1/72 Airfix Canberra: Retirement scheme - very late first entry to 2015!

Hello and after a too long break away, this is my first very late entry to 2015.
A none too accurate portrayal of Canberra XH134 in it's retirement scheme as I saw it back in 2006 at RIAT. A sad day thinking I'd never see a Canberra fly again (oh sooo wrong), and also a day when I was taking my first steps in photography with my brand new digital slr. :photo:
So this is the Airfix Canberra we all know and 'love', sadly missing out on today's new jewel like Airfix toolings that have certainly spoiled me since my return to modelling. :hypnotised:
In the end I didn't go a bundle on fixing her up. I reshaped the root of the tail and replaced the rudder with a more suitable resin part. Resin wheels looked much nicer than the kit ones so they were added as well. A little bit of brass from the usual people was added to brighten up the cockpit. I spent some time filling in the deeper trenches on the fuselage, but I didn't bother with the wings as I didn't find the engraving there quite so offensive. :D
Mild weathering was done with True Earth filters... which may have ended up being too subtle on the hemp upper surfaces, and a little artist oil on the undersides where it's a little dirtier.
Oh, and after totally losing the ability to stretch sprue, I gave up and ordered some of that Uschi van der Rosten elastic rigging which made things considerably easier. :thumbsup:
The stencilling is a bit of a mish mash and not quite right, and I don't think I have all the correct aerials for this time, but I've been SO busy with other life stuff that I've had to shrug my shoulders and go 'close enough'. :)
So here she is, the original followed by my 'interpretation'.
Thank you once again for your attention.
Jonathan
  • Like 54

Excellent workmanship! I like the subtle weathering, it seems quite realistic to me. And don't worry about losing the ability to stretch sprue - I never had it to begin with! :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Blimey! :yikes:

I get up this morning to find my little Canberra has received far more attention than I expected, so thank you all for your attention and for taking the time to comment, on what is a very busy forum with many other smashing builds to look at. :speak_cool:

Are Canberras popular or something? :shrug::D

Wow! You sure this isn't real?

Oh.... If only I did own XH134. :)

Nice looking PR.9 Jonathan, well done! I hope this will be the first of many Canberra's :)

John

Who quite likes Canberra's

Hello John who quite likes Canberras... At the rate of builds so far this year you might see me do another one sometime in 2021. I know everyone around here can be quite patient but...... :o:D

Excellent workmanship! I like the subtle weathering, it seems quite realistic to me. And don't worry about losing the ability to stretch sprue - I never had it to begin with! :)

Cheers,

Bill

Ah... well... I do worry as it seems to be just something else that's going along with most of my faculties. :crying::D

• Like 1

?..True Earth filters... which may have ended up being too subtle on the hemp upper surfaces...

Not to my eyes; that looks just about perfect. Beautiful model of a genuinely great aircraft.

• Like 1

Superb build and finish. :thumbsup:

I photographed the cockpit of WH135 in the static at Fairford - and spotted this little detail that ought to be incorporated into any PR 9 build.....

canberra%20pr9%20cockpit_01.jpg

The person visiting the cockpit after me was an Indian AF VIP - who was politely asked to wait while the pilot climbed up and removed the incriminating evidence :analintruder:

Ken

• Like 2