Tamiya 1/24 Aston Martin DBS

Hi guys,

Long time no post for me as we just bought a house and have spent the last few months renovating, so no room or time for building anything! But I just finished the Tamiya Aston Martin DBS.

I'm by no means a professional at this and there are many better than I am, but this is my fourth car and I like to think I'm getting better at it! What struck me initially was the difference in quality with the Tamiya kit compared to my other three cars (Revell). Detailing and parts are superb - this is reflected in the price of the kit (this was around 50 quid I think compared to the average Revell which is around 18). But totally worth it.

This is sort of a latter stage work in progress and finished article.

Work has begun. Putting the dining room table out of action. Girlfriend not happy.

IMAG0133_zps6vwnh6xy.jpg

The underside. Once again a credit to the Tamiya kit with the amount of detail they bother with here.

IMAG0135_zpsaub2fwqy.jpg

Interior done. Went with the stock colours as I like the nice matt finish, also went for the DSG gearbox.

IMAG0136_zps8sajojfc.jpg

IMAG0137_zpsxjw1qyaa.jpg

Couple of coats of white primer.

IMAG0138_zpshbheljrt.jpg

And on with the metallic silver. Instructions suggest black, but I just couldn't picture it!

IMAG0142_zps4crtntsu.jpg

A great tip I picked up from here ages ago, do the windscreen edges with a sharpie instead of paint and a brush. So much neater and the same effect. Also any clear red tail lights can be done with a sharpie too. I was almost suicidal when a big blob of glue fell from my (broken) glue gun straight onto the rear windshield. Some desperate googling brought me to a technique of sanding the windshield with 600 grit paper, rubbing it with toothpaste ('really?!' I thought to myself!) then coating it with floor polish. Came out great thankfully!

IMAG0143_zpsondwt3gn.jpg

Test fitting the body. Goes on alot easier than the Revell kits.

IMAG0144_zpsmpqas8nb.jpg

Nice view of the V12 lump as we near the end. Just mirrors, bonnet and decals to go on.

IMAG0146_zps5ktuvqcz.jpg

bottom view.

IMAG0147_zps3qxscwku.jpg

And here she is! Normally when I have a model whose doors and bonnet open to show all the goodness inside I just bypass it because these are NOT for playing with, so I usually glue doors and bonnets shut (did that recently with the Mercedes SLS) but I thought that the detail is too good not to go on show so I left the bonnet unglued for any viewing pleasure needed later!

IMAG0148_zpsikku2ttr.jpg

IMAG0149_zpszulwrcnu.jpg

IMAG0153_zpsnzpk2loo.jpg

IMAG0155_zpsyvwlj0gm.jpg

And up on the wall she goes with her friends.

IMAG0156_zpsry4pdq4h.jpg

Enjoyed this one, comments and criticisms always welcomed of course!

Cheers

Tom

• Like 21

Looks great, Tom. Colours are spot on, I reckon, and very neatly done. I agree that it's a fantastic kit, and one of Tamiya's very best. I'd heartily recommend the LFA as well, if you want something to add an oriental supercar touch to your shelves...

bestest,

M.

Superb Tom! I also love the collection and the way they are displayed, it reminds me of the minimalist approach to display the Porsche use in their museum.

Talking of which, how about the Porsche Carrera GT next?

• 4 years later...

Looks a very good build, but forgive me for a few observations.

It looks like there are mould lines down both front wings and rear quarters; these usually can be easily sanded off before priming.

The silver paint is excellent, but a few coats of clear on the bodyshell would have brought out a glossier finish.

This has been in my stash for quite a few years but not close to building it yet.

These things are rarer than Rocking Horse Poo!

I saw one on the bay last week offered at 90 quid. If only I had the cash!

Cheers,

Alan.

Tom,

STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL.   

:heart:

:wow:

Your Aston Martin DBS is AMAZING to look at.Very RESPLENDENT. 

FLAWLESSLY NEAT  .  Looks Perfect!

KUDOS on building a really GORGEOUS  model.

:worthy:     :worthy:      :worthy:

{ funnily enough, one of MY girlfriends was describing how she would like a Aston Martin DBS only yesterday....this is what she had in mind while she described it  !  }.

:clap: