Tamiya 1/35 Panther - Ausf.D - Sd.Kfz.171 - Update 14/03/17

PlaStix

21 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I wouldn't have thought that those tracks needed much more weathering, perhaps just some dust, as they look first class, unless of course you are going to show it sitting in a muddy scene.

John.

Hi John and thank you. I'm not going to do too much to them - like you suggest I'm going to add some dust and maybe a spot of mud depending what the base is going to be - I haven't decided between road or field yet.

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Thanks Stix, I've got a pot of Tamiya Crome I will give that a go. I'm nealy complete on the zimmermit, will post some pics later. 

Just been checking out your photos of it wearing the Zimmerit - it looks fantastic! :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Looking good, I quite fancy one myself but would probably plump for a non Zimmerit scheme.

I've got a Dragon Panther A in the pending file. I used Milliput on the turret for the Zimmerit but wasn't happy with the result so I've got some Eduard PE. Need to sand the Milliput off though. :dunce:

Pete

Hi Pete. Thank you. Yeah - having seen Ozzy's I think I'm going to have to build a Panther with Zimmerit - I'll probably go down the Dragon route too but one with Zimmerit already on - lazy....me?:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, longshanks said:

Looking good!

Kev

Thank you Kev!

I did get a bit more done yesterday afternoon and evening - primarily adding more parts to the upper hull decking.

Aft section:

31651145053_d2ef560c51_c.jpg

Front section:

31619469304_98f6d87539_c.jpg

You can see from this I have added the undersides of the sponsons:

32084642460_95174bfcfa_c.jpg

I found that I can fit the fan units (which I painted earlier) by gently easing the parts apart - they were supposed to be fitted in place before these sponson underside parts. This will allow me to paint and do the basic weathering on the upper hull without worrying about getting paint on the fan units - not that they'll be visible under the grills once they are in place.

Late yesterday evening I also got a wash of Revell's Gunship Grey on the underside, back and front of the lower hull plus, once that had dried, some targeted washes with Revell's Anthracite around some of the lovely detail. Next I will need to do some dry-brushing with a lightened version of Humbrol 93 - Desert Yellow. I may be able to find some time one evening this week I hope.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 9

12 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Love the way you approach the details Stix, looks great,

Julian

Thank you Julian. I have kind of adapted the way I build stuff because I brush paint my kits. I try to think of ways to build them to make the painting easier - no other stuff in the way that could be painted while still on the sprues.

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Looking good Stix, are you going to fit the full mud guards?

Thank you Ozzy. Yes I have fitted the full front mudguards now - see below - but I have added some damage to the lower edges.

Recent progress -

Tracks fitted in place:

32538147245_e54017ff9e_c.jpg

32385479712_b3115e14e1_c.jpg

32538146535_c1ed069726_c.jpg

I decided these needed attaching now as I'm getting close to the point where I need to attach the upper hull and these are easier to fit without it in place.

I have also got the upper hull painted with a couple of coats of Humbrol's Desert Yellow. I also painted the grills and got them attached before it was given a thin wash of Revell's Gunship Grey, a targeted wash of Revell's Anthracite and a dry-brushing of a lightened version of the base coat:

32385476892_a805f3f978_c.jpg

32385478342_1dd043e274_c.jpg

32385477522_1d10b03888_c.jpg

Finally I painted the periscopes with Anthracite before dropping some Pledge (new version of Klear) on to the lens areas:

32385476122_6030ac5949_c.jpg

I fitted these in place last night so I'm pretty much ready to attach the upper hull to the lower hull.

More over the weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 11

nice work... how do you get such a good finish when brush painting? for 1/35 what sized brush would you use for the base coat (and is this primered first)??? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robw_uk said:

nice work... how do you get such a good finish when brush painting? for 1/35 what sized brush would you use for the base coat (and is this primered first)??? 

Thank you Rob. I learnt the technique off some of the really talented brush painters here on BM. I do use flat brushes (from the Humbrol sets currently) and I keep the paint quite thin - with water for the Humbrol, Revell and Citadel acrylics. When I first got back into the hobby I always painted with the paint un-thinned and was trying for decent colour coverage on the first coat. This often resulted in thick paint with lines of even thicker paint in amongst it. As a result the final surface was not smooth at all.

My first coats of paint these days often look very patchy but I have learnt several thin coats of paint give much better colour coverage and a smoother finish in the long run. Also I usually suggest that it's a good idea to practice on some scrap first - to get an idea of how the different paints cover with different amounts of water.

On this build I used the thickest of the four flat brushes - the no.10.

Finally - no I don't use primer on any of my builds. I know many modellers say it is a necessity but It's not something I use. (I think I tried priming one kit years ago but I wasn't impressed with the finish). I am usually fairly careful with the model as I'm building it and only very rarely find I have damaged the paint surface in some way. Touch wood - I haven't had any problems with masking tape pulling paint away either - I use the Tamiya masking tapes.

