Hunter crashes at Shoreham

sinnerboy

Just seen this on the BBC news page:

"A light aircraft has crashed close to an airfield on the Isle of Wight.

The single engine plane came down behind hangars at Isle of Wight Airport at Sandown shortly after 10:20 BST, Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue said.

The male pilot was airlifted to hospital in Southampton with serious but not life threatening, injuries.

An investigation is underway into the cause of the crash. A World War Two commemoration event was being held at the airfield at the time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-34026444

Missed it earlier. Do we know anything about it?

Edited by chaddy

Mike wouldn't joke about such things... he's probably hoping that it might help the investigators. I really hope it spared the poor folks at the lights, but it looks unlikely after seeing the video :(

• Like 1

Why would it be a joke? There are loads of cars stationary at that junction; there is even one car coming through the lights (moving to the left) and passes just as the plane hits the road. If we are watching videos by show attendees and the like, what is wrong with mentioning that someone in their car, close to the scene, may have a better image of what happened? I'm sure that the emergency services will already be considering this for accident investigation evaluators etc.

Mike

• Like 2

Terrible news, and having just seen the video, I don't think that the pilot, or anyone at the impact site, could have survived.

If you check and pause the video, he has the flaps deployed at the top of the loop and they are still deployed at impact.

I know it was a common tactic in mock combat to use flap to lose speed. Can only speculate if this has some bearing on what happened.

If you check and pause the video, he has the flaps deployed at the top of the loop and they are still deployed at impact.

I know it was a common tactic in mock combat to use flap to lose speed. Can only speculate if this has some bearing on what happened.

To early to speculate. But use of flap tightens the turn rate. Most likely to have been a normal part of the airshow routine. It does look like he mushed in from the loop but the reason that happened will not be clear for a while. Mechanical problem or pilot error. Far too soon to say.

I saw the same aircraft and presumably the same pilot at a couple of airshows recently. TThey were very precise displays.

Edited by noelh

Awful. Condolences to anyone affected or involved. The videos and pictures are quite chilling but perhaps will be able to contribute to determining what went wrong.

If the pilot has indeed survived, then that is a miracle, but unfortunately 7 deaths have now been confirmed, my thoughts to their friends and families.

looks like it stalled during the loop

Horrible news, terrible for all the people caught up in this, condolences to all those terribly unlucky people on the road.

That Hunter first flew in 1955 and was converted to a T7 in 1959, was at Jever in Germany the same time as my dad so he may well have come into contact with it.

Gutted by this news of this tragedy.

Edited by SimonR

Very sad news looks like it pancaked on the motorway coming out the loop at the bottom there seemed a lot of birds around. Hope people are safe and not hurt to bad.

It does annoy me that already the media are scaremongering stiring and tryin to suggest airshows are bad etc etc. Sadly life has its accidents and they are never pleasant but alas it's reality and it happens.

Shame about the Hunter. I never rember there being so many air crashes as there seems this past few years. Awful.