Tamiya 1/35 Panther - Ausf.D - Sd.Kfz.171 - Update 14/03/17

PlaStix

EDIT: 03/01/17 - It's been over a year since I did anything with this kit and year and a half since I started this project. My original intention was to build this kit during the early part of 2016 - when I thought I would have some time but then I spent the whole of 2016 building models in GBs! My later plan, during the latter part of 2016, was to build this once I'd finished my MTO project but that ended up not being finished until 24th December (the day before the deadline) and then I realised I had said I would build something in the P-51 Mustang STGB. I managed to finish that kit yesterday morning. So yesterday afternoon I finally got around to making a proper start on this Panther - albeit only a small start. (Please see page 3 for current update.)

I'm quite excited about this future project. So much so that I thought I'd post a few photos early.
The first AFV kit I made, after being back into making kits for a couple of years, was a Panther. In fact it was Dragon's 1/72 Panther Ausf.G with Zimmerit. It turned out reasonably well and I really enjoyed making it. So much so that I have quite a fondness for the Panthers. Since making my first I havent really seen one I thought I'd like to have a go at next though.

Recently, however, I picked up a modelling magazine which had a preview and advert for Tamiya's latest 1/35 Panther - the Ausf.D. Now I rather liked the look of it and mentioned this to Mrs PlaStix.

Well, while on a shopping trip to Birmingham this is what she got me:
20157224994_0bb62fc18b_c.jpg

.........which comes with all this in the box:
20157220764_93666bfab8_c.jpg

Not only that she also got me these!:
20779814865_100dd26d3b_c.jpg

I feel really lucky!

Im going to post this in several sections rather than in one long post.

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 10

Now I cant offer a review of this kit as I dont know enough about the tank itself, or the other similar kits that have gone before this one. If you are interested there are plenty of reviews from knowledgeable modellers to be found through websites such as Scalemates.com.

I will, however, post some photos of whats in the boxes and packages as I think there may be some other modellers here on BM who might be interested in what you get for the money.

So what do you get if you just buy the actual kit:

20770345302_4237b46220_c.jpg

20591772540_03c3cdd2c6_c.jpg

20158806303_a86fdeca05_c.jpg

20779762205_6539e83bbe_c.jpg

20591767378_9e1364d383_c.jpg

20786729431_e584219552_c.jpg

20157146684_4de48c66dd_c.jpg

20157242774_361684d07e_c.jpg

20591686758_f358eb7557_c.jpg

20779671185_3c069c836c_c.jpg

Theres two of these sprues:

20592907629_bc476eb3f0_c.jpg

20591659330_dcc1c1f4c5_c.jpg

20779653045_2cc11851b7_c.jpg

20591646970_cbdf129311_c.jpg

............to be continued............

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 3

The tools:

20753422106_e7227b5ec6_c.jpg

The figures:

20770257172_da701053bf_c.jpg

…….and the box art’s version of what they should look like:

20786786761_7573f4fca0_c.jpg

20753546866_e1feceb4be_c.jpg

The tracks:

20592117868_cd262a3a5b_c.jpg

Bag of bits and pieces:

20157039304_60b2838eac_c.jpg

Decals:

20753374206_6bf0900f6c_c.jpg

Some samples of the instructions:

20592573629_51e0d916ff_c.jpg

20592552089_9cd73b19ab_c.jpg

20158329013_e57aa04b9a_c.jpg

Some additional information is provided:

20770198522_b827340c1a_c.jpg

20156875154_18683d8e9b_c.jpg

20753185586_51806748f3_c.jpg

Some rather nicely presented painting details:

20158428053_6c985ab058_c.jpg

….including some photos of the actual Panther:

20591374768_c1588dec07_c.jpg

The extras:

Tracks:

20158840683_9c6dfb433c_c.jpg

Grills:

20158876543_b2301edc8e_c.jpg

Metal Gun Barrel set:

20157181144_9f387acd97_c.jpg

Most negative comments regarding this kit seem to be about these three detail sets which need to be purchased separately. Some reviewers suggest that, in this day and age, this sort of kit should come with the grills and a metal barrel. Me? I’m just glad Mrs. PlaStix got me the lot!!

