Tamiya 1/35 Panther - Ausf.D - Sd.Kfz.171 - Update 14/03/17

PlaStix

That looks really durable, they should sit very nicely.

Those tracks look really nice

Roger

Still don't know where you find the time Stix

Another added :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

How's this one doing Stix - Have you put her back in the box?

His all,

Thank you for the comments about this Panther. I'm sorry I haven't updated this thread for a while - real life and some last minute finishes in GBs put paid to me getting anything more done as yet. I hadn't realised how long it would take me to get my Centurion finished for the Vietnam GB. I had thought I was going to have a free week over the Xmas break but I only ended up with a day - the modelling time of which I spent washing the sprues for two new GB's kits - the MiB one (started) and P-47 STGB (starting this weekend).

I have finished the tracks now and if (or when) I get some more time I will come back to work on this.

Just flicked through my model mag and found they do some nice zimmerit for the tamiya Panther, if my panzer IV doesn't turn up I may get one of these.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ED36328

Hi Ozzy. Good to know there is some available - but it's a bit pricey! That's about the same as the actual kit cost!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Ozzy. Good to know there is some available - but it's a bit pricey! That's about the same as the actual kit cost!

Kind regards,

Stix

I didn't look at the price, your right they are a bit pricey.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Well it looks like I have to apologise again - It's been a year since I did the reply above and a year and a half since I started this project. My original intention was to build this kit during the early part of 2016 - when I thought I would have some time but then I spent the whole of 2016 building models in GBs!

My later plan, during the latter part of 2016, was to build this once I'd finished my MTO project but that ended up not being finished until 24th December (the day before the deadline) and then I realised I had said I would build something in the P-51 Mustang STGB. I managed to finish that kit yesterday morning. So yesterday afternoon I finally got around to making a proper start on this Panther - albeit only a small start.

I managed to glue a few bits and pieces to the lower hull:

31957174621_d64f6036e4_c.jpg

31233677504_f4472589d1_c.jpg

My intention is to get the lower hull painted first before attaching anything else to make it easier to paint. I will also paint the wheels and other parts still to be attached while they are still on the sprues - but that will be next weekend.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 2

I got one of these as a Christmas present, so will be watching avidly to get some top tips. As it was a present I'm treating myself to the zimmermit set from Hannants, as well as the grills and tracks. I found a  Dutch plaster house on line, which I will work into a band of brothers esk dioarama with the panthers front covered like a hay stack. I will be incorporating a mini art barn also, I will hopefully start the build before the mosquito GB begins.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2017 at 4:01 PM, Ozzy said:

I got one of these as a Christmas present, so will be watching avidly to get some top tips. As it was a present I'm treating myself to the zimmermit set from Hannants, as well as the grills and tracks. I found a  Dutch plaster house on line, which I will work into a band of brothers esk dioarama with the panthers front covered like a hay stack. I will be incorporating a mini art barn also, I will hopefully start the build before the mosquito GB begins.

Glad you have got one of these too and I look forward to following your project. When you mentioned about the Zimmerit I did a bit of checking - do you know what date you will be basing your diorama in?

Based only on the bit of research I managed to do, I don't think Zimmerit was in use on Panthers until August/September '43 so if you are making a Panther based on the schemes in the box for the Battle of Kursk you won't need any Zimmerit. I am not an expert on this, so please do you own checking, but I thought I should mention it. If your scene is based after August/September '43 then they were more likely to have Zimmerit.

22 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Very good work in the tracks, I am very interested to see the process of mounting a link with another to make the tracks, because maybe I bought some, but I do not know if they are advisable ...:popcorn:

Cheers and HNY :santa:

I think some individual link tracks are easier to make than others but these Tamiya tracks do tend to look better overall than the band type. These were not to bad to do compared, say, to the AFV ones.

49 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Hi Nigel! :welcome:

I was thinking about trying to do something on this project yesterday evening but, as it had been my first day back at work after the break, I was falling asleep early in the evening.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Glad you have got one of these too and I look forward to following your project. When you mentioned about the Zimmerit I did a bit of checking - do you know what date you will be basing your diorama in?

Based only on the bit of research I managed to do, I don't think Zimmerit was in use on Panthers until August/September '43 so if you are making a Panther based on the schemes in the box for the Battle of Kursk you won't need any Zimmerit. I am not an expert on this, so please do you own checking, but I thought I should mention it. If your scene is based after August/September '43 then they were more likely to have Zimmerit.

Kind regards,

Stix

I'm planning to be set in September 1944 during operation market garden, I've just got to work out sizes to whether I can fit a Sherman in too as well as some US airborne dismounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnc5PXxMkTg&sns=em

somthing along the lines of this is what I'm aiming for, changing the Tiger for a panther.

• Like 1

I have managed to find a bit of time to do a small amount of work. I have got the jack and storage boxes together:

31311914953_74485df771_c.jpg

....and the figures:

31311933633_aca6761288_c.jpg

As I mentioned before I won't be able to get the painting of the hull and running gear parts done until the weekend but I can at least do some of the smaller assemblies like the above.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 05/01/2017 at 3:24 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looking very smart Stix.....BIG though.  ;)

Thanks Sarge and yep! 

