Tamiya 1/35 Panther - Ausf.D - Sd.Kfz.171 - Update 14/03/17

PlaStix

Thanks for posting up detailed pics of this kit Stix. It looks like a very nice kit overall. One thing that has got me a little curious is the lower hull. It has some odd looking moldings around the final drives / front plate and the instructions appear to show that no glue is to be used when attaching the upper hull. Maybe this kit was/is intended to be released as an RC version too?

Hi Matt.glad the photos were of interest. With regards Tamiya making this an RC version at some point you may be right. I think I remember in one of the reviews saying that the hole on the centre of the bottom of the hull may be something to do with that:

20779762205_6539e83bbe_c.jpg

It seems odd that it's the only round plate that has to be attached as a separate piece.

That looks nice. I want it as well :)

I will be watching cos I really enjoy working wip's

Cheers

Hi Pawel. It is very nice and I think it should be well worth getting one if you can.

Tamiyas way of molding the track parts is really nice, the modeller will have open guiding teeths on his Panther

Hi Bernd. The only problem I can see with the tracks is the quantity of pieces! (See below).

Missed the kick-off Stix. The model lives up to it looks I must say. It should be a very impressive build. The add on sets are cream on the cake, they will give it that final necessary detailing.

Hope you do a a parallel build :winkgrin:

Hi Julian. Not really kicked off yet although I may do some work on the tracks soon. As to a parallel build - I'll wait and see! :winkgrin:

I decided I'd get the track parts washed in some warm soapy water so that I can get them started soon. While they were drying I took a photo:

20383879163_050cd2b65f_c.jpg

When I saw them like this I realised how may parts there are and how long they are going to take to cut off the sprue, clean up and fit together! I'm going to do them at times other than when I do my kit building on weekend mornings. So I don't use up the time on such a repetitive job.

While I was washing them one of the pieces broke away so I decided to have a bit of a test fitting:

20978696266_3b64303a07_c.jpg

I found it fairly tricky to do but I think once I've done a few they should be okay.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

These tracks will keep you a while busy :) i don t think its to complicated but the process of building the tracks can be a bit tedious.

Looks like a brilliant kit !

There is a Dragon Sherman Firfly in my Evil Bay watch list, looks like a great kit but the tracks ( three pieces for a single link ) keeps me still off.

• Like 1

These tracks will keep you a while busy :) i don t think its to complicated but the process of building the tracks can be a bit tedious.

There is a Dragon Sherman Firfly in my Evil Bay watch list, looks like a great kit but the tracks ( three pieces for a single link ) keeps me still off.

Well you are quite correct Bernd! The tracks are keeping me busy - see below. It does look like a brilliant kit and I am really itching to start it..........but there's two Spitfires, a Centurion tank and possibly a couple of Hurricanes to be completed first, although, as you will see below, I couldn't resist doing something on this project.

Not surprised the three parts per link is putting you off getting that Firefly. The two parts per link on the tracks for this tank makes for slow progress.

I have been able to find the odd bits of spare time over the past few days and got the tracks underway. It was a very slow process to start with but, once I got going, it wasn't too bad. I decided to go with Ozzy's idea (thank you Ozzy for the suggestion) of fitting the guide horn parts while the link part was still attached to the sprue. I reckon I have taken about three or four hours to get all 180 guide horn parts attached to the links:

21127940462_f66878c7b2_c.jpg

One thing I found out early on was that my usual plastic glue -Revell's Contacta Professional - does not glue the plastic together that Tamiya have made these parts from. So I ended up using Loctite Superglue which worked just fine.

Next job is to either file off or fill the two circular ejector pin marks on each link - probably another few hours work.........

21127940232_58f96f3cb2_c.jpg

As I mentioned before I'm going to try and do this type of stuff when I get the odd few minutes here and there rather than do it during my weekend kit building sessions.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 3

Well you are quite correct Bernd! The tracks are keeping me busy - see below. It does look like a brilliant kit and I am really itching to start it..........but there's two Spitfires, a Centurion tank and possibly a couple of Hurricanes to be completed first, although, as you will see below, I couldn't resist doing something on this project.

