Mclaren f1 longtail

Thanks for the comments

So thine is more or less done now so time to make a proper start to the cockpit and yep you've guessed it more of this lovely carbon stuff

The main interior tub has been carbon decal led on any bit that will be seen when finished

20160112_171115_zpscsgk6qor.jpg

All the little boxes I did debate on weather or not to cut them out and stick them back in when done but it seemed to much work for something that isn't going to be hugely visible when done plus I would have probably lost 1 or more of them at some point

20160112_171121_zpsv33okixb.jpg

The dash board has been textured and had other bits of it painted

20160112_171138_zpsvbuo2ha1.jpg

The steering wheel has been painted mostly

20160112_171052_zps54n31vqs.jpg

The column has also been finished

20160112_171030_zpslvyrqjza.jpg

And lastly I have made a start on the many bits of wiring needed in this area 20160112_171044_zps9kv68nav.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 3

Thanks for the kind words

And John try 5 diamonds on ebay or hlj.com they both normally have a lot of different decal sets for this car.

Talking about decals it brings me swiftly on the this next installment

For those of you that saw my last finished build (the ferrari 248f1) will know how much I don't like carbon decals now due to the excess I went to on that build, so where is the logical place to start with the decal work on this? Yep you guessed it the bits that need carbon.

This is one of the engine bay bits that also holds the rear wing stays as well

20151206_230531_zpsixi7pdta.jpg

And some more carbon on the front splitter

20151206_221307_zpsi2ccckcp.jpg

Now for some non carbon related decals.

The offside door

20151206_230545_zpsoaovoglz.jpg

And a quick mock up of the engine covers and roof scoop on the body

20151206_221153_zpstaaqknoo.jpg

As you may have noticed there are no decals on the actual body, well that's because the blue area that goes under the fina decals for both sides need to be painted as the blue decal that was supplied didn't fit properly and left a lot of white areas. Not too happy about that given the decal set alone cost over £20 but I'm not the type of person to complain over something I can sort out quicker than it would take tabu to sort out so painting is the way forward I just hope tamiya french blue is close to decal colour otherwise it's going to look odd

Shaun

Im having the same decal prob with mine.I found French blue was too light? Yours must be a different colour to mine?

Thanks for the comments guys.

Imster the dash is done by using microscale metal foil adhesive brushed on to the primed dashed and using powered over it then tamiya German grey over that, I have just looked back at the picture and in front of me now it the camera has picked up too much of the powder high points.

And lespaul I did find french blue not right so I decanted it and added a darker blue to bring it almost where it should be, it's not perfect by any means but it's close enough not to care anymore

Shaun

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys.

Imster the dash is done by using microscale metal foil adhesive brushed on to the primed dashed and using powered over it then tamiya German grey over that, I have just looked back at the picture and in front of me now it the camera has picked up too much of the powder high points.

And lespaul I did find french blue not right so I decanted it and added a darker blue to bring it almost where it should be, it's not perfect by any means but it's close enough not to care anymore

Shaun

Ill try that Shaun thanks.

Rjfk the carbon decals were all cut by hand mainly by just drawing round the part on the back of a decal sheet.

And no problem lespaul happy to help.

Right so on with the build.

I made a start to the roll cage it's pretty plain and boring just black and greyish padding

20160113_235351_zps53llbgvs.jpg

The cockpit is mainly done

20160114_175601_zpsubnkqpt4.jpg

Just a shot to show the intricately of how the belts go

20160114_175555_zpsqquvaryq.jpg

The steering wheel has been completed and wired up

20160114_175711_zpsgab7igas.jpg

The fire extinguisher was a pain as I couldn't find a good picture of it only a little bit in the corner of pictures with shadows over it so this is the best I could muster from what I had

20160114_220547_zpsujxqntsa.jpg

All stuck on the the rest of the floor now

20160114_220540_zpsrmdf6a3e.jpg

And one quick mock up with the body but this will be a pain when I come to glue it on as it's very tight around the roll cage and front bits

20160114_221117_zpsteaogcdi.jpg

More soon

Shaun

• Like 2

Thanks Keith and Simon it's probably been one of the most enjoyable builds I have had in quite a while, normally at this stage I get bored and start something else and the first build takes forever to add the last bits but with this I can happily say I want to finish it properly. I have even got another with some gulf decals to do in the future now aswell I have liked it that much. Also given the new/different techniques I have tried on this it will help with builds in the future. The one down side to this has been a realisation that this hobby is becoming more and more expensive for me, which isn't too pleasing to the other half.