As I mentioned earlier; it’s going to be a while before I properly start work on this because I currently have two Spitfires on the go in the BoB GB, I’m intending to make a tank for the Vietnam GB (which starts the weekend after next!) and I want to make a couple of Hurricanes for the STGB of the same name, at the start of next year. But after that………….

I am thinking I may do a few bits on this build alongside the aforementioned builds – I have an idea about putting the tracks together first – possibly a few links at a time in the evenings.

As I said – I am really looking forward to building this kit. If anyone would like any extra photos taking of any of the parts I’ve not included in the photos above please let me know.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 8

Way coool Stix! I've been eyeing this kit since i saw it come on the market. It looks very nice from your pics. What a lucky man having a wife that buys you models. Mine doesn't want to see anymore coming in to the house! I look forward to the up dates, regards Greg

• Like 1

Happy modelling with this fine kit :)

Seems you have everything to get this started at some time. Some weeks ago, i added a Dragon Ranther Ausf. A ( early ) to my Panther Ausf.G in my stash and looking forward to start one of them too ( after the Hurricane )

The G is a newer kit, quite complex but with perfect casted Zimmerit on the parts and the A will have PE Zimmerit from Eduard.

There is also a new tool Panther Ausf. D from Zvezda in 1/35, plenty of kits for the fans of big cats

• Like 1

I don't know why, but this new kit make me feel the way I first did when I discovered Tamiya all them years ago! :wub::)

Will be watching this with interest as I will be getting one soon :D

• Like 1

That looks to be a very good kit, even by Tamiya standards. I look forward to seeing what you make of it.

• Like 1

I'm along for the ride on this one, thanks for taking the time to post the pics, I quite fancy one of these!

Hi Phil. No problem about the pics - I thought, as it hadn't been reviewed on BM yet, that some Britmodellers may be interested.

Interesting, I will look forward to watching this come together

Roger

Hi Roger. I'm looking forward to getting started on it - but it may be a bit of a slow start..........we'll see.........

Way coool Stix! I've been eyeing this kit since i saw it come on the market. It looks very nice from your pics. What a lucky man having a wife that buys you models. Mine doesn't want to see anymore coming in to the house! I look forward to the up dates, regards Greg

Hi Greg. I only came across the kit fairly recently but was instantly very impressed. And I know I am very lucky - Mrs PlaStix has always been very supportive of all my weird and wonderful hobbies - including me playing drums in bands, model railways (helping me operate my layouts at model railway exhibitions) and now plastic mangling!!

The updates of progress on this kit may be a bit slow to start with.

Following this one with interest.

Gonna be a future build for myself.

Thanks for sharing.

No problem.

I'm in, looks a nice kit.

Got to agree with you there - it does look exceptionally nice.

Happy modelling with this fine kit :)

Seems you have everything to get this started at some time. Some weeks ago, i added a Dragon Ranther Ausf. A ( early ) to my Panther Ausf.G in my stash and looking forward to start one of them too ( after the Hurricane )

The G is a newer kit, quite complex but with perfect casted Zimmerit on the parts and the A will have PE Zimmerit from Eduard.

There is also a new tool Panther Ausf. D from Zvezda in 1/35, plenty of kits for the fans of big cats

Thank you Bernd. I shall look forward to following the builds of your two Dragon Panthers at some point. I have looked at the Dragon Panthers before and they do look rather excellent. I don't know anything about the Zvezda version.

will be following this build :popcorn::popcorn:

Hi Mick. Nice to have you along.

I don't know why, but this new kit make me feel the way I first did when I discovered Tamiya all them years ago! :wub::)

Will be watching this with interest as I will be getting one soon :D

There is something very special about this kit - Tamiya seemed to have upped their game for this one. If you are getting one soon you may get started before I properly do - although I am getting tempted to get something done on it.....so we'll see.......

Following this one, might put it on my Christmas list.

Pete

Hi Pete - that sounds like a good plan to me!

That looks to be a very good kit, even by Tamiya standards. I look forward to seeing what you make of it.

