Flipping Airfix Swift!

Andy Robbins

Hear hear

Or is it here here?

I'm not quite sure? :)

But what ever you say about the Swift I bet it's not as much of a pile of sh...... cr...... nonsense as their 1/72 Concorde!

Graham

OMG, nine pages into a thread on what I consider to be one of the ugliest most unfortunate aeroplanes the RAF operated post war, one I swore I'd never model but then I saw the Aircraft monthly article on the Swift & saw the Lithgow record breaker profile & went Hmmmmm..... so I'm still reading. I hope Airfix is too because they jolly well should be if they aren't. I probably will buy one oneday now though. :unsure:

Steve.

Or is it here here?

I'm not quite sure? :)

But what ever you say about the Swift I bet it's not as much of a pile of sh...... cr...... nonsense as their 1/72 Concorde!

Graham

I wasn't sure either so I asked the font of all knowledge otherwise known as the wife.😁

OMG, nine pages into a thread on what I consider to be one of the ugliest most unfortunate aeroplanes the RAF operated post war,

I'm glad you qualified that 'post war' since you may not have seen the Avro Bison yet....

• Like 1

OK, we're back to Matchbox kits again, whoopee! Now then chaps, the ONE and Only kit I have ever built in over 50 years of modeling which did not need any fettling or filler was the Matchbox Hawker Tempest. Now that is indeed a benchmark to aim for. OK, so it didn't resemble exactly a Tempest but you get the point.

Nige B

Hi Nige

The Matchbox Tempest does a very good job of resembling a Tempest..

built one here

http://www.klueser.eu/kit.php?index=870&language=en

have a image search for Tempest II, overall it's decent shapewise I think.

• Like 1

I did not want to start a new thread,but thought I would pass this across you all!?

The Canopy when fitted closed of this Airfix Swift looks a bit too long and also too small in height!?When compared to my PJ Model and Magna ones,it definitely looks odd,and I notice someone has ordered a new canopy set!??

It does not hit you in the face until you put it next to another version.It maybe be just me,but even comparing with Photos it looks too short in height!!?

Whilst on the subject of Airfix Hoods,I have just built the Sabre 4 as a first batch Wildenrath OCU example,and find the rear canopy is awful,with large moulding problems along the front,not where the sprues attach,and along the bottom,such that I am fitting a nice Pavla replacement.Otherwise it is fine and art a sensible price,so no other complaints!!

Got my Airfix Swift FR5 today, looks amazing (being a CBk'er) they've really up'd their game recently, I'm really looking forward to getting amongst this kit to see if I can resolve the problems I've read in here!!

. . . Kes (optimistic at the best of times!?!?)

Edited by Kes

Hi Nige

The Matchbox Tempest does a very good job of resembling a Tempest..

built one here

http://www.klueser.eu/kit.php?index=870&language=en

have a image search for Tempest II, overall it's decent shapewise I think.

I have one of these in my stash... Suddenly I am really tempted to build it! :)

Edited by Bjorn

I used that kit to convert it to a Seafury when I was ten years old... I never made it but it's still on my desk because I use it as my airbrush guinea pig.

I'd love to built it again, it fit very well and detail is quite acceptable even now.