A man asking for directions

Phil32

Evening! Hopefully a quick q but i'm having trouble finding a definitive answer via google...

I brush paint with humbrol acrylic. Im cracking flat brushes and use of acrylic thinner quite nicely (still guilty of going over the same area twice today and getting streaks mind!). My question is, painting say a Spitfire underbelly, is it best to go in the same direction every coat, or best to alternate? So best to go x axis x axis x axis, or best to go x axis y axis x axis and so on?

Cheers!

I don't brush paint anymore, but one of the things that I did notice when I did is that painting a second coat across the grain of the first sometimes left me with a weird cross-hatching effect when it caught the light. So I'd suggest that you paint in one direction and always from the direction of the nose to the tail or front to back. At least that way, wing weathering and streaks will follow the flow so to speak.

• Like 1

The advise I've seen is to go in one direction and I've been following the pattern described by Grayson. Applying multiple thin layers of paint and allowing each one to dry thoroughly should help minimize brush strokes. I vaguely recall reading somewhere if you must alternate the direction then do it on different layers and not the same one. If in doubt then experiment on a piece of scrap plastic or old model to see the kind of effect you are producing.

Edited by Knight_Flyer

That is a useful piece of advice! :)

Agreed!

Thanks for these responses guys... my streaks were definately caused by the 'overbrushing' trap, thinking ah I missed a bit there and foolishly going back instead of amending on the next coat. Other bits look almost airbrushed, theres hope there is!!