Not surprised the three parts per link is putting you off getting that Firefly. The two parts per link on the tracks for this tank makes for slow progress.

I have been able to find the odd bits of spare time over the past few days and got the tracks underway. It was a very slow process to start with but, once I got going, it wasn't too bad. I decided to go with Ozzy's idea (thank you Ozzy for the suggestion) of fitting the guide horn parts while the link part was still attached to the sprue. I reckon I have taken about three or four hours to get all 180 guide horn parts attached to the links:

21127940462_f66878c7b2_c.jpg

One thing I found out early on was that my usual plastic glue -Revell's Contacta Professional - does not glue the plastic together that Tamiya have made these parts from. So I ended up using Loctite Superglue which worked just fine.

Next job is to either file off or fill the two circular ejector pin marks on each link - probably another few hours work.........

21127940232_58f96f3cb2_c.jpg

As I mentioned before I'm going to try and do this type of stuff when I get the odd few minutes here and there rather than do it during my weekend kit building sessions.

Kind regards,

Stix

The detailing of the links is very good if that is any consolation for all the work entailed in cleaning ejector pin marks etc. The final result will be extremely sexy methinks Stix. Well worth the extra milage :winkgrin::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Looks like you've been busy, they have turned out nice. this site would be a boring place if we dint share our experiences and advice.

• Like 1

I can confirm your dread about the Firefly tracks, they're a pain. The Sherman III comes with DS tracks, much easier.

Pete

• Like 1

I can confirm your dread about the Firefly tracks, they're a pain. The Sherman III comes with DS tracks, much easier.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. That will decide it !

• Like 1

20978696266_3b64303a07_c.jpg

Did you consider Bronco's Panther tracks? I'm just doing a Tamiya Panther G, the Bronco one's are semi workable, just click together, most mundane part is getting them off the sprues tedius due to the sprue attachment points but no ejector marks, and at £9-10 far cheaper than the Tam's.

• Like 3

The detailing of the links is very good if that is any consolation for all the work entailed in cleaning ejector pin marks etc. The final result will be extremely sexy methinks Stix. Well worth the extra milage :winkgrin::thumbsup:

Hi Julian. Thank you. Yes they should look good and I don't really mind the work to get them sorted - especially as I'm doing them so they don't eat into my main modelling time at weekends.

Looks like you've been busy, they have turned out nice. this site would be a boring place if we dint share our experiences and advice.

Hi Ozzy. Thank you for your comments and I agree - I have picked up loads of tips off BM which have helped me with my builds - so I'my very grateful for people taking the time to explain how they do things.

Did you consider Bronco's Panther tracks? I'm just doing a Tamiya Panther G, the Bronco one's are semi workable, just click together, most mundane part is getting them off the sprues tedius due to the sprue attachment points but no ejector marks, and at £9-10 far cheaper than the Tam's.

Hi eoin6661. Thank you for your suggestion. I am going to stick with these because Mrs PlaStix very kindly bought the whole lot for me as a present and I think they'll be great once they're done.

Hopefully I'll get the filling started on Monday.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix

Hi eoin6661. Thank you for your suggestion. I am going to stick with these because Mrs PlaStix very kindly bought the whole lot for me as a present and I think they'll be great once they're done.

Hopefully I'll get the filling started on Monday.

Kind regards,

Stix

Sentimental value. Tell her it'll look great on the mantelpiece. :winkgrin:

Pete

• Like 1

Sentimental value. Tell her it'll look great on the mantelpiece. :winkgrin:

Pete

Yep! ........and I think that's a given! :winkgrin:

Not had much time on this project recently but I've managed to start getting some links joined together. The cleaning up after cutting the link off the sprue and removing the ejection pin marks takes a reasonable amount of time. The actual joining is very straightforward and the joints seem well made:

21248135626_70ca387641_c.jpg

20651689174_7b12acd422_c.jpg

More soon I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 7

Nice work on the track clean up Stix..! Its a while since I did armour but when I did I completed ten or so links at the start of every modelling session. That way I didn't get too bored or have shelf queens ;)

Keep it up, will be following this one.

