Tamiya 1/35 Panther - Ausf.D - Sd.Kfz.171 - Update 14/03/17

PlaStix

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ozzy. Yeah I will definitely following with interest. I've not used large PE sections like Zimmerit before but I do have some for an Academy 1/35 Tiger 1 I've got - so I will be looking for tips!

I have started some painting of the tires over the past few evenings but nothing worth a photograph yet.

Kind regards,

Stix

I think it will be one of the first things on the todo list, as there is strips to add to the hull and the sides and rear of the tank. Once these are applied, then I can add the relevant parts of the kit tools and spare track. I just need to be on the ball with positioning before the super glue sets.

• Like 1

I used the Atak resin zimmerit for my 1/16th Trumpeter IV H build, worked like a dream using Gator Grip Glue slightly thinned with water. This also works fine with PE, easier to clean up after as well.

Just my 2 :2c:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

I used the Atak resin zimmerit for my 1/16th Trumpeter IV H build, worked like a dream using Gator Grip Glue slightly thinned with water. This also works fine with PE, easier to clean up after as well.

Just my 2 :2c:

Hi Julian and thank you for the tips! :thumbsup:

Today was spent mostly working on the wheels. I finished off painting the tires:

31489156853_072d224568_c.jpg

32260638396_baaf660248_c.jpg

32180175751_608290d5f8_c.jpg

32260637466_c8a33d0387_c.jpg

But I also did a bit on the fan units which are pretty much never going to be seen again once they are in place:

31489156343_9faa0b43ed_c.jpg

I also painted the figures and jack with an undercoat of Revell's Anthracite plus I started to add some weathering touches to the wheels and sides of the lower hull but I didn't get time to take any photos.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 5

So this morning I did some more basic weathering on the wheels and toned down the tires by using a very thin wash of light grey to give the impression they are dusty:

31479210934_aba7c22811_c.jpg

I have got some basic weathering done on the sides of the lower hull and attached the suspension arms on both sides:

31479209604_0b9ec929d6_c.jpg

32171323292_9ab3616ffd_c.jpg

I also got a second layer of undercoat added to the figures and jack:

31479208474_ae0539caa7_c.jpg

This afternoon I have started work on assembling the wheels but didn't have time to take any photos.

Stix

• Like 6

On 1/15/2017 at 10:06 PM, Ozzy said:

Nice progress Stix, the road wheels are my least favourite part Yours are looking good.

Thank you Ozzy. Yeah the wheels do take a long time to get sorted. I've now got all mine painted, some basic weathering added and now fitted to the hull sides. There are some photos below but they are a bit dark because I took them quite late on yesterday evening.

Wheels all fitted:

31531319244_e2752a2aa0_c.jpg

There is some nice detail on the sides of this Tamiya hull which is pretty much never going to be seen again:

32373910975_c57716f7a2_c.jpg

I did a test fitting of the tracks which I assembled a while back - September 2015 I think. If you look carefully you can see the gap underneath. I reckon I need to add one more link to each side for these to be about the right length:

31531321504_e9aab0d738_c.jpg

31531320504_752b38ec72_c.jpg

Some close-ups of the nice Tamiya detail:

31531320964_deb74a37a7_c.jpg

32373912165_2bda26e4fc_c.jpg

31531319804_f68878ddb6_c.jpg

Once I have added the extra link to each side of the tracks I will start and get some paint on them and do some weathering.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 10

Those tracks look a lot better than those supplied, I will definitely be getting some. Nice work on all those road wheels, I will hopefully start mine over the weekend.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2017 at 10:46 AM, Hamden said:

Those tracks look great - nice work!

As you say one more link will make them perfect

Roger

Thank you very much Roger. I think Tamiya did a really good job with how they look.The only thing really is the ejection pin marks which need removing from each end of the inner face - they take quite a bit of time to remove. I got the link added to both sides on Wednesday evening and it does look like they should be pretty much the right length.

On 1/18/2017 at 11:33 AM, Dads203 said:

That's starting to look really great, paint is looking rather superb :thumbsup2:

Thank you very much for the kind comment! :thumbsup:

On 1/18/2017 at 1:22 PM, Bullbasket said:

Tracks and wheels look really good Stix. I didn't envy you the job of painting the tyres on 32 road wheels!

John.

Thank you John - most kind. Yeah the tires were a bit of a slow job but I keep the initial layer of paint very thin so it flows around the inner rim without me having to worry too much about painting accurately up to it. Then it's just a matter of adding a couple more thinned layer of paint.

On 1/18/2017 at 2:06 PM, PZRGREN said:

I like the order of the build and the detail is great!  Following with interest.

Hi PZRGREN and thank you. Yes I have been kind of building tanks in this sequence since my first one. As I don't have an airbrush I find it's easier to paint most things before assembling or adding them together. Saves me having to paint parts when they're close to or actually connected to others.