Shaun

• Like 2

Lovely build Shawn, I think it's fair to that there's always just something you need with this hobby. Try the "there's worse things I could be doing" rebuttal, I'm not liable if it goes wrong though mate !!

I tried your advice mick and it got me 5 extra kits, it could have been the rousing speech I gave or the day now dread (birthday) lol.

So on with the car and given it was my birthday on Saturday I have spent a lot of time recovering from what was a very blurry day by the end, let's just say there's more bottles in the recycling this week than I want to admit to, but I did get around to putting a few touches on this today and getting the last few bits painted.

So this is it. I got the windscreen glued into place, which for how difficult it looks to do in the instructions wasn't hard if anything I just slid in and rather miraculously for me there are no fingerprints to speak of.

20160118_233143_zps2hg7oxur.jpg

And I got it sitting on its wheels to check the ride height, it is a little tall but the wheels are a most rubbing the arches so I don't think there would have been much I could have done about it anyway.

20160118_232648_zpse6zstrw6.jpg

As you can probably tell from the last picture there are 2 big bits of body work missing, the doors have been done on the outside bits but I did neglect to paint the inner parts until today so maybe tomorrow or Wednesday I can have some doors on the car and some endplate for the rear wing, then it will just be adding all the little bits and bobs like antennas and a few more wires.

I can't decide weather to have the car up in its jacks with a wheels or 2 off or just have it sitting on its wheels

Shaun

• Like 4

Not a big update for today, you will see why In a minute

Door inners have been painted and I have tried to use 1 piece of carbon decal for the face with another coming for the side later. It needs so much micro sol and heat to lay it down and it's no where near where I need it yet

20160119_232306_zpsmiuzkt8o.jpg

So as I said above I haven't done much to this, ideally I'd be fully finished now and have this in the rfi section, well this is the reason I'm not, the other half decided this morning that it was time our youngest moved our of our room in with his older brother, I had no problem with this he is almost 1 1/2, but the down side of this decision was I then had to spend most of today taking apart most of our bedroom furniture to move it around to give her more space for her mountings of crap. So ad any bloke would I got my stuff sorted then told her she had to do hers because I didn't want to mess up her "system". So one big bottom wardrobe moved and top shelving moved lower (for me) and had a bit of a clean up of the stash, well the part of its that's in our room anyway. Take note the display cabinet to the left is a ikea detolf that's 1.5-1.7m tall now loom at that beast of a wardrobe again me and me alone had to take that apart, move and then put back together again with no help from the person that made the decision lol

20160119_170009_zpsytie7nbz.jpg

More soon

Shaun

Right so this build has come to an end, this is the final update.

Final assembly has begun

20160121_155316_zpsur0lgj6i.jpg

So as the car is now done I spent the evening making something to go with it or maybe just for future builds aswell

20160123_000000_zpsxoqr1ihe.jpg

All done with the wonder that is Google search and a few bits of paper, glue and card.

Look for the car in the rfi section very soon

To those that commented or just looked in from time to time I thank you and keep an eye out for my next build

Thanks shaun

The undertray is a mix between carbon or kevlar decal and semi gloss black for bits that won't be seen, honestly I don't really put much into the floor of normal cars though as they won't be seen when finished

Shaun

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I've sprayed my under floor now, you can see in my build thread.

I looked all over the web for pics of the underbody of the F1 and couldn't find a single pic.

Which parts are carbon? Any chance I could bother you for a pic of yours underneath?

Thanks mate :D