Tamiya 1/35 Panther - Ausf.D - Sd.Kfz.171 - Update 14/03/17

PlaStix

Hi Stix, the wired up smoke grenade launchers are looking great, i will have a look after your T-64.

I hope you have a fine Monday, mine is great so far  :elephant:

• Like 1

Nice cabling Stix,

i was was going to leave mine off, but looking at yours with a little detail I've changed my mind. I found some old cable from a previous dragon kit for the tow ropes rather than using the string, are you going to go for the Dragon kit with pre molded zimmermit? It will be good to see the comparison of the two, my tracks turned up today so will have a go at them this evening. I brought two tubes of super glue to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2017 at 6:13 PM, Buzby061 said:

Looking good, I quite fancy one myself but would probably plump for a non Zimmerit scheme.

I've got a Dragon Panther A in the pending file. I used Milliput on the turret for the Zimmerit but wasn't happy with the result so I've got some Eduard PE. Need to sand the Milliput off though. :dunce:

Pete

OK, so you've shamed me into it. Dremelled the Milliput off, dust everywhere. I was hoping to get another day out of that shirt but no chance now!

Watching this build with interest.

Pete

• Like 2

Panther_commander_cupola_winter_camo.jpg

Stix,

Me again! Watch out for the cupola; there is no join around the bottom of the viewing ports ...and yes I only discovered this once I'd fitted it but luckily hadn't painted it!

Matthew

• Like 3

On 2/6/2017 at 2:29 PM, BerndM said:

Hi Stix, the wired up smoke grenade launchers are looking great, i will have a look after your T-64.

I hope you have a fine Monday, mine is great so far  :elephant:

Hi Bernd and thank you. I was reasonably happy with the wiring - it just adds a bit of extra detail.

My Monday was fine and my Wednesday has been fine apart for some issues with non-running trains this morning to get to work. I hope you are having a good week.

On 2/6/2017 at 3:30 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Details, details.  :thumbsup:

Thank you Sarge.

On 2/6/2017 at 3:54 PM, Bullbasket said:

The kind of detailing that I like. If it had wiring, and it can be wired, wire it!

John.

Yeah, thank you, and it was particularly hard to do in this case/scale! :thumbsup:

On 2/6/2017 at 5:25 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice cabling Stix,

i was was going to leave mine off, but looking at yours with a little detail I've changed my mind. I found some old cable from a previous dragon kit for the tow ropes rather than using the string, are you going to go for the Dragon kit with pre molded zimmermit? It will be good to see the comparison of the two, my tracks turned up today so will have a go at them this evening. I brought two tubes of super glue to be on the safe side.

Thank you Ozzy. Glad you are going to include the smoke launchers now and good idea about replacing the string. Yes I'm going to see if I can get the Dragon Panther kit with the pre-molded Zimmerit - I had a look in the box in a shop a while back and it looks well done. I may try and find a way to make it look like some of the Zimmerit is damaged like I did on a 1/48 Tiger build I did a while back - it came with pre-molded Zimmerit and it was fairly straight forward to remove some areas of it. I have seen already that you got the tracks done pretty quickly! Well done.

On 2/6/2017 at 6:23 PM, longshanks said:

Some beautiful work going on here.........

Kev

Thank you very much Kev.

On 2/6/2017 at 8:26 PM, Buzby061 said:

OK, so you've shamed me into it. Dremelled the Milliput off, dust everywhere. I was hoping to get another day out of that shirt but no chance now!

Watching this build with interest.

Pete

LOL! Sorry?

Thank you.

On 2/7/2017 at 7:11 AM, Ripaman said:

Very nice work Stix do like the small details.

Regards

Richard

Thank you very much Richard, most kind.

On 2/7/2017 at 7:47 AM, mick said:

great work

Thank you Mick. :thumbsup:

On 2/7/2017 at 0:07 PM, Watcher said:

Stix,

I'm going to mark time until you get ahead of me!!! If I had I would have been able to copy the wiring up of your smoke dischargers!

Sorry Matthew - I'd offer to speed up.........but that's never going to happen!.....Sorry again! On the other hand I am very grateful that you are ahead of me and spotting all these issues and that you are prepared to let me know about them.....you are a star! Thank you. :thumbsup: 

Speaking of which:

On 2/7/2017 at 0:16 PM, Watcher said:

Panther_commander_cupola_winter_camo.jpg

Stix,

Me again! Watch out for the cupola; there is no join around the bottom of the viewing ports ...and yes I only discovered this once I'd fitted it but luckily hadn't painted it!

Matthew

Thank you again Matthew. It's quite interesting that, when I came to look at some really fantastic builds of this kit, quite a few hadn't spotted this at all. Well done for observation. :clap2:

22 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

That wiring is a nice touch Stix. The build is coming along lovely :like:

Thank you very much Nigel.

Over the past couple of evenings I have found the odd 10 minutes here and there to do some more painting on the tools. Nothing worth a photo yet though.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6

On 2/9/2017 at 0:02 PM, Watcher said:

JackG very kindly put me onto this web site which has a lot of detail about the Panther.

http://www.panther1944.de/index.php/en/sdkfz-171-pzkpfwg-panther

Wow! What a great resource! Thank you to you for mentioning it to me and to Jack for mentioning it to you. :thumbsup:

I meant to ask Matthew - have you got any photos anywhere of your progress so far? I (and I'm sure many others) would be interested to see your take of this build. You have obviously done a lot better at finding excellent source material to improve your project than I have! 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gremlin56 said:

I took some photo's of the Overloon Panther a couple of years ago, I can post them here if you are interested,

Julian

:smile:

Photos taken in May 2014, just checked.

Hi Julian. Yes please! That would be great - thank you. :thumbsup:

Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Overloon Panther May 2014.

The ambush camouflage had disappeared in 2014 but if you look at the Mg support on top of the commanders cuppola you can see the Mg support stil sports the 3 color camo.

The Balkenkreuz markings are a complete puzzle to me that are probably fictitious, how bad would the German eysight have to be to warrant double Balkenkreuzen?

DSCN1247.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg

DSCN1249.jpg

DSCN1250.jpg

DSCN1251.jpg

DSCN1252.jpg

The ambush camo would have fit in perfectly for a 1944 Panther. I think Overloon made a "mishmash" of refurbishing their Panther in dunkelgelb that isn't very dunkel ;)

• Like 5

Cool photos Julian, cheers for posting them.....Nice that you can walk all the way round the vehicle (Bovvy's were backed up against a wall last time I was there IIRC).  :coolio:

Those are indeed some rather odd markings, but I have a feeling I may have seen them somewhere before (will have to have a poke around in my references).....Sadly that one's also an Ausf G (Is it my imagination or has someone carefully scraped all the zimmerit off the turret to match the hull, which appears never to have received it? :hmmm:), so it's a very different beast from the Ausf D that Stix is building.  :nerd:

There's a walkaround for a rather battered Ausf D here:  http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/daan_uiterwaal/panther_ausf_d/index.php?Page=1

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Wow! What a great resource! Thank you to you for mentioning it to me and to Jack for mentioning it to you. :thumbsup:

I meant to ask Matthew - have you got any photos anywhere of your progress so far? I (and I'm sure many others) would be interested to see your take of this build. You have obviously done a lot better at finding excellent source material to improve your project than I have! 

Kind regards,

Stix

Stix,

Will do. Its a bit half and half at the moment as I've done the spraying and some washes but I've just added a new coat of Klear. Tomorrow I'll do some oil paint washes and then it will really look like a dogs breakfast! When it looks half decent I'll post some pictures.

Matthew

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I seem to remember this Panther standing near the entrance long before 2014. They then moved it to a new building to store it inside and free from the elements.

I am not really impressed by the restoration job they did, but at least rust and decay have been delayed by a few years.