Hope that is of some use.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

Stix, thats brilliant thanks. I think my main problem is not thinning enough. The Quad/Limber/gun etc gives me smaller areas I can try and brush paint (and yes I have a knackered "Goose" I will use to practice)

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 2:46 PM, robw_uk said:

Stix, thats brilliant thanks. I think my main problem is not thinning enough. The Quad/Limber/gun etc gives me smaller areas I can try and brush paint (and yes I have a knackered "Goose" I will use to practice)

No problem. I practiced quite a bit before trying to paint an actual kit in the way I do now and it's a good job I did as my first attempts weren't great.

On 1/28/2017 at 9:43 AM, FrancisGL said:

What a good result !, and because I read you do not use primer, the work you do with brush and no airbrush ... or am I wrong ?.:popcorn:

Cheers mate

Hi Francis. Thank you for your comments. You are quite correct - I do not use primer at all and everything is painted with brushes. I don't own an airbrush as I do not have anywhere to use one.

16 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Starting to take shape Stix. The tracks look superb!! :coolio: 

Itching to start on my T72 next weekend 

Hi Nigel and thank you. The Tamiya tracks are actually very good. I'm looking forward to following your T72 in progress. :thumbsup:

This weekend I have done more work on this project but nothing major. I didn't feel 100% this weekend so decided not to risk doing anything vital or difficult.

First job was to get some paint on some of the smaller parts that will need adding to the hull at some point - these were given a thinned coat of Humbrol Desert Yellow or Revell's Anthracite:

32462529221_eed5a473d3_c.jpg

The Desert Yellow painted parts were then given a wash of Gunship Grey and a targeted wash of Anthracite before being dry-brushed with a lighter version of Desert Yellow:

32585173935_466035717e_c.jpg

It is quite difficult to tell in these photos because the light quality wasn't great and the only place I had to do the photos was on top of the blue box file I keep my paints in.

The Schurzen support brackets are not in the above photo as I fitted them onto the underside of the sponsons - I figured it was easier to do this now than when the upper and lower hulls are together:

32585175475_71b7f90319_c.jpg

32206173320_2d79554d6d_c.jpg

I got the guide horn sections glued onto the spare tracks:

32206172750_c0930515b0_c.jpg

......before giving them a thinned coat of Revell's Anthracite:

32462527161_a303149ac5_c.jpg

The major thing I accomplished this weekend concerned the Schurzen. This is how Tamiya provide it - two long sections:

32462527871_4f61d7fea3_c.jpg

These armour plates often didn't stay in place very long so I wanted to model them with some missing so, after working out where to cut, I carefully removed some sections and this is the result - before painting:

31773295673_9496beaa87_c.jpg

31773295303_f60940349b_c.jpg

....and then after painting and some basic weathering:

32451909312_e045df4a82_c.jpg

32451903132_45543c6117_c.jpg

32482240281_92ffdba2d2_c.jpg

31761413134_f65df2896e_c.jpg

Late on yesterday evening I got the spare tracks dry-brushed with Humbrol's Gunmetal and did some light weathering before assembling them - no photos yet though.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

Stix,

Check those tracks that you will fit to the side of the hull. I'm a little ahead of you and I got a bit excited and glued and fitted them before I realized that they were completely smooth on the insides. The way you assemble them in the instructions leaves gaps. I ended up trying to rectify the situation after they'd been glued on and a tow cable glued on top of them!!

23546d1230960060-panther-v-track-link-10

Matthew

• Like 2

Hi Matt. Thank you for the heads-up! I will have to have a look this evening. They are painted and glued but I should be able to get some filler on and repaint them. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Awesome build, Stix !

This care during the painting stage of your builds always amaze me. Not only the overall paint job, the little details, dust and metallic effects are popping out.

The open guiding teeth of the track links are a nice touch from Tamiya.

On 01/02/2017 at 0:09 AM, Matt182 said:

Beautiful work Stix, the running gear looks fantastic. Very envious of your brush painting skills!

Cheers

Matt

Thank you very much Matt, you are too kind.

On 01/02/2017 at 2:46 AM, Ripaman said:

Coming along nicely Stix, as Matt says running gear does look brilliant :clap2:

Regards

Richard

Thank you very much too Richard.

On 01/02/2017 at 1:04 PM, BerndM said:

Awesome build, Stix !

This care during the painting stage of your builds always amaze me. Not only the overall paint job, the little details, dust and metallic effects are popping out.

The open guiding teeth of the track links are a nice touch from Tamiya.

Hi Bernd. Hope you are well and thank you very much. I must admit I do enjoy the painting process - well most of the time anyway! Yes these tracks are very nice - I may purchase some more to use on other Panther builds in future if only band tracks are supplied with the kit.

On 01/02/2017 at 6:15 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice progress Stix, the cutting of the side skirts. I will have to cut mine a little differently.

Thank you Ozzy. Plan quite carefully where you cut the plates because you need to keep them the right length to fit on the brackets.