On 06/01/2017 at 6:48 AM, Gremlin56 said:

Good to see this build back underway Stix, you should have this one sitting up and doing tricks once you have worked your hairy stick magic,

:D

Hi Julian. Yeah I'm pleased to be back to this kit but there is a lot more to paint!

I started this morning thinking I would be onto painting fairly quickly but then I realised I'd be better off cutting away the wheels and suspension parts of the sprues from the rest so I could do some prep work that was needed:

32011566222_7843267bd2_c.jpg

The prep work included fitting the wheel, drive sprocket and idler hub centres - these will be easier to paint with them fitted in place:

31349922643_4ab31a13a7_c.jpg

31349921313_7ff77128cb_c.jpg

While working to fit the hub centres I noticed that there were fairly noticeable seam lines down either side of the suspension arms and around the edge of each tire. So I then spent almost two hours removing these with a scalpel.

This afternoon I started painting. I'm not awfully pleased with the results though. I had to start a new pot of Humbrol 93 but I realised after a while that, although it's been really well stirred, it seems to be really patchy when applied. It gives a nice smooth finish but there seems to be uneven coverage of colour. I have another new pot of this colour which I will try overcoating with tomorrow.

I have had a similar problem in the past and it turned out to be just a bad batch I think.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 2

Nice start despite the issues Stix :D

This has me itching to get going on my T-72 now that I've finished the SAS Jeep. However, the GB is 4 weeks away!!!

Might have to find another quick build to keep me busy :hmmm:

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up Stix, I've ordered the horizontal zimmermit so will be starting mine once I'm back to the bench after my first trip state side of 2017.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2017 at 8:26 PM, wimbledon99 said:

Nice start despite the issues Stix :D

This has me itching to get going on my T-72 now that I've finished the SAS Jeep. However, the GB is 4 weeks away!!!

Might have to find another quick build to keep me busy :hmmm:

Hi Nigel and thank you. Yeah it's strange about the paint issues. Yesterday I used some older paint, which has a different batch number on the lid, to overcoat it with. It looks a little better.

I'm looking forward to following your T-72 build. :thumbsup:

On 1/7/2017 at 8:47 PM, Ozzy said:

Thanks for the heads up Stix, I've ordered the horizontal zimmermit so will be starting mine once I'm back to the bench after my first trip state side of 2017.

Oh I'm looking forward to following your build with the Zimmerit. Hope your State side visit goes well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Yesterday I got some more painting done. Being as the first coats with the new pot of Humbrol 93 I opened on Saturday seemed very patchy colourwise, I decided to use some from one of my old pots of the same colour to overcoat with. It seemed to even out the appearance although not completely:

32191042645_cd3c0ccabd_c.jpg

31380771433_150ff3616b_c.jpg

32191040775_cf90a60a0e_c.jpg

32191039745_915aa855ba_c.jpg

However, I tried not worry too much as I knew I was going to add washes and a fair amount of dry-brushing. The photo below was taken when the light was pretty poor so it doesn't really show the effects I was aiming for but it shows them after they had had an overall wash of very thinned Revell Gunship Grey, a targeted wash of Revell's Anthracite around some of the detail and a dry-brushing of lightened Humbrol 93:

32062414212_4d8274d55a_c.jpg

I'm hoping I can get some more touches of weathering done in the evenings over the next week.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 6

Hi Stix. It's coming along nicely. I see that you are using some of the Revell acrylics. I was given a whole bunch of these by my neighbour after her husband sadly passed away. My question is, what are they like for spraying? Do you treat them the same as Tamiya acrylics?

John.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Carius said:

Looking good my friend :popcorn:

Thank you Carius....most kind. :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Stix. It's coming along nicely. I see that you are using some of the Revell acrylics. I was given a whole bunch of these by my neighbour after her husband sadly passed away. My question is, what are they like for spraying? Do you treat them the same as Tamiya acrylics?

John.

Hi John and thank you. Yeah I do use Revell acrylic paints but I'm afraid I don't use an airbrush so I cannot offer any advice. All my paint is applied with good old hairy sticks. I find that, usually, Revell paints thin really well with water and go on very well when applied with flat brushes.

I'm sure someone will be able to let you know if they do airbrush well. It might be worth trying some out on a test piece or two.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlaStix said:

All my paint is applied with good old hairy sticks. I find that, usually, Revell paints thin really well with water and go on very well when applied with flat brushes.

Sorry Stix, my fault. I forgot that you brush paint.

John.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I treat mine exactly like Tamiya acrylics.....Allegedly you can thin them with water, but I always use Tamiya X-20a when I'm airbrushing with Revell Aquas.  :coolio:

Thanks Sgt. I'll try it out.

John.

20 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Oh I'm looking forward to following your build with the Zimmerit. Hope your State side visit goes well.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

im looking forward to it to, it's the first time I've used big etch pieces. As in the past I've attempted my own zimmermit, with putty or used Tamiya's stick on stuff.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 1:00 PM, Ozzy said:

im looking forward to it to, it's the first time I've used big etch pieces. As in the past I've attempted my own zimmermit, with putty or used Tamiya's stick on stuff.

Hi Ozzy. Yeah I will definitely following with interest. I've not used large PE sections like Zimmerit before but I do have some for an Academy 1/35 Tiger 1 I've got - so I will be looking for tips!

I have started some painting of the tires over the past few evenings but nothing worth a photograph yet.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1