Cheers mate

;)

• Like 2

On 10/02/2017 at 4:55 PM, Gremlin56 said:

Overloon Panther May 2014.

The ambush camouflage had disappeared in 2014 but if you look at the Mg support on top of the commanders cuppola you can see the Mg support stil sports the 3 color camo.

The Balkenkreuz markings are a complete puzzle to me that are probably fictitious, how bad would the German eysight have to be to warrant double Balkenkreuzen?

The ambush camo would have fit in perfectly for a 1944 Panther. I think Overloon made a "mishmash" of refurbishing their Panther in dunkelgelb that isn't very dunkel ;)

Hi Julian. Great photos - thank you. Any photos are always useful. I know preserved tanks cannot always be relied on as examples as to how a vehicle looked back in actual use but they often make it possible to see details that aren't clear in period photos.

On 10/02/2017 at 6:06 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

There's a walkaround for a rather battered Ausf D here:  http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/daan_uiterwaal/panther_ausf_d/index.php?Page=1

Thank you for the great link Sarge. :thumbsup:

On 10/02/2017 at 6:22 PM, Watcher said:

Stix,

Will do. Its a bit half and half at the moment as I've done the spraying and some washes but I've just added a new coat of Klear. Tomorrow I'll do some oil paint washes and then it will really look like a dogs breakfast! When it looks half decent I'll post some pictures.

Matthew

Hi Matthew. Great! I look forward to seeing them - hope the work on it has gone/goes well.

I ended working on my T-62 in the 70s NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB today.

I have, however, ended up getting hold of this for my follow up project:

32459440850_ebb4e52966_c.jpg

I totally blame Ozzy and his build of the same Tamiya kit to which he has added Zimmerit that looks brilliant. I decided I liked the look of the Panther under Zimmerit but didn't want to make the same kit again and, being lazy, took the hint from Ozzy about the Dragon Panther which has pre-mouldering Zimmerit. This isn't the early realease version of the kit so it doesn't come with the metal barrel or the large sheet of photoetched parts but that's fine - I just want a fairly stress free time building my first 1/35 Dragon kit. Today I also put dibs on another Panther that was on offer in the sale section by Sonofjim.........I think I have a bit of a thing for Panthers now as well as Tigers! 

I haven't opened the plastic bags in the Ausf.D kit with Zimmerit so I took some photos of the box to show some of the features:

32459440260_e95033c49a_c.jpg

When I saw this kit came with the band type tracks I thought about getting some individual link tracks to replace them but the detail on them, plus the fact they have open guide horns, makes me think I'll give them a try first.

31997540094_674d095ae8_c.jpg

The only PE with this version is for the grills:

32459439060_fb461e5831_c.jpg

This is fine because at this stage I don't want to spend a lot of time fitting small parts such as tool clasps.

On the side of the box are some photos to show the Zimmerit:

31997538854_0b42ff1ba3_c.jpg

It does like nice through the plastic bags.

Anyway I'm not going to start this immediately - I'm going to finish the current Tamiya Panther D first or at least get it closer to the finish line.

I am intending to do more work on this project tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Julian. Great photos - thank you. Any photos are always useful. I know preserved tanks cannot always be relied on as examples as to how a vehicle looked back in actual use but they often make it possible to see details that aren't clear in period photos.

Thank you for the great link Sarge. :thumbsup:

Hi Matthew. Great! I look forward to seeing them - hope the work on it has gone/goes well.

I ended working on my T-62 in the 70s NATO vs Warsaw Pact GB today.

I have, however, ended up getting hold of this for my follow up project:

32459440850_ebb4e52966_c.jpg

I totally blame Ozzy and his build of the same Tamiya kit to which he has added Zimmerit that looks brilliant. I decided I liked the look of the Panther under Zimmerit but didn't want to make the same kit again and, being lazy, took the hint from Ozzy about the Dragon Panther which has pre-mouldering Zimmerit. This isn't the early realease version of the kit so it doesn't come with the metal barrel or the large sheet of photoetched parts but that's fine - I just want a fairly stress free time building my first 1/35 Dragon kit. Today I also put dibs on another Panther that was on offer in the sale section by Sonofjim.........I think I have a bit of a thing for Panthers now as well as Tigers! 