I managed to get a fair bit done today. First off, following Matthew's (Watcher) suggestion above, I did some filling on inside faces of the spare tracks. It was slightly tricky because I had already glued them together in pairs:

32700386825_50d646f783_c.jpg

Then I started reapplying the paint, dry-brushing and washes:

31887968663_051d801b5d_c.jpg

Then I decided I ought to start getting some work done on the turret for which I also have the Tamiya add on set with the metal barrel:

31857575764_22d873f1b3_c.jpg

31857575024_2709d20a50_c.jpg

It wasn't too long before I had most of the kit's turret parts assembled:

32706348625_c118d6b5e2_c.jpg

32665919746_921cce7598_c.jpg

....plus the metal barrel fitted:

32327125370_2cb3c64132_c.jpg

More tomorrow I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 10

Looks good, the tracks are indeed nice and as track sets available from Tamiya as well. Only for early types ?

Tracks for the Panther are also available from Bronco as single link tracks with open guiding teeth.

The look really good as well and i will give them a go for sure for some of my coming projects, maybe something for you as well, depends of the price.

Turned metal barrels are a nice touch, your build is really coming along.:clap2:

Have a peaceful Sunday, mate

Bernd9

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up, now seeing what you've done on the spare tracks I understand what watcher picture was about. That barrel kit looks nice, I just opted for the kit barrel as I'm having all hatches closed. 

• Like 1

Nice work Stix, I love the shape of the Panther turret, a very business-like affair. Only type to look even better was the projected late version schmalturm with the sow-head mantlet.

The tracks look great, the open teeth make a world of difference in detail :yes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Nice work Stix, I love the shape of the Panther turret, a very business-like affair. Only type to look even better was the projected late version schmalturm with the sow-head mantlet.

The tracks look great, the open teeth make a world of difference in detail :yes:

What he said!      STUNNING work looking forward to more of the same

Roger 

• Like 1

Watch out Stix! I've just been applying the wash to mine and I spotted some mould lines at the top of the turret at the back. I've had to re-sand and I will have to re-spray. Just check behind the cupola for some fine seams that cross the metal plate!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2017 at 9:04 PM, BerndM said:

Looks good, the tracks are indeed nice and as track sets available from Tamiya as well. Only for early types ?

Tracks for the Panther are also available from Bronco as single link tracks with open guiding teeth.

The look really good as well and i will give them a go for sure for some of my coming projects, maybe something for you as well, depends of the price.

Turned metal barrels are a nice touch, your build is really coming along.:clap2:

Have a peaceful Sunday, mate

Bernd

Hi Bernd. I hope you had a pleasant weekend and having a great Monday! I think Tamiya have done other track links but I don't know how easy they are to get hold of. I've got some ideas for a 1/48 and a couple of 1/35 Panthers in the future - not sure how far in the future though.

On 2/4/2017 at 9:49 PM, Ozzy said:

Thanks for the heads up, now seeing what you've done on the spare tracks I understand what watcher picture was about. That barrel kit looks nice, I just opted for the kit barrel as I'm having all hatches closed. 

No problem Ozzy - yeah the spare tracks will be quite visible on the sides of the hull so need to look right. The barrel is very nice but now you have mentioned it I'm not sure I will use the parts for the gun breech inside the turret. I'm doing mine with all the hatches closed on this build so unless the turret is removed the nice detail won't be visible. I have another Panther D build planned, but with Zimmerit, so I may save the breech set and use it for that - if it will fit in a Dragon Panther turret! :hmmm:

On 2/5/2017 at 1:06 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Nice touch on the track links, little details like that make a big difference.  :coolio:

Thank you Sarge. :thumbsup:

On 2/5/2017 at 6:59 AM, Gremlin56 said:

Hi Julian and thank you. Yeah the Panther turret was a great design. And I think Tamiya did do a really good job on these Panther tracks. :clap2:

On 2/5/2017 at 9:28 AM, Hamden said:

What he said!      STUNNING work looking forward to more of the same

Roger 

Thank you very much Roger - most kind! :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, Watcher said:

Watch out Stix! I've just been applying the wash to mine and I spotted some mould lines at the top of the turret at the back. I've had to re-sand and I will have to re-spray. Just check behind the cupola for some fine seams that cross the metal plate!

It certainly is great having you just building the same kit ahead of me! Sorry you didn't spot them until after you had painted. It took me a while to spot them - they're very fine on mine but I got them sanded off. Thank you again about the tracks too.

15 hours ago, Carius said:

Excellent progress my friend

Thank you very much Carius.

I spent most of my modelling time yesterday working on my T-64 build (in the NATO vs Warsaw Pact 1970s GB) but I did add the smoke launchers to either side of the Panther turret:

31885246354_22160e4f9b_c.jpg

I added some of the cabling on the back of these using 0.4mm lead wire:

32687784606_8a6c030778_c.jpg

31885247364_287f84e228_c.jpg

I also started preparing some more of the smaller parts (tools, etc.) ready for painting. This included cutting away sprue attachment points where I could and removing any seam lines:

31885246224_2bb83a6361_c.jpg

Yesterday evening I did do some painting with Revell's Anthracite but didn't take a photo. I'm hoping to get these parts properly painted during the evenings this week.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 6