Looks like Airshow at Middleton St George cancelled this weekend

Nigel Foster60

For the past 50+ years airshows have been safe for the public in the UK, Accidents will happen and have happened down through the years but no public have been involved thankfully, There are as about as safe and Sedate now as you can get, How safe do you need them, Taxying up and down the runway with no flying? Its nuts cancelling events.

• Like 2

I don't think it will be the end of airshows at all, but at the moment it is a very sensitive subject.

What we can be certain of is that the CAA will give the airshow regulations a thorough review and will make changes where they see fit.

If that means a limit on the nature of the displays flown by vintage aircraft then so be it, personally I'd get as much enjoyment from seeing a relatively sedate display as I would from seeing the aircraft being pushed to the limits, particularly if it means that neither the public, pilots and aircraft are put at risk.

• Like 2

Clacton went ahead as normal over water. Had the Scandinavian MiG 15 UTI and the Vulcan. Restrained flying. The Reds took up so much sky, I'm not surprised they don't go to Shoreham. Display finished with the Typhoon, lots of noise and very spirited! No Vulcan tomorrow though. VTTS stated money and spares are not a problem. BAe RR and Marshalls no longer have the manpower with relative experience to continue beyond 2015.

It's the beginning of the end for UK airshows since the crash at Shoreham :(

Can we please try to maintain some perspective?

This show has been delayed because the organisers want a better chance of offering a full display. We don't know yet if they're right but I'm sure we all hope so. To conclude from this one event that everything is now about to stop is reading far, far too much into it. There's every chance that the long-term effects of last weekend will be a lot less extreme than a lot of doomy people are saying. Parts of the media have suddenly discovered a hitherto unknown principle that aerobatics must take place over water, apparently purely because Shoreham is by the sea and without the slightest appreciation of local geography. Others have spotted a bandwagon and hopped aboard. The likes of the CAA will take a much more measured view. Wait for that, at least, before making such sweeping statements.

BAe RR and Marshalls no longer have the manpower with relative experience to continue beyond 2015.

That's what I thought too, but apparently it's "political", whatever that was meant to mean.

• Like 1

Can we please try to maintain some perspective?

This show has been delayed because the organisers want a better chance of offering a full display. We don't know yet if they're right but I'm sure we all hope so. To conclude from this one event that everything is now about to stop is reading far, far too much into it. There's every chance that the long-term effects of last weekend will be a lot less extreme than a lot of doomy people are saying. Parts of the media have suddenly discovered a hitherto unknown principle that aerobatics must take place over water, apparently purely because Shoreham is by the sea and without the slightest appreciation of local geography. Others have spotted a bandwagon and hopped aboard. The likes of the CAA will take a much more measured view. Wait for that, at least, before making such sweeping statements.

Very sensible and reasonable post. I was asked by a friend last week if I felt safe going to airshows. I confess I was rather surprised by this question from an otherwise very sensible and intelligent person. I responded that I felt as safe as people who continued to go to football matches despite the events at Ibrox, Bradford, Heysel and Sheffield. I find it strange that there seems to have been the usual media ,knee jerk response of "ban all airshows" but, I do not recall a similar call to "ban all football matches" following the deaths and injuries (numbering in the hundreds) at the four events noted previously. Until we know exactly WHAT caused the accident, there is really little point in speculating. The recently imposed restrictions are temporary and a sensible precaution pending the full enquiry. Let us please not jump to conclusions

Allan

• Like 2

For the past 50+ years airshows have been safe for the public in the UK, Accidents will happen and have happened down through the years but no public have been involved thankfully, There are as about as safe and Sedate now as you can get, How safe do you need them, Taxying up and down the runway with no flying? Its nuts cancelling events.

I agree with you,George.Any tragedy and loss of life is dreadful.However,I feel much safer at the hands of display pilots compared to the hands of the many idiot drivers on our roads.
  • Like 1