1/16 Trumpeter PzKpfw IV H

Not a good way to introduce oneself but I saw this and couldn't resist:

DSCN3199.jpg

DSCN3200.jpg

DSCN3201.jpg

Not starting the build yet, just staking out a small plot of BM to mark where I will be building.

Anyone interested in a quick peek in the box next weekend?

:winkgrin:

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 1

It is very interesting that there inside!!!!

With pleasure I will watch building!

After a gun 1/18, Flak 36 88mm from Merit Int. it is terrible to me to buy such big models.....

Edited by Doctorgaz
  • Like 1

And now for something completely different...............

Be great to see the contents!

Looking forward to seeing your magic touch on this beasty :popcorn:

Kev

Hi Kev,

I have had time for a high speed peek at the contents and I find it rather mind blowing. The size is really amazing. I'll take some time for a load of photos this weekend. I might also get enticed into starting up this build. :analintruder:

28/8 update: The box

The box contains 4 smaller boxes, two of which contain the road wheels, suspension parts drive wheels, engine parts etc.

DSCN3203.jpg

The other two boxes hold the hull and turret parts, the engine and fighting compartment parts, a huge bag of track parts and another bag of the connecting pins for the tracks, (99 track pieces for the complete tread on each side, an aluminium main gun barrel, 84 shells for the storage bins in the fighting compartment and so it goes on. There are also 7 sheets of photo etch parts which contain the shell-case bases, storage bin shell holders and also the frame for the radio equipment. There are two sheets of decals, one containing the markings for the shell-cases and one containing markings for four different PzKpfw IV H's, (1st SS Panzer Division Italy 1943, 1st SS Panzer Div. Russia 1943, 12th SS Panzer Div. 1945 and lastly "Windhund" Normandy 1943 which has a very nice camouflage scheme but needs a bit of researching before I take the bait here. A 52 page instruction booklet completes the package.

Most of the parts are moulded in the bog standard Trumpeter grey plastic with the track segments and connecting pins moulded in brown. The periscopes and viewport glass is moulded in transparent plastic obviously. First impressions are very good, no flash at all. There are ejector pin marks which are reasonably shallow so they shouldn't be to much of a problem. Care has been taken to make sure you don't damage parts when removing them from the sprues by taking care of the attachment points, (the fly wheel in one of the photos is a good example):

DSCN3204.jpg

DSCN3205.jpg

DSCN3206.jpg

DSCN3207.jpg

DSCN3208.jpg

DSCN3209.jpg

The fenders are detailed on the underside too but I am not really convinced that there would have been an anti slip profile underneath the fender :coolio:

On the driver/radio operator forward bulkhead you can very clearly see that plastic is smooth making sure the attachment of your own home made Zimmerit or after market ready made Zimmerit will be easy. If you want to make a Zim-free version you can roughen up the plate yourself.

DSCN3210.jpg

DSCN3211.jpg

DSCN3212.jpg

DSCN3213.jpg

http://www.slickpic.com/share/zNNTlTzzUNT,Tw/albums/PzKfwIVH/photo?view=11040517#11040517'>DSCN3214.jpg

DSCN3215.jpg

DSCN3216.jpg

DSCN3217.jpg

The engine compartment bulkhead shows some nice wire on the crew compartment side. Unfortunately the engine compartment side shows the same cable as a hollow marking. MIght need filling :analintruder: The radio equipment is nicely detail, as are the turret hatches.

DSCN3218.jpg

DSCN3219.jpg

DSCN3220.jpg

DSCN3221.jpg

DSCN3222.jpg

DSCN3223.jpg

DSCN3224.jpg

DSCN3225.jpg

The fire extinguisher, shell storage bins and the turret basket floor are nicely detailed as are the periscopes. Trumpeter have included two MG34's next to the internal MG's. Unfortunately I have not seen any ammunition drums or bags in the model so I think I'll have to source them myself.

DSCN3226.jpg

DSCN3227.jpg

DSCN3228.jpg

DSCN3229.jpg

DSCN3230.jpg

DSCN3231.jpg

DSCN3232.jpg

DSCN3233.jpg

DSCN3234.jpg

These photos give a good impression of the size of the IV. It's a rather chunky looking piece of hardware with none of the graceful lines found in the Königstiger or Panther.

The tracks will be a major operation with each segment of track needing a good clean up. The decals and photo etch parts are nicely produced with the decals in register and the PE sandwiched between two layers of tacky plastic sheet to prevent sacrifices to the carpet monster.