• Like 1

Nice start on the track bashing, they look nice and straight which is always a good sign. With the way they go together, they don't look as though they will be a pain to join together when on the running gear.

• Like 1

Yep! ........and I think that's a given! :winkgrin:

Not had much time on this project recently but I've managed to start getting some links joined together. The cleaning up after cutting the link off the sprue and removing the ejection pin marks takes a reasonable amount of time. The actual joining is very straightforward and the joints seem well made:

21248135626_70ca387641_c.jpg

20651689174_7b12acd422_c.jpg

More soon I hope.

Kind regards,

Stix

Nice work Stix, very neat and tidy :goodjob:

• Like 1

Excellent work, the tracks are looking really good, love the open guiding teeths. Guess these tracks, sold also seperate, will probably fit an early Ausf.A

Panther.

Some days ago, i have started to cut out the single track links from a Dragon Ausf.A and have started to drill out the guiding teeth, i am not sure if this is a good idea.... :hmmm:

Guess your Panther will be a stunner like the other AFVs you did !

• Like 1

That looks excellent ! Guess with a slight "sack" they will look quite realistic on your Panther.

Worth every minute !

Excellent work, the tracks are looking really good, love the open guiding teeths. Guess these tracks, sold also seperate, will probably fit an early Ausf.A

Panther.

Some days ago, i have started to cut out the single track links from a Dragon Ausf.A and have started to drill out the guiding teeth, i am not sure if this is a good idea.... :hmmm:

Guess your Panther will be a stunner like the other AFVs you did !

Hi Bernd. Thank you for your comments. Yes I'm hoping they will give a better appearance than the tracks that come with the kit. Not sure if they'll fit an Ausf.A but I'm sure someone may know. That sounds like you have taken on a lot of work drilling out the guide teeth!!

Good job with this. It will be looking really nice after done.
Me I don't like to do tracks I have a big problem wrap them around wheels after I put them together.
Cheers

Thank you Pawel. I've only made up one set of links before and that was for my 1/48 Tiger build in the Achtung Panzer GB. These are far easier to put together but still time consuming.

Nice work on the track clean up Stix..! Its a while since I did armour but when I did I completed ten or so links at the start of every modelling session. That way I didn't get too bored or have shelf queens ;)

Keep it up, will be following this one.

That sounds like a good idea Marty. I'm not really starting this build yet so I'm just putting a few links together when I get chance - during odd bits of time during the day when I wouldn't have chance to do any proper kit building!

Nice start on the track bashing, they look nice and straight which is always a good sign. With the way they go together, they don't look as though they will be a pain to join together when on the running gear.

Thank you Ozzy. Yes they should, hopefully, fit on okay.

good work on the tracks

Thank you Mick.

Nice work Stix, very neat and tidy :goodjob:

Thank you Julian.

ouch those tracks look fiddly... good luck (and great progress so far)...

Thank you Rob. They aren't too fiddly (so far) just very time consuming in terms of cleaning up.

Okay.....there has been some progress with these tracks but, as I mentioned above, they are very time consuming. The first stage - gluing on the guide horn sections, wasn't too bad. However, the removal of the links from the sprues, the cleaning up of the sprue gate remains and then carefully scraping away the ejector pin marks takes around about 5 minutes per link. So far I have just about completed one length - I have got 80 links (the instructions say 83 but I will wait to do the add the last few until I've got the running gear completed) together - so that works out at about 7 hours worth of modelling time!! I think I would have been very fed up if I was doing these during my weekend sessions!

Anyway - one of the tracks almost complete (bar three links):

21164932283_d2683d6951_c.jpg

Closer in view of the outside of the tracks:

21774253902_1b7046a6b0_c.jpg

They do look rather nice.

......and the inside:

21597959070_6300a92100_c.jpg

Right.....another 7 hours should see the other length complete :banghead:

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5