1/48th Tamiya- DAP Beaufighter Mk.21, `Reckabye Baby' 22 Sqn, RAAF, Morotai, 1944

Hiya Folks,

Another one which I`ve got around to finishing, this is the lovely Tamiya 1/48th scale Beaufighter built as a DAP built Beau Mk.21, A8-27 DU-A “Reckabye Baby”, flown by the crew of F/L McMilan & F/O Hayes of no. 22 Sqn RAAF, based at Morotai in February 1944. In case you cannot see it, the nose art includes a Beaufighter!;

DSCF5524_zpsvwdgffkk.jpg

DSCF5523_zpskx19ea52.jpg

DSCF5526_zpsx8kawdsr.jpg

DSCF5525_zpsl83attho.jpg

DSCF5533_zpssf5k6vp3.jpg

DSCF5531_zpsqq5jzcv8.jpg

DSCF5530_zpssqvhvzzv.jpg

The decals came from Printscale and reference photos were found on the net thanks to the fantastic ADF Serials website found here; http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/

One photo showed the right hand side of a 22 Sqn Beau which bore the codes as `A-DU' on the right hand side as opposed to DU-A as expected so the decals were cut and applied as A-DU and this photo also shows a pair of US bombs under the wings so some spares box bombs and racks were used and my thanks go to Terry for his help with these.

Hope you like it,

Cheers

Tony

PS- Here is the real aircraft thanks to the ADF Serials website;

Beaufighter_21_A8_27_DU_A_Rockabye_Baby_

Here is a photo showing the codes `A-DU' on a 22 Sqn Beau Mk.21, also showing bombs under the wings inboard of the rocket blast plates;

120004d1299769907t-raaf-22-sqn-query-22s

and here is the Printscale decal sheet, they can be a bit hit and mis but this one is OK;

4806202.jpg

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 37

As above another stunning build. I wish I could turn them out like this all the time.

Luverly job

Thanks Folks,

Glad you lik it and cheers for saying so,........this one had been ticking along for some time in between other builds so took over a year to finish but if it had been done in one go it would probably have taken a month or so,.....the Tamiya kit really is one of those `easy' kits which you fall back onto after a particularly horrible model!

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Fella`s,

If I were to be picky the windscreen on the Tamiya kit looks strange to me, maybe not sloping back enough but it is the only game in town and we cannot really complain as it is definitely a superb kit otherwise. I wonder if Airfix will ever scale their kit up? I`m sure it would sell very well, especially if they included the straight tail and other parts for the earlier variants which had some superb colour schemes,....just a thought!

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks again Folks,

So glad that you like it,........ I have been wanting to build a 1/48th scale RAAF overall green Beau for years,...here is my other 1/48th RAAF Beau in an earlier scheme;

RAAFBeau%2048th_zps6wpxeapu.jpg

Bruce- The decals were great,......I was a bit scared about using them and had a stand by decal option but there was no need!

Etienne- The right tyre,.......oh yes that was a giant right thumb which reached down out of the Pacific sky and rubbed off the dust and dirt by accident! Ooops! Part of the same clumsy celestial hand which knocked part of the undercarriage off while positioning the Beau for photos!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1