M551 in Vietnam

This is Academy's 1/35 Sheridan in what I think is new boxing. Nice kit that goes together well with just a couple of gripes, namely: would it really break the Academy bank to include a commander figure? (As depicted on the box art) and the tracks are just too short, way too short, they barely join if you pull them as tight as you can, if you want to show a little track slumping (and who doesn't?) then you have a problem.

There's a few photos on the net showing them in Vietnam, many seem to have been "up armoured" locally which I decided to use as it also helped hide the short track length.

IMG_5678_zpsnif0vtw6.jpg

IMG_5677_zpswky2xarb.jpg

IMG_5679_zpsjc6zmu7u.jpg

IMG_5676_zps2ztve4j1.jpg

The commander then is a Hornet head atop bits and pieces from Verlinden. The idea was that he would be gripping the .50 and pointing out an enemy fighter. My careful positioning didn't quite work and he seems to beating the .50 now, maybe it had jammed!

It's all brush painted over a grey primer coat. The main colour is Humbrol 66 with a mix of Humbrol 93 & 70 in various ratios applied in several thin coats for the dust with lots of Winsor & Newton Acrylic matt applied in between with lots of drying time in between everything. I don't model quick.

It's been sat finished for a couple of weeks and I've forgotten (most) of the frustration and now quite like it. One more for the cabinet!

Cheers.

• Like 15

That's top work Phil! Are they cases of Bud or Marlboro lying around on the back of the turret? Nice touch and where did you get them?

Thanks very much!

The cases of Bud, Marlboro & c rats are all from Real Model, they do quite a lot of Vietnam era box work, cut them out & fold them up stuff. He also does the same style for more modern era as well.

Thanks again.