victor, And B-47 and, B-52.............................!!!)

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Is there no stopping Airfix these days ?. It looks like that are really wanting to take Revell head on in the quest for good quality, accurate and affordable kits. This choice obviously challenges Revell's recent offerings and unlike others, I have to say I can see why Airfix have gone for it (and the supporting cast)….I was really looking forward to the arrival of the Revell kits but felt somewhat letdown when they arrived. Sure, they are nice kits and, from what I am told, build up into nice replicas but I think Revell could have gone the extra mile and produced the definitive kit of the B-17 at the time.

I suspect, knowing their current philosophy, Airfix will go for the definitive kit of the subject and its a shrewd move. Whilst not home grown (quite obviously) the B-17 has a special place in the minds of British air and model enthusiasts, given its close association with Eastern England in particular during WWII. I'm sure that Airfix will also design it in such a way that the odd RAF, Commonwealth or Allied Coastal Command variant can be built from the kit. Sure, there are still lots of great British subjects out there (a re-tooled Vulcan simply has to be on the cards sometime soon !) but given the B-17s popularity in films, books etc I do believe it will be another winner for Airfix as they methodically work their way through their back catalogue and bring almost everything up to 21st Century standards. I cannot wait.

Oh didn't someone predict the B-17 because Airfix had done the Lancaster and the HE111? Oh yes it was me wasn't it!! On a small footnote before you all stomp on my ego I never saw the vehicles coming but that is a genius move and will most likely sell all over the planet

In that case can you predict a Barracuda, Havoc and Buccaneer please :)

• Like 1

I think it will do quite well in the UK since people are sentimental about Airfix. Outside the UK, pricing will come into it. A quick look on eBay shows the Revell sells for about 21 euros. Airfix' Lancaster, a model of similar complexity, sells for 34 euros.

Whether you are a rivet counter or not, an avid modeller or a beginner, that is a price difference that will impact sales I think.

Shouldn't we have a dedicated tread about the 1/72 USAAF resupply set from Airfix?

/quote]

You could always try this dedicated thread: http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1440778404/Airfix+USAAF+Bomber+resupply+set

Not Britmodeller, but there is a world out there.

Edited by Graham Boak

I saw the vehicles coming just not the B-17, in hindsight though the two are inseparable. It is a big big shame the Bomber Supply set doesn't have a Cetrac though.

• Like 1

In that case can you predict a Barracuda, Havoc and Buccaneer please :)

And a 1/72 VC-10, Vulcan B1/B1A, Victor B1/B2, Scimitar,Spey Phantom, B-47/B-52/earlier mark Javelins and anything jet powered by MiG ,,Sukhoi, Yakovlev, Tupolev........................................!!!!!!

Allan

• Like 1

And a 1/72 VC-10, Vulcan B1/B1A, Victor B1/B2, Scimitar,Spey Phantom, B-47/B-52/earlier mark Javelins and anything jet powered by MiG ,,Sukhoi, Yakovlev, Tupolev........................................!!!!!!

Allan

Going by this year I can predict that in 2017 we will get either a B29, Lincoln or Victor btw I have no insider knowledge but if you look logically every year we have had a large bomber and or star kit so a B29 would conclude the main WW2 heavies and then it's Cold War maybe we'll finally get the 1/72 Canberra b.2 I've been hoping for!!
  • Like 1

A Wellington must be on the cards, I'm not biased towards the Wellington it just seems an obvious choice for Airfix. Returning to the Airfix B-17 line of conversation, how come Airfix didn't continue with it's Academy re-box?

Because they don't really make anything from it as they buy in bagged kits and have to add their own boxing & decals, its a quick fix, but they pay for the privilege and Italeri now have more of a relationship with them.

Yes a Wellington must be on the cards sooner or later, its another of their old kits that has fallen by the wayside and had to be covered by MPM on the last release, so pretty much in the same criteria as the B-17.

Yes a Wellington must be on the cards sooner or later, its another of their old kits that has fallen by the wayside and had to be covered by MPM on the last release, so pretty much in the same criteria as the B-17.

Another reason for expecting a Wellington is that the RAF Museum's example has been to Cosford for an 'overhaul', and so much more accessible for inspection, measurement, LIDAR etc

• Like 1

Because they don't really make anything from it as they buy in bagged kits and have to add their own boxing & decals, its a quick fix, but they pay for the privilege and Italeri now have more of a relationship with them.

Perhaps they were testing the market to see how many B-17 kits they could sell with the Academy re-box?

I get the feeling Airfix sometimes release their old kits to test the market for interest.

Another reason for expecting a Wellington is that the RAF Museum's example has been to Cosford for an 'overhaul', and so much more accessible for inspection, measurement, LIDAR etc

That would be an ideal opportunity.

I get the feeling Airfix sometimes release their old kits to test the market for interest.

Then let's all start a Congo line at Margate (or wherever their shop is) and all walk out with a newly boxed/old tooled Halifax.

That might get them thinking !!

Cheers .. Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader