Vulcan display not classed as aerobatic

Aimee'sDad

Anyone else get the email from the vulcan to the sky trust saying pilot Martin Withers has had assurances from the CAA that the vulcan 2015 display is not classed as aerobatic?

She's coming to Salisbury in a few weeks, can't wait!

• Like 3

Interesting indeed!

I looked at the Wings & Wheels website yesterday where it was made clear that it was going to be a flypast only for the Vulcan. Now the website says flying sequence to be confirmed while the MiG15 and Jet Provost will be flypasts only.

I saw it fly at fairford this year at the saturday, a wingtip scraping hard turn on takeoff and a massive power climd rolling out FULLY inverted to end...... nah, thats not aerobatic at all.....;)

• Like 1

Clearly they've never seen Kev display her lol

But seriously, I guess because there are no rolling or looping parts to the display she's acceptable.

Is the Vixen down to attend the show?

• Like 1

Clearly they've never seen Kev display her lol

But seriously, I guess because there are no rolling or looping parts to the display she's acceptable.

Is the Vixen down to attend the show?

It's only a small show I believe but looking at there website www.oldsarumairshow.Com it appears the vulcan is the only jet, the rest are props like spitfire, hurricane and the B-17.

It has rather occurred to me what a 'flypast' actually constitutes, presumably the aircraft will need to turn and bank otherwise it will reach ocean pretty quickly in the UK! ;-) Would a powerful climb-out be acceptable? Topside pass? Fairly high speed in a straight line? If so I'm not going to loose much sleep over it. It might even extend the fatigue life of airframes to keep the Gs down a tad -I know that may be an outspoken comment to some but it's my personal preference. I'd like my grandchildren to see these aircraft (in about 15 years time! :-)).

Further to HP42's question re flypasts - how does the CAA define an aircraft as vintage?

In my opinion aircraft like the vulcan,sea Vixen, Hunter etc aren't vintage. They are classic.

Vintage is pre ww2 In my opinion, like biplanes, there vintage. Would you call a 50 year old person vintage?, probably not but a 80 year old is! (no offence intended!)

• Like 1

There was an article on the Telegraph site yesterday which stated clarification from the CAA as to which aircraft are affected, and the Vulcan was on it. At the risk of sounding mean, it could be argued that, in any case, Mr. Withers' style of flying the Vulcan could not actually be described as 'aerobatic'.

Hush my mouth. :shutup:

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 1

I saw it fly at fairford this year at the saturday, a wingtip scraping hard turn on takeoff and a massive power climd rolling out FULLY inverted to end...... nah, thats not aerobatic at all..... ;)

I'm rather confused Mark - do you mean the Vulcan went inverted, rolling ? Have I misunderstood here? Mostly asking because the last thing we want is certain uninformed members of the press picking up the wrong idea and making noise - that could be most counter-productive!

To my understanding the Vulcan is not allowed, for modern display purposes, to go past the vertical in any rolling maneouvre. In its later RAF days that seemed to have been the case too, with rolls into steep turns which stopped quite emphatically and firmly just before vertical bank. I seem to recall there being more exuberant wingover efforts in earlier displays in the Sixties. I know the prototype famously rolled at Farnborough, many years ago.

Given CAA and pilot's comments I'd think a flypast implies a relatively straight run by, which could include banking back and forth in both directions to allow top and bottom surfaces to be seen, without significant maneouvring. Turns away and back for re-positioning could be done relatively flat or with climb and descent - and a steep climb away at the end would not be aerobatic. Nor, necessarily would a steep descent into the flypast line. I do hope to see her at Ayr, for one last time.

John B

• Like 1

I'm rather confused Mark - do you mean the Vulcan went inverted, rolling ? Have I misunderstood here? Mostly asking because the last thing we want is certain uninformed members of the press picking up the wrong idea and making noise - that could be most counter-productive!

To my understanding the Vulcan is not allowed, for modern display purposes, to go past the vertical in any rolling maneouvre. In its later RAF days that seemed to have been the case too, with rolls into steep turns which stopped quite emphatically and firmly just before vertical bank. I seem to recall there being more exuberant wingover efforts in earlier displays in the Sixties. I know the prototype famously rolled at Farnborough, many years ago.

Given CAA and pilot's comments I'd think a flypast implies a relatively straight run by, which could include banking back and forth in both directions to allow top and bottom surfaces to be seen, without significant maneouvring. Turns away and back for re-positioning could be done relatively flat or with climb and descent - and a steep climb away at the end would not be aerobatic. Nor, necessarily would a steep descent into the flypast line. I do hope to see her at Ayr, for one last time.

John B

The vulcan was fully inverted.. 100% at the top of her last high power climb, she climbed about 80 degrees to i guess 3-4000 feet the rolled completely inverted,everyone and anyone will tell you the same who was at fairford on the saturday, i was , to say the least , astonished, as was the crowd, as i believe were the show authorites who the following day exclaimed that' the sunday display would be far less exuberant' was i believe their actual words.

I have a perfect photo of it imverted., i will get my son to post it if we feel it prudent,....

i would make a guess that beacuse she rolled inverted, held it for a fraction then rolled back, its not classed as a full roll BUT it might have well as been, he was already half way if not more... im sure theres more guys on Britmodeller that saw it that can attest the the exuberant antics....

Edited by markjames68

She was at Clacton today in the hands of Mr Withers. No more than 90 degree bank, and no rolls off the top.

VTTS stated money and spares are not a problem. BAe RR and Marshalls no longer have the manpower with relative experience to continue beyond 2015.

Dunsfold, this weekend, is inland. At the moment their website says "routine to be confirmed" and the VTTS site doesn't generally say much apart from fly-by / display.

We can but live in hope. One odd fact about the Vulcan is that it all looks very impressive but, because it displays at light weight and has a vast wing, most manoeuvres don't exceed 1G. So it may not count as "high energy" at all. Fingers crossed!

• Like 2