Tamiya 1/35 Panther - Ausf.D - Sd.Kfz.171 - Update 14/03/17

PlaStix

Nice work on the cupola, I also took watchers advice and filed down the join. But need to put a bit of filler in as I got a bit carried away in one area, your barrel looks good with a coat of paint. The kits barrel has a very faint seam along the top and bottom which need a light sanding. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Carius said:

Looks excellent :popcorn:

Thank you! :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice work on the cupola, I also took watchers advice and filed down the join. But need to put a bit of filler in as I got a bit carried away in one area, your barrel looks good with a coat of paint. The kits barrel has a very faint seam along the top and bottom which need a light sanding. 

Thank you Ozzy but I didn't manage to disguise it completely. It is still faintly visible. I think it's because I was attempting to do while it was attached to the turret - which made it more difficult to get at. I reckon it would have easier with the cupola separate. I'm hoping it will look better once there's some camo colours and weathering over it! With regards the barrel - it is a nice but I'm sure you'll be able to get rid of the seams on yours. I'm going to keep the two part barrel from this kit and check it alongside the barrel in the Dragon Panther kit. I haven't really looked through the Dragon box properly yet.

7 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Very nice Stix, very sharp detail on the turret.

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard and thank you. The detail does seem good on this kit and I'm hoping it will show up well under the paintwork, washes and weathering. I may try and get some dry-brushing done tonight.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

On 15/02/2017 at 1:04 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Lovely as always Stix, can't get over how smoothly you lay down paint!  :coolio:

Hi Sarge and thank you.

Over the past few days I seem to have been doing bits and pieces on both my current builds. The Panther turret parts have had a wash of Revell's Gunship Grey, followed by a targeted wash of Revell's Anthracite in and around the detail and then I gave it all a dry-brushing of a lightened version of the base coat:

32606399360_9d813a3261_c.jpg

32606398600_a01cee1e4b_c.jpg

32606397990_ff2c3c6a1b_c.jpg

I have also done some more painting on the tools and I'll take some photos when I get chance.

The next main job will be to do the camouflage painting across everything.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 10

Looking Fabulous Stix Coming along nicely Sir !  

I really like the colour is it brush painted ?

Just had to check , it IS brush painted ! most impressive ,very smooth .

Edited by sonofjim
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Looking extremely good Stix, your hairy stick work complements the crisp looking model beautifully. Once again great craftmanship,

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

WHAT HE SAID!!

Roger

• Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 7:35 PM, wimbledon99 said:

Is this how you achieve the highlighting Stix? Works wonders if so :clap2: 

Hi Nigel. Yes, the process I used here - several thinned layers of acrylic paint (of the base colour) applied by wide flat brush, followed by an overall thin wash of Revell's Gunship Grey, next a targeted wash of Revell's Anthracite, applied with a fine pointed brush around raised detail or into recessed detail and finally a dry-brushing of a lightened version of the base coat is how I do all of my AFVs. As long as the detail is fairly sharp in the first place it does seem to be shown off quite well.

On 2/19/2017 at 7:36 PM, FrancisGL said:

He looks soft and very uniform ...:popcorn:, cheers Stix

Thank you Francis. I am always a bit more nervous about doing the wider, plain, flat areas as there's nothing obvious for the dry-brushing to catch.

On 2/19/2017 at 9:01 PM, sonofjim said:

Looking Fabulous Stix Coming along nicely Sir !  

I really like the colour is it brush painted ?

Just had to check , it IS brush painted ! most impressive ,very smooth .

Thank you Jim. Yes all my models are brush painted as I don't own, or have anywhere to use, an airbrush. In the past I have used the odd rattle-can paints to do something when I was short on time but I find it too nerve-wracking! I much prefer painting with brushes.

On 2/20/2017 at 7:26 AM, Gremlin56 said:

Looking extremely good Stix, your hairy stick work complements the crisp looking model beautifully. Once again great craftmanship,

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

You are are way too kind Julian, but thank you! :thumbsup:

On 2/20/2017 at 11:32 AM, Hamden said:

WHAT HE SAID!!

Roger

Thank you too Roger!

On 2/20/2017 at 0:34 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice going Stix, looking forward to the camouflage scheme.

Thank you Ozzy and I may start some camouflage painting tomorrow.

On 2/20/2017 at 5:48 PM, Ripaman said:

Your bush painting skills are absolutely brilliant Stix just makes detail pop :like:

Regards

Richard

Thank you very much Richard.

I haven't had chance to do anything on this during the evenings this week so I'm hoping I can get something, possibly the camouflage painting, done over the next couple of days.

It's the weekend tomorrow!! :yahoo:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

On 24/02/2017 at 0:32 PM, BerndM said:

Good work on the turret, the paint job looks fantastic.

:wow:

Thank you very much Bernd. Are we likely to see any of your builds in the near future?

On 24/02/2017 at 9:23 PM, Kahunaminor said:

Bravo Stix,

I have embarked on an armour build and went looking for inspiration. Well I found it! I am shamelessly stealing most of your techniques. The tracks look great, the hull looks great. In short, it looks great!

Regards,

Hi Kent and that's very kind of you - thank you!

I have been doing bits and pieces on this kit but nothing major so I thought I would include a photo of all the parts at this stage before they are assembled:

33104499085_26a4f5ffe5_c.jpg

Yesterday I was intending to start getting the camo colours on but I discovered I'd run out of one of the colours I need so I'm going to try and pick some up this week. I did join the deck to the lower hull and did a test fit of the gun to the turret and the turret to the hull.

At this stage I thought it might be fun to show you the two kits I'm working on at the moment side-by-side:

33082396086_a1eafaf5c0_c.jpg

The kit in front is the 1/72 T-64 I'm building in the NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB. A couple more:

33124291875_4121d6d424_c.jpg

33082395416_2a90d70ff5_c.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some paint this week.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

They both look fantastic, the panther looks good without any colour. I wish I had fixed the tracks before adding the upper hull, however I didn't glue the sprockets this allowed me to jiggle the tracks on, are you going to use the crewman that's standing up?

• Like 1

Both very nice builds Stix, a Panther with full skirts look somewhat wrong in my eyes.

And small scale AFVs are just sweet, good work !

For BerndM modelling just have a look here, mate :)

The build has seen some further progress after my last post so more soon .:captain:

• Like 1