The WNW 'Post War' Brisfit

vince14

It does look very nice, but I already have one of the original releases so can I really justify another?

I shall have to see what the other options are. I quite fancy doing one with slats on the upper wing and a spare tyre slung beneath the fuselage.

I shall have to see what the other options are. I quite fancy doing one with slats on the upper wing and a spare tyre slung beneath the fuselage.

The spare tyre would mean it was a desert job, so almost certainly silver unless immediately post war. The Handley Page slots on the top wing are found on the Mark IV, along with larger empennage surfaces, extended tail skid, a message hook, and sundry other things like an extra radiator, although some of these features were also fouind on the Mk. III. Roden and Aeroclub supplied some of these in their 1/48th kits. The blurb on the WNW site says 19 new parts including fin, rudder and tropical radiator, but doesn't mention the slots. The latter would require a new wing moulding really I think, with recesses for the slots to sit in when not deployed, so perhaps a Mark IV won't be catered for. An object of fesire, whatever.

Paul (who has an unreasonable number of completed F2b models and probably needs therapy).

I had an uncle in my youth who would terrify me with stories of his 'goolie chit' and Brisfits with a playing card insignia to define the flight. Does this make any sense to anyone?

• Like 2

84 Sqd used playing cards as Flight identifiers, with an appropriate suite on the fin, whilst in the Middle East in the 1920's - although they were equipped with DH.9's, rather than the Bristol Fighter.

Edited by vince14
  • Like 1

I had an uncle in my youth who would terrify me with stories of his 'goolie chit' and Brisfits with a playing card insignia to define the flight. Does this make any sense to anyone?

In a word, yes - now I feel old!

• 4 weeks later...

I have decided to give it a miss (although it does look very nice). I think there will be a further version released later on with wing slats, spare wheel under the fuselage and different tail skid. The parts seem to be in the kit but marked as not used.