1/35 Towed Rapier FSB

MickE

After building 5 Star's Scud A kit I decided my next build would be a little easier however for some reason I pulled this from the stash!​

Kit_zps2iffntvo.jpg

This is Firing Line's 1/35 Rapier FSB Towed AA Missile System. I intend to include it in a diorama of a display I saw at the Waddington Air Show back in 1979 when I was a raw RAF recruit.

This is the figure that will be in the diorama.

Figure_zpshheoidug.jpg

I made a start on the launcher:

Launcher%201_zpsao7axyw4.jpg

Launcher%202_zpsja5zhmp3.jpg

The launcher body was missing a bracket so I fabricated one from plastic card.

Launcher%203_zps0h51xlvh.jpg

Launcher%204_zpsmiaewkjz.jpg

Then moved on to the Blindfire Radar.

Radar%201_zps7igmfjqn.jpg

Radar%202_zpsqiz7llun.jpg

Radar%203_zpsh8euvzp7.jpg

Radar%204_zps2vodxrvc.jpg

I tried gluing the two parts of the antenna face but they kept coming apart when I bent them so I soldered the assembly with 70 degree low melt solder.

Radar%205_zps760y9fnf.jpg

And these are the shock absorbers for both the launcher and the Radar units. I had to solder these as well as the superglue was not man enough.

Springs_zpssytfuedz.jpg

That's all for now.

Mick

• Like 6

Count me in too..I've two of these tucked away ..way back I provided a shed load of information on this it was originally being made by Dartmoor miniatures and was passed on to David ...nice looking kit.

Terry

The resin is excellent with no pour stubs or bubbles, just a few small nubs that are easily cut or sanded off. The white metal is a bit brittle though. I have broken a couple of pieces already. Terry have you checked all the pieces? Mine has four of the eight rail pieces for the launcher arms missing. I have had to fabricate replacements from wire as Firing Line will not supply replacements because I bought the kit second hand.

Do you still have the information available as I could do with some more details particularly of the optical tracker and the launch rails. The tracker does not have the binocular optics included, that area is blank so will need scratch building.

Regards

Mick

I have now built the launcher arms. The rear vertical bracket is completely incorrect so I scratch built a couple from some silver solder as it was the right diameter and was soft enough to be able to form the V shape on the ends.

This is the kit bracket (the end broke of when I was trying to file the other end.

Old%20Bracket_zpsjn0favmt.jpg

And this is the one I made:

New%20Bracket_zpscqbeoygu.jpg

I used a picture of the launcher to make the bracket which I was going to post so you can see what it should look like but I was not sure about the copyright so I decided not to.

This is one of the launcher arms (you can see the bracket in place at the rear).

Launch%20Rail%201_zpshzf1epfa.jpg

Launch%20Rail%202_zps0tnz7aaz.jpg

Regards

Mick

The Launcher unit is finished and ready for paint.

Launcher1a_zps0ceb4ue6.jpg

Launcher2a_zpsleygnzqo.jpg

And so is the Radar Unit.

Blindfire%201_zpsk8ziygv6.jpg

Blindfire%202_zps184lajol.jpg

I am leaving the feet off until the units go on the diorama. I will also add the various cabling after painting as well as the missiles.

Mick

• Like 5

I have made some more progress. This is the Pointing Stick minus the chain that hangs down in the middle.

Pointing%20stick_zps4ygjtirs.jpg

and this is the chain supplied with the kit.

Chain_zps2wsdfug2.jpg

I am sure I can do better than that.

I have also built the two generators. This is one of them.

Genny%202_zpsogkoazjl.jpg

Genny%201_zpsab4girjw.jpg

The large handle for the other one broke when I tried to straighten it even after I heated it first to make it more malleable. I am not too impressed with the standard of the white metal in this kit.

That's it for this time.

Mick

• Like 1

I have made a start on the Optical Tracker however I do not have much information or photos of it and the detail on the kit regarding the operator's sight is lacking. Is there anyone out there who can help me with this?

TIA

Mick

Yes that is the one. Thanks for that. I have that picture and it shows some of the detail, unfortunately the tracker is incomplete and I need to see the front of it as well. There aren't many pictures out there.

Cheers

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I have made a better chain for the Pointing Stick.

Chain_zpsiepe8uix.jpg

Does anyone know what it is used for? I first thought that it was an anchor chain but then I thought that maybe it was a kind of plumb bob used to ensure that the stick is vertical.

Next I built the CDU.

CDU_zps3l00hbex.jpg

Which left the tracker and the missiles. I will leave the missiles until the launcher is painted and ready for them - less chance of breaking wings off that way. Thanks to someone who used to operate Rapier I found that the binocular sight seen in the picture of the tracker in the Newark Museum is normally enclosed by a padded cover - which is the piece included in the kit. I therefore adapted the kit piece to include the sight.

Sight_zpsrihntzop.jpg

Once the tracker is finished I can start on the painting.

Thanks for looking.

Mick

That's a beautiful kit properly assembled. We borrowed a towed rapier from REME Borden it was green when we got it but we're allowed to paint it, so sand it became, at a show we were told they were desert pink but had no reference pictures.

Mick.