Yes I totally agree with you. Hopefully I can do it justice.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I decided today I wanted a closer look at what I might start making first, in the near(ish) future - the Separate Track Link detail set:

20896296805_d3192353bd_c.jpg

So what's in the box:

20275286363_a8d934b4a5_c.jpg

There's two types of part - I've included a view of the top and the bottom of these:

20886603092_0535d4a8b1_c.jpg

.....and the same with these:

20896296455_292e31a865_c.jpg

Here are the instructions explaining what to do with the above:

20896296715_541e169d9b_c.jpg

They do look very nicely detailed but I haven't made any of this type of track before. From the instructions they don't look to bad to make. There does look to be a few areas where a bit of filler may be required on one side of the parts on sprue G.

If I get chance I may give them a wash with warm soapy water so that I can start trying to make a few soon.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 5

Hello Stix, your making the Panther look really good. Antics were selling these for £30 at Avon Model Show, and I never bought one! I'm beginning to regret it now after seeing yours. Joe

• Like 1

Hello Stix, your making the Panther look really good. Antics were selling these for £30 at Avon Model Show, and I never bought one! I'm beginning to regret it now after seeing yours. Joe

Hi Joe. Yes it's a shame you didn't get one. If you're really keen and don't mind getting stuff from Amazon there's a couple of places doing the kit alone for less than £30 at the moment.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks Stix, I might have a look. I was waiting for the Tamiya 1/32nd Mosquito and felt guilty about spending more money at the time. I've also both the new Tamiya Nashorn and Jagdpanzer in my stash as well. Joe

• Like 1

They look simple enough to put together, I think it would be easier if you put the guide horns onto to link while it's still on the sprue. Then it's just remembering how many you've clipped together. When I did my tiger I counted out how many I needed and put them in a pot, I still had leftovers once I had the correct amount. How does that happen?

These look identical to the AFV Tiger tracks I just finished. I tried something different for the install and it worked great. I assembled, as stand alone pieces, 2 links for each side, cut the cast pin out of one, and drilled (with a #80 drill bit) a hole in its place to take a piece of fine copper wire. Fit it to the other link and drill that one also, and, use them as the last link on each side of your track run. When you install the tracks, they can be joined with your piece of wire (from the inside) snip off the excess, and your done!

I found the benefit was, I could drill another link if I wanted, install it and decide if that gave me the sag I wanted. To much? Take the link out again.

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon

Thanks Stix, I might have a look. I was waiting for the Tamiya 1/32nd Mosquito and felt guilty about spending more money at the time. I've also both the new Tamiya Nashorn and Jagdpanzer in my stash as well. Joe

Sounds like an impressive stash!

They look simple enough to put together, I think it would be easier if you put the guide horns onto to link while it's still on the sprue. Then it's just remembering how many you've clipped together. When I did my tiger I counted out how many I needed and put them in a pot, I still had leftovers once I had the correct amount. How does that happen?

That definitely sounds like a good way to go with these - less loose little parts about! ......and I do not know how you had leftovers! Thank you for the suggestion.

These look identical to the AFV Tiger tracks I just finished. I tried something different for the install and it worked great. I assembled, as stand alone pieces, 2 links for each side, cut the cast pin out of one, and drilled (with a #80 drill bit) a hole in its place to take a piece of fine copper wire. Fit it to the other link and drill that one also, and, use them as the last link on each side of your track run. When you install the tracks, they can be joined with your piece of wire (from the inside) snip off the excess, and your done!

I found the benefit was, I could drill another link if I wanted, install it and decide if that gave me the sag I wanted. To much? Take the kink out again.

Colin

Hi Colin. It sounds fiddly but a great idea. Thank you. I will have a bit of practice go at some point.......maybe this weekend.......

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

Thanks for posting up detailed pics of this kit Stix. It looks like a very nice kit overall. One thing that has got me a little curious is the lower hull. It has some odd looking moldings around the final drives / front plate and the instructions appear to show that no glue is to be used when attaching the upper hull. Maybe this kit was/is intended to be released as an RC version too?

• Like 1

Missed the kick-off Stix. The model lives up to it looks I must say. It should be a very impressive build. The add on sets are cream on the cake, they will give it that final necessary detailing.

Hope you do a a parallel build :winkgrin:

• Like 1