On 1/18/2017 at 11:55 PM, Ozzy said:

Those tracks look a lot better than those supplied, I will definitely be getting some. Nice work on all those road wheels, I will hopefully start mine over the weekend.

Hi Ozzy and thank you. Yes the tracks links really do look much better than the supplied ones. Just a heads-up: don't forget I found I had to use CA glue to fix on the guide horns and there are quite a lot of ejector pin marks to be cleaned up before assembly. Other than that they go together really well.

On 1/19/2017 at 0:23 PM, FrancisGL said:

NIce job with tracks for now, and very nice wheels too...:popcorn:, cheers mate

Thank you very much Francis. 

19 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Don't forget to put a shine on the inner (axle 1, 3, 5 & 7) roadwheel rims where they make contact with the track guide teeth.....Distinctive Panther weathering feature.  :nerd:

Thank you Sarge!! Good point........ had forgotten.....:wall:.....and I should have remembered as it was one of the things I learnt from you during Panther build on my D-Day GB project! I blame old age....:banghead:

I think I should be able to get some shiny paint on those rims if I'm careful - I will have a go tomorrow morning. Great pIc too! :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Looking very nice Stix :) 

Thank you very much Nigel. I'm looking forward to your KV-1 build in the 'From Russia with Love GB'

As I mentioned above I got an extra link added to both lengths of track on Wednesday evening and last night I gave both sets an undercoat of Revell's Anthracite. Next up with be some dry-brushing and washes.......can't wait!

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Gremlin56 said:

Fantastic work on the wheels, they look really great especially with the tracks added.

Nice progress Stix,

:):goodjob:

Thank you Julian - most kind! :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Badder said:

Tidy job on the wheels Stix. For a moment I thought you'd forked out on an airbrush! ;)

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Rearguards,

Badder

You are way too kind Badder. Thank you. I'm in no rush to get an airbrush. I thoroughly enjoy painting with brushes and I haven't got anywhere to use an airbrush anyway.

I have spent a fair bit of time on this today but only remembered to take photos this morning:wall:

The photos - first one showing the tracks after having been painted with Revell's Anthracite and then dry-brushed with Humbrol's Gunmetal:

32292760252_7873882b1b_c.jpg

Also this morning I got the first bit of work done to get the inner road-wheel rims looking like they are shiny and worn from the guide teeth as Sarge reminded me above - thank you Sarge - good job you are on Britmodeller!:

31632318603_9c00129bba_c.jpg

31600726704_d92b3c31bc_c.jpg

Today I also manage to start adding some dirt washes to the tracks as well as doing some work on the exhausts and other bit and pieces. I will take and post some photos tomorrow morning if I get chance.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 9

Luvverly work again. I reckon if you were to hide one of your models amongst those of a thousand other people, I'd find yours no problem. You definitely have a style.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nice going, what did you use on the inner road wheels?

Hi Ozzy. Thank you. I used Revell's Acrylic Aluminium thinned with water and applied with a fine brush. I had to be careful  not to catch the other wheels.

15 hours ago, Badder said:

Luvverly work again. I reckon if you were to hide one of your models amongst those of a thousand other people, I'd find yours no problem. You definitely have a style.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thank you Badder. I think my stuff looks similar because I have to find ways to create the effects I want without an airbrush. I'm mostly able to the things I have in my head in one way or another.

This morning I spent a lot of time on the washes on the tracks - it seemed to take forever:

32416307286_d4bca900c7_c.jpg

There's still more weathering to be added but I'll do that once the tracks are in place.

This was just a test fitting to see how it looked in place:

32416306756_ca3f09e28b_c.jpg

I meant to show before how the rear stowage boxes look when in place:

32305000252_0e0d7d669a_c.jpg

Some of the smaller bits for the lower hull. The exhausts have been painted Anthracite and now need to be dry-brushed with Gunmetal and then 'rusted':

32416306066_3e7c8396af_c.jpg

I have started attaching some of the parts to the upper hull so I can get the basic painting done before final assembly:

32304999552_c16635d2bb_c.jpg

32416305286_c6955e26f6_c.jpg

I also got some paint, Humbrol 93, applied the lower part of the hull so I can get the rest of the painting and weathering done on it before I fit the tracks.

More later I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 8

I wouldn't have thought that those tracks needed much more weathering, perhaps just some dust, as they look first class, unless of course you are going to show it sitting in a muddy scene.

John.

Thanks Stix, I've got a pot of Tamiya Crome I will give that a go. I'm nealy complete on the zimmermit, will post some pics later. 

Looking good, I quite fancy one myself but would probably plump for a non Zimmerit scheme.

I've got a Dragon Panther A in the pending file. I used Milliput on the turret for the Zimmerit but wasn't happy with the result so I've got some Eduard PE. Need to sand the Milliput off though. :dunce:

Pete