The next few photos give an impression of how it compares to the Trumpeter 1/16th T-34, ( an old build from 2006, the finish makes me cringe now :yikes: ):

DSCN3239.jpg

DSCN3235.jpg

DSCN3236.jpg

DSCN3237.jpg

DSCN3238.jpg

My first impression? A very nicely detailed model for a reasonable price. No flash and no warping I have been able to detect. It packs a lot of detail but will need a lot of attention and super detailing to give the interior parts that little bit more realistic look. Out of box it is just a bit too bare inside. As I stated before I won't be jumping strait in and starting the build, still have a JU 88 on the boil on the wingy thing forum. For the time being this thread will be put on hold.

:bye:

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 5

That does look rather nice Julian. I shall definitely be along for the ride when you get this one underway. Interesting to see it alongside your T-34 (which incidentally isn't cringe-worthy at all!)

Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

That does look rather nice Julian. I shall definitely be along for the ride when you get this one underway. Interesting to see it alongside your T-34 (which incidentally isn't cringe-worthy at all!)

Hope you have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you Stix, you too :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi Kev, thanks for the pointer, I'll try and get hold of some :coolio:

Hi Julian they write me about book and thay know only this but it isnt on H version :(

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/books/modelart/afv_vol1.htm

Thank you and your friends for the link Miro, I'll check it out. There seem to be huge amounts of photos of the IV-H exterior but nearly none of the interior :hmmm:

A lotta plastic there mate, I think I might just have to tag along for the build.

Simon.

Hi Simon,

It does seem rather intimidating at first, nearly 2000 parts but most of that goes into shells, tracks, track-pins, wheels and suspension. A lot of repetitive part building though.

I always have a problem with that :winkgrin:

That is a serious amount of plastic in that BIG box there Julian looking forward to see you put your very own stamp on this one :popcorn::popcorn:

Keith

Thanks Keith,

It's in the stash for the moment. Still need some bits and pieces for it and I am hoping someone releases an after market set of Zimmerit.

:coolio:

I'll get some photos online this weekend. Any pointers to a comprehensive Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausführung H reference book? Looks like the interior can use some superdetailing.

If you can find a copy, i highly recommend the Achtung Panzer book....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Achtung-Panzer-No-Panzerkampfwagen-IV/dp/449922621X

• Like 1

It's an open ended statement, As a subject matter I'm interested in seeing it start to finish. But after many, many years of Tigers, King Tigers & T-34's etc in this scale (40 years to my knowledge ) it's nice to see other tanks kitted 1/16 scale.

And why not! As kits go in many scales and subjects we have a glut, whereas there is much that deserve to be better catered for.

I applaud this release, and hope to look forward to see more variety in 1/16 in the years ahead. For the time being though, I look forward to the enjoyment of watching this kit come together :-)

Regards Adrian

Edited by Radpoe Spitfire
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting up all the detailed photos, it certainly looks like a great kit. I will certainly be following this one once you get started.

Check out the afv modeller shop for some very useful items like the MG ammo bags, ammo belts and some other items common to all German tanks. David Parker is now also releasing items dedicated to the Panzer IV so I imagine there will be more to come.

http://shop.afvmodeller.com/customer/home.php?cat=387

Aber are also getting in on the act too with a replacement muzzle brake, turned aluminium rounds, metal track pins etc, etc. It's looking like there will eventually be a ton of aftermarket for this kit, and a giant hole in the wallet to go with it! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

It's an open ended statement, As a subject matter I'm interested in seeing it start to finish. But after many, many years of Tigers, King Tigers & T-34's etc in this scale (40 years to my knowledge ) it's nice to see other tanks kitted 1/16 scale.

And why not! As kits go in many scales and subjects we have a glut, whereas there is much that deserve to be better catered for.

I applaud this release, and hope to look forward to see more variety in 1/16 in the years ahead. For the time being though, I look forward to the enjoyment of watching this kit come together :-)

Regards Adrian

Hi Adrian, i was curious but that's clear now.

cheers,

Julian

Thanks for posting up all the detailed photos, it certainly looks like a great kit. I will certainly be following this one once you get started.

Check out the afv modeller shop for some very useful items like the MG ammo bags, ammo belts and some other items common to all German tanks. David Parker is now also releasing items dedicated to the Panzer IV so I imagine there will be more to come.

http://shop.afvmodeller.com/customer/home.php?cat=387

Aber are also getting in on the act too with a replacement muzzle brake, turned aluminium rounds, metal track pins etc, etc. It's looking like there will eventually be a ton of aftermarket for this kit, and a giant hole in the wallet to go with it! :winkgrin:

Good morning Matt,

I doubt if my build will be able to match the fantastic Kingtiger you are working on. Thanks for the link, sounds like an excellent place to spend a lot of money :coolio::winkgrin:

Cheers,

Julian