I haven't opened the plastic bags in the Ausf.D kit with Zimmerit so I took some photos of the box to show some of the features:

32459440260_e95033c49a_c.jpg

When I saw this kit came with the band type tracks I thought about getting some individual link tracks to replace them but the detail on them, plus the fact they have open guide horns, makes me think I'll give them a try first.

31997540094_674d095ae8_c.jpg

The only PE with this version is for the grills:

32459439060_fb461e5831_c.jpg

This is fine because at this stage I don't want to spend a lot of time fitting small parts such as tool clasps.

On the side of the box are some photos to show the Zimmerit:

31997538854_0b42ff1ba3_c.jpg

It does like nice through the plastic bags.

Anyway I'm not going to start this immediately - I'm going to finish the current Tamiya Panther D first or at least get it closer to the finish line.

I am intending to do more work on this project tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Stix

Its odd but I struggle to do two kits of the same subject.  I don't expect I'll ever do another Panther once I've done this one.

M

• Like 1

Looks a LOT better than their Braille Panther Ausf D kits and that's a fact.  :mellow:

Dragon have completely lost all sense of direction in recent years.....Check this out:  http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1486475287/Dragon+breakthrough-+sailing+tanks!

• Like 1

Looking superb Stix !

I really like the wiring on the smoke launchers ,you did a great job on metalizing  tracks too  .

This looks like a really nice kit , with great surface textures out of the box . I am partial to a Panther mate .

• Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 9:38 PM, Watcher said:

Its odd but I struggle to do two kits of the same subject.  I don't expect I'll ever do another Panther once I've done this one.

M

Hi Matthew. I understand what you mean but I think I always find if I've enjoyed the research and build of one type of aircraft/AFV/etc. I usually enjoy making another (or more) variant(s) of the same type. I've got numerous Spitfires and Tiger 1s already built and some more kits of each for the future. I'm really looking forward to building the Zimmerited version of the Panther D and, as I mentioned, I've already got another Panther on order from sonofjim! I have seen some other Panthers I may try to get at some point............I know - there's no hope for me! :banghead:

On 2/11/2017 at 10:46 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looks a LOT better than their Braille Panther Ausf D kits and that's a fact.  :mellow:

Dragon have completely lost all sense of direction in recent years.....Check this out:  http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1486475287/Dragon+breakthrough-+sailing+tanks!

Yeah you're right. This 1/35 version does look good but their 1/72 version is pretty weak. I checked one out in the box in a model shop a while back and there was nothing to tempt me to buy it - especially at the price on the box.

11 hours ago, sonofjim said:

Looking superb Stix !

I really like the wiring on the smoke launchers ,you did a great job on metalizing  tracks too  .

This looks like a really nice kit , with great surface textures out of the box . I am partial to a Panther mate .

Thank you very much Jim and yeah there is something about Panthers that draws me to them. To be fair I quite like a lot of German armour as well as others.

This weekend I got a bit more done. First off, following Matthew's (Watcher's) advice I got some filler into the join between the top and lower parts of the cupola - before:

32814419226_22dc093854_c.jpg

After:

32855549745_a24b7d9d2f_c.jpg

Thank you Matthew! :thumbsup:

Then, after that had had chance to set I got a couple of layers of Humbrol 93, thinned with water and applied by flat brush, on these parts:

32855549365_aa339f23c8_c.jpg

Late yesterday evening I gave everything a wash of Revell's Gunship Grey before doing a targeted wash around the detail with Revell's Anthracite. No photos of this though as the lighting wasn't great.

Next up I need to get some dry-brushing done with a lighter version of the